Campag cassettes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

petert123

by petert123

Is it reasonable to assume I could use a Super Record cassette instead of a Record one, on my EPS Record groupset right now. Looking to save a few grams as Super Record has more titanium. Worth it? Shopping around difference not too much.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

Not worth it from a cost per gram point of view but all Campagnolo cassettes are up and downwards compatible so you can use SR or Chorus.
Last edited by AJS914 on Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

Id say mostly not worth it due to the wear on the Ti cogs...

silvalis

by silvalis

how many km do the Ti cogs last for anyway?
Chasse patate

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I don’t know, but I don’t think it’s a problem. I will wear out the steel cogs in the middle of the cassette before the larger ti cogs. Even if ti as a material wears faster than steel under the same scenario the thing is it’s only used in the largest cogs because that’s where the biggest weight savings can be made. And there is so much more chain wrap around the large cassettes that the force is much more distributed than say if the chain was engaged with only a few teeth in a very small cog.
It’s mostly a cost decision for me. With Campy I generally would go for Record cassettes if larger cogs are involved and Chorus for up to 27tooth max for example. If saving grams is your primary concern then go for it, because unless you’re in the largest cogs the vast majority of the time on the bike, I don’t think wear will be an issue relative to the other cogs. But you’ll pay dearly for those gram savings.
Last edited by Calnago on Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

GaBa

by GaBa

I also only use Chorus cassettes. I have an option to buy slightly used SR 11-29 for less than half the MSRP and am thinking about it and putting it on Boras to save some more grams. Probably wouldn't pay MSRP.

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

I found for me using 11-23 blocks (pancake flat around here) I was constantly wearing the 17/16 cogs in the Ti.. yes they are replaceable, but they are not single cogs are in a group of 3...

Geoff

by Geoff

I think that you might actually be surprised at how long the Campagnolo TI cogs last. I have some 10-speed ones that are almost 10 years old and are not skipping yet. If you clean the chain and the cassette regularly, you should get years of use out of it, but I am sure that your weather and other riding conditions will have a huge impact on that.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

ParisCarbon wrote:I found for me using 11-23 blocks (pancake flat around here) I was constantly wearing the 17/16 cogs in the Ti.. yes they are replaceable, but they are not single cogs are in a group of 3...
Are you sure that’s just not because the 17/16 cogs are the ones that are receiving the most wear. Those are the ones I would always notice wearing first as well, regardless of material. I don’t know why you would choose a SR 11/23 except for some gram savings, and of course, it’s SR so why not. But on the flats especially it hardly matters. When you start incorporating the larger cogs into your cassettes, then ti saves a relatively lot more weight and you’re still going to wear out your 17/16 tooth steel cogs first even if they’re steel. I have one 11/23 tooth SR cassette. It resides on the Lemond Direct Drive since the days of using it in real life are gone for me and the close ratios are really nice on a trainer. When/if it wears out I’ll replace with an all steel Chorus cassette for sure.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

Calnago wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:06 pm
ParisCarbon wrote:I found for me using 11-23 blocks (pancake flat around here) I was constantly wearing the 17/16 cogs in the Ti.. yes they are replaceable, but they are not single cogs are in a group of 3...
Are you sure that’s just not because the 17/16 cogs are the ones that are receiving the most wear. Those are the ones I would always notice wearing first as well, regardless of material. I don’t know why you would choose a SR 11/23 except for some gram savings, and of course, it’s SR so why not. But on the flats especially it hardly matters. When you start incorporating the larger cogs into your cassettes, then ti saves a relatively lot more weight and you’re still going to wear out your 17/16 tooth steel cogs first even if they’re steel. I have one 11/23 tooth SR cassette. It resides on the Lemond Direct Drive since the days of using it in real life are gone for me and the close ratios are really nice on a trainer. When/if it wears out I’ll replace with an all steel Chorus cassette for sure.
Its def because they are the most used cogs.. main reason I went with the Record version.. The SR came in the complete groupsets when I bought them, and the place I ordered from didn't want to swap the SR for the Record.. now I just get the Record versions... Besides vacation, I don't think I used my small ring, or anything smaller than a 53X19 last year while training and racing around here.. closest significant hill is an hour and a half drive each way to get to around here...

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

ParisCarbon wrote:...The SR came in the complete groupsets when I bought them, and the place I ordered from didn't want to swap the SR for the Record.. now I just get the Record versions...
Same exact reason I have a SR 11/23 cassette. Otherwise it’d be Chorus in that size. But when they get really big, like 29 and up (stop the madness ha), I have been opting for the Record versions. Now with 12sp, I think they’re all steel.

dj97223

by dj97223

I've had good luck finding reasonably-priced low-mileage Record cassettes -- both 10- and 11-speed -- that work great.
“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

dj97223 wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:38 am
I've had good luck finding reasonably-priced low-mileage Record cassettes -- both 10- and 11-speed -- that work great.
I got an 11-23 Record from Ribble for $140 CDN before Christmas!! That same cassette in Canada is about $400!!!

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Good price. Probably not the most popular cassettes these days. I don’t think I’d buy a used cassette. No idea how much wear is on it and it’s next to impossible to tell just from looking at it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

Yeah.. the 11-23 is harder and harder to come by, and usually cheap when you find one! I have 2 new ones.. I see now ribble is selling Super Record 12-25 for $234 cdn.. they have the 11s on blowout..