Cervelo R5 Vs Felt FR FRD

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

the jackel

by the jackel

Hi guys,

Just looking for any thoughts or experience around these two frames. I've been on a 2007 cervelo R3 for some years and looking for a change. I can get a lightly used Felt FR FRD frame or a 2016 R5 for a decent price. Any thoughts on if either is worth it?

Also interested in thoughts about any other ideas. I'm initally tempted by a new R5 and am quite keen on the new Look 785 huez rs but both are right at the top of any budget I can scrape together.

Appreciate any ideas/thoughts/advice

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spud

by spud

check the geometry on the R5 - I believe that vintage uses a long headtube, which may make it difficult to get your desired handle bar position.

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

Owning a lightened felt f2... i am partial! The frd is going to be a top end frame, no question. The only complaint i have seen, is that price aside, that bb mounted brake can result in fuss, like all brakes mounted in that area.

What size? If you don’t got for the frd, and it is size 51... please (edit: please please!!!) contact me. Edit: darn i stalked your posts and you ride a 58. :-(
8BB4E250-119C-4328-9D39-44E08049F3DF.jpeg
B7393211-4014-425F-9BFD-363EA606CCAF.jpeg
Matching carbon wheels, saddle, bars, seatpost, frame. :-D

Jacksoneaker

by Jacksoneaker

This isn’t really relevant to the comparison, but I have an FX in the clear coat with the checker board like on the FRD and it is absolutely stunning. Its so cool, always a conversation starter, but also subtle at the same time. The pattern on the carbon within the weave is such a neat texture.

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

I have to agree. Love the 18k textreme.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

The new navy/orange R5 frameset looks great (only seen pics though)!
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

the jackel

by the jackel

spud wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:09 pm
check the geometry on the R5 - I believe that vintage uses a long headtube, which may make it difficult to get your desired handle bar position.
I'd have to get on a 56 if I went with the cervelo but that's no great drama. Thanks for heads up.

Thanks for comments so far, I do really like the Felt but slightly dubious about the rear brake. I like to run my pads close so the last thing I need is a new frame with brake rub. Feels like a gamble.

Any one have direct comparison between the new and previous gen R5? I have to agree about the navy/orange paint too, looks great.