Sanding a frame, should this worry me?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tarmackev

by tarmackev

ImageImageImage
The white filler specifically? I know lots of frames have a cosmetic layer of weave. This doesn’t.
Just wondering if I should be concerned by the filler, it’s not huge amounts, is it standard on big brand frames?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

The only ones that actually knows this, is people who have seen it for real.
I know Jure Berk collected frames and checked layups aso...
Otherwise, a not to wild guess, would be that it's rather common.
That's partly why i like my frames unpainted. I also like to see the weave.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattr

by mattr

The fact that it's still partially assembled should be more of a worry, that dust gets in everywhere!

tarmackev

by tarmackev

mattr wrote:The fact that it's still partially assembled should be more of a worry, that dust gets in everywhere!
I know, I’d just fully re-cabled and assembled it and the lacquer started coming away. I should have stripped it completely but just couldn’t face it yet.
I’ll strip it all and clean it properly before it’s assembled.

AJS914

by AJS914

I would make sure to sand that outside and wear a mask.

Orbital

by Orbital

I once sanded down a Deda seatpost, removed all the filler (which was significant) and used black JB Weld for plastic to go over as a filler for imperfections. Turned out pretty well.

mattr

by mattr

tarmackev wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:06 pm
I should have stripped it completely but just couldn’t face it yet.
Takes ~45 minutes?
tarmackev wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:06 pm
I’ll strip it all and clean it properly before it’s assembled.
Going to take a few hours, you'll probably trash your cables with all the carbon/clearcoat/lacquer dust.

And yes, outside, decent mask. It's nasty stuff.

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Have seen plenty of evos stripped with filler around the head and seat tube junctions. Don't stress.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tarmackev

by tarmackev

I’ve used a mask so all good there.
The reason I didn’t strip it was the internal cables that are a pain, even using a sheath I couldn’t guide the front and rear mech cables under the BB very easily.

Thanks for the info everyone.

iamalex

by iamalex

There were a couple of spots of filler on my Izalco seat stays. More annoying are any small surface voids that paint has filled.

I’d recommend tape over or plugging with paper the BB, any bearings and so on. You may end up having to remove parts anyway to be able to sand away where those parts contact the fame.

If you really can’t do this outside maybe wet sand to limit the dust travelling all over your house/garage. Really nasty stuff and you’ll be finding/inhaling it for weeks/months afterwards.

salmonbun

by salmonbun

I worked in carbon repair and painting for roughly a year and everytime sanding down bikes there would be filler on the frame. This is to account for the pinholes in the carbon and what not so that the paint will look good when its finished. Cannondales specifically seem to have a large amount of filler and ive seen it in blue, white. and even green. Its like whatever they happen to have on hand that day.

Wet sand if you can like the commenter above said, it gives you a better sense of how much further to go. I also wouldnt be worried at all. I used a festool orbital sander for most every frame except for the tight spots, its really difficult to compromise your frame.

Have fun!

tarmackev

by tarmackev

salmonbun wrote:I worked in carbon repair and painting for roughly a year and everytime sanding down bikes there would be filler on the frame. This is to account for the pinholes in the carbon and what not so that the paint will look good when its finished. Cannondales specifically seem to have a large amount of filler and ive seen it in blue, white. and even green. Its like whatever they happen to have on hand that day.

Wet sand if you can like the commenter above said, it gives you a better sense of how much further to go. I also wouldnt be worried at all. I used a festool orbital sander for most every frame except for the tight spots, its really difficult to compromise your frame.

Have fun!
Valuable info there. Much appreciated. I’ve used a mist sprayer on the frame.
Thankfully 80% of the frame had been repainted and the lacquer just peeled off so it’s only the top tube and head tube that need significant sanding.
Any tips on painting? I just want it black, I have the clear coat and decals so I’m thinking primer and black gloss or mat paint.
Again thank you. Image

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com