Cervelo / BBRight Bottom Bracket

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TiCass

by TiCass

icantaffordcycling wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:06 pm
I have no idea what I am going to do with my 2018 S3 disc either. From these comments, it looks like I'm going wheels mfg or c-bear, but I'm leaning towards wheels mfg. (Hambini's cheap one is OOS :( ). I was also disappointed with the glue in a compression plug that is actually just an aluminum tube with a star nut inside. What did you guys replace that expander with? I'm thinking enve because its bling but the enve compression plug is not a very weight weenie.
You can look at BBInfinite too. Its also a one piece design. I have it on my S3 too since two year. Never heard a creaking again.
Fun side-perk, it made the BB area perceptibly stiffer, which was a nice touch.

AnkitS

by AnkitS

TiCass wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:21 pm
You can look at BBInfinite too.
$205 is too much for my build. I am constrained to a 2.2k budget and this is what my build is looking like right now.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dfischer1

by dfischer1

stevod wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:15 pm
I've done about 10,000k on a Wheels Mfg thread-together BBRight with angular contact bearings. No issues or noises ever. No sign of any bearing issue when I just transferred it to another frame.
+1 Very happy with mine.

AnkitS

by AnkitS

dfischer1 wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:47 am
+1 Very happy with mine.
Which version do you have? I am leaning towards the regular steel but angular should theoretically be better.

jones1991

by jones1991

hambini are good, similar to bb infinite but dont require and spacers, ie made to fit your crankset

kode54

by kode54

wheelsONfire wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:59 pm
I would order Hambinis bottom bracket.
https://www.hambini.com/bike-parts.html?frametype=43
As great as Hambini BBs are with tolerances...Hambini clearly states that the Cervelo BB shell is the problem. So no matter what you put in it may not matter as much. I put together a R5 for a friend and we used a Wheels Manufacturing BB...which is similar or the same as the Enduro version. That has worked great for several years so far. The cups screw together.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Token BB has a really good system that also works.
It's somekind of rubber or something expanding and therefor hinders the BB from creaking and moving.
I bought this after Rotors, which i managed to make slightly (and i mean slighty) oval.

Actually, Tokens designt reminds me of my Bike Ahead seatpost (which also is excellent. Very little torque makes it totally locked and dead silent)
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

jones1991

by jones1991

kode54 wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:17 pm
wheelsONfire wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:59 pm
I would order Hambinis bottom bracket.
https://www.hambini.com/bike-parts.html?frametype=43
As great as Hambini BBs are with tolerances...Hambini clearly states that the Cervelo BB shell is the problem. So no matter what you put in it may not matter as much. I put together a R5 for a friend and we used a Wheels Manufacturing BB...which is similar or the same as the Enduro version. That has worked great for several years so far. The cups screw together.
yes thats true but he also states his bb design eliminates creaks, also i like the ide aof bein able to tap out the old bearings and replace with new as opposed to throwing the whole unit away and getting a new one.

also using a bearing retainer like loctite 648 or 601 helps a lot

kode54

by kode54

yes. With most screw together BB shells...creaks are less likely than two pressed in cups. In the Enduro, you can still just remove the bearings using a bearing extractor. Enduro has a new(ish) BB bearing extractor that will remove it slowly, not like the Park Tool hammer one.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

hambini

by hambini

If you have massive misalignment then it doesn't really matter what you put in there, you will have a problem, most of the time this can be overcome but an off the shelf solution may not work.

The best way is to measure misalignment but if you don't have access to the gear to do that, a crude alternative is to do a spin test. bearings that are well aligned spin very freely (assuming the preload has not been frigged)

You may want to check this before you go and spend your hard earned cash. The alignment and fit will have more effect on bearing life than the material (ceramic/steel)

Example of a spin test on my BB, this is a neglected bike, I don't look after it.

Hambini Aeronautical Engineer, Polluting YouTube since 2016 - views expressed are my own...

dfischer1

by dfischer1

icantaffordcycling wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:28 am
dfischer1 wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:47 am
+1 Very happy with mine.
Which version do you have? I am leaning towards the regular steel but angular should theoretically be better.
Regular steel.

Roadrocket

by Roadrocket

Just going to replace BBB screw-together bottom bracket on my new S5 for some C-Bear ceramic press in bb. C-Bear manual says to use anti-seize paste while bike manual says to use grease, or Loctite 641.
Which one to follow?
Thanks.

TiCass

by TiCass

Roadrocket wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:59 pm
Just going to replace BBB screw-together bottom bracket on my new S5 for some C-Bear ceramic press in bb. C-Bear manual says to use anti-seize paste while bike manual says to use grease, or Loctite 641.
Which one to follow?
Thanks.
I don't know. But... mind to share the weight saving, BBB -> C-Bear?

Roadrocket

by Roadrocket

Not sure if there´s any because C-Bear scales at 105g.
Don´t know the weight of the BBB yet, but I´ll let you know once it´s removed.

Just need the advice how to lubricate that hole :D

AnkitS

by AnkitS

Update: got wheels mfg standard steel. Easy installation. No problems so far.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com