Cervelo / BBRight Bottom Bracket

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

virenque

by virenque

Can I check what bottom bracket is everyone using with Cervelo / BBRight frames? Do you use any Loctite/expoxy during assembly and if yes which type?

Thanks in advance for feedback on this!!

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Cervelo frames require plastic or alloy cups pressed into them.

If you are a heavy rider or a sprinter or a low cadence climber you need to be extra careful.

Try pressing in the cups without retaining compound first. If they are a tight fit then you could try without retaining compound.

If they don't require much effort to press in you better use retaining compound. It all depends on the bb shell tolerances in your frame. (I forgot which type works on a carbon surface and/or plastic/alloy. You might need something special and use a primer first. I've used 609 or 638 on metal surfaces. I've cheated and used on carbon once without a problem but it's not recommended)

If you are unlucky and get a poor tolerance frame (cervelo isn't famous for being great) and you happen to be a heavier or stronger rider, you will run into problems. You might need to get a custom bottom bracket or at least a screw together bottom bracket a la bbinfinite.

Depends on your circumstances. I'm a light guy and my (fake) cervelo s5 runs fine without any special bb or retaining compound.

There are other benefits of running a screw together bb such as improved bearing life.

/a

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

1415chris

by 1415chris

I would skip plastic bb straight away and look towards aluminium threaded-together or as a one piece brackets.
I mounted my first plastic bb-righ using loctite with retainer. No problems till it came to replacement time. Oh boy, what a fight...
But the positive aspect of this exercise was that I learned how strong carbon frames can be ;)
Next brackets were pressed without any fillers/retainers. As it is stated above, how successful plastic bb can be depends on tolerances.
Now I'm on aluminium threaded-together and would recommend this solution as far superior to plastic PFs.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

alcatraz wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:29 am
Depends on your circumstances. I'm a light guy and my bike that has nothing to do with the one being queried runs fine without any special bb or retaining compound.
Fixed that for you.

siim

by siim

I have C-Bear BB installed to my R3 Disc and it's been trouble free so far. Not ridden much yet: less than 1500km.

none

by none

I have used Teflon plumbing tape to remedy noisy b/b on carbon frames. That seems to work after handful of applications.

uraqt

by uraqt

What crank?

C

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I would order Hambinis bottom bracket.
https://www.hambini.com/bike-parts.html?frametype=43
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

stevod

by stevod

I've done about 10,000k on a Wheels Mfg thread-together BBRight with angular contact bearings. No issues or noises ever. No sign of any bearing issue when I just transferred it to another frame.

Installs pretty easily with just a little grease:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3i66Nmo8Eyw

S

stevod

by stevod

^it's also lighter than the part-plastic BBB one that Cervelo were shipping in their frames recently.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

siim wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:24 am
I have C-Bear BB installed to my R3 Disc and it's been trouble free so far. Not ridden much yet: less than 1500km.
Same with my S5. Better (quieter) than my old CeramicSpeed coated.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

modcon

by modcon

Standard sram press fit for BB30. A touch over 10000km, no issues. 83kg, powerful rider, lots of climbing. This is for an R3 disc, the first iteration.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Andres

by Andres

virenque wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:27 am
Can I check what bottom bracket is everyone using with Cervelo / BBRight frames? Do you use any Loctite/expoxy during assembly and if yes which type?

Thanks in advance for feedback on this!!
Had good luck with either the thread together from Wheels Manufacturing or Torqtite from Enduro, or using the Morgan Blue waterproof paste mentioned in a different thread. Seems like Rotor BB's did the worst out of any plastic BB's, Sram PF30's seemed to work quite well.

Stueys

by Stueys

Another vote for cbear. Mines been in for two years now with zero issues.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AnkitS

by AnkitS

I have no idea what I am going to do with my 2018 S3 disc either. From these comments, it looks like I'm going wheels mfg or c-bear, but I'm leaning towards wheels mfg. (Hambini's cheap one is OOS :( ). I was also disappointed with the glue in a compression plug that is actually just an aluminum tube with a star nut inside. What did you guys replace that expander with? I'm thinking enve because its bling but the enve compression plug is not a very weight weenie.