China integrated handlebar like Trek

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ghesso

by ghesso

Has anyone bought the integrated handlebars like bontrager trek from china? which seller can you recommend?
I have seen EC90 and many other sellers, the images and the measurements always seem the same, in the end is produced by a single manufacturer?

alcatraz

by alcatraz

They are fine for lighter riders. (Chinese people are lighter than westeners so their "versions" don't get tested by 100kg riders exactly.)

They aren't as light as originals. Maybe 30-35gr heavier They are very stiff though.

Get them unbranded so you don't get issues.

Look for the big forum thread about them. "Bontrager xxx integrated dropbars/handlebars something something".

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

F45

by F45

Always avoided them because of no -17 options and they were heavier than a separate bar/stem.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Mine is 250gr with bolts (400/90) and that is pretty hard to beat with bar+stem. Apparently it's on the lower end.

I paid 50usd. Still going on strong after 2 years. My friend broke his in a crash. Wasn't the bars fault and it didnt break clean off, they cracked by the shifter clamp so one drop is moving sideways by a few cm. Still possible to ride it on the tops :lol:.

The weight was secondary. Primarily I wanted a combo that didn't suffer delamination at the stem clamp. Being integrated it can't happen.

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

I wouldn't do it. A good friend's cracked around the stem-bar interface - just badly made.

glepore

by glepore

I have two sets that have been flawless. One has going on 3 seasons, one 2. I believe they're all the same and differ only in logo.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

F45

by F45

Whenever I get some China bars I put them on the rug with a 4x4 wood and stand on them at different angles, giving a little bounce. If no cracking noises are heard they are a pass. This has never let me down.

none

by none

F45 wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:09 pm
Whenever I get some China bars I put them on the rug with a 4x4 wood and stand on them at different angles, giving a little bounce. If no cracking noises are heard they are a pass. This has never let me down.
Do you perform the same test with other bars, too?

Kumppa

by Kumppa

Do you know why branded bars cost more? Becouse they also get their desing tested and they have quality control. Also they are taking responsibility or atleast they have something to lose with bad desing. I bet these alibaba sellers don't even give a shit if someone broke his neck.

With branded stuff you should have somekind of trust on quality but with Chinese you can't never know how it's made or who actually made it. So not bad advice to test these Chinese products yourself before using them.

fabriciom

by fabriciom

Kumppa wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:33 pm
Do you know why branded bars cost more? Becouse they also get their desing tested and they have quality control. Also they are taking responsibility or atleast they have something to lose with bad desing. I bet these alibaba sellers don't even give a shit if someone broke his neck.

With branded stuff you should have somekind of trust on quality but with Chinese you can't never know how it's made or who actually made it. So not bad advice to test these Chinese products yourself before using them.
Your fine paying 3 or 4 times for "responsability" and a name?

I'm poor, I'll stick with the cheapo and I'll do the quality control at home.

Kumppa

by Kumppa

Where did I say it's bad to buy Chinese stuff? I told him some reason why branded stuff cost more and that testing should not be necessary. So you are doing that quality control yourself what I was talking on my last sentence. If you do it right it's probaply enough.

I am not rich either as I am student but there is also things like recycling and labor what I care about.

bremerradkurier

by bremerradkurier

All the counterfeit branded bars out there make it a bad idea to buy branded bars from Amazon-their warehouses don't have the technical expertise to refuse returns from unscrupulous buyers returning Ali bought branded bars for authentic versions.

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

My china made stuff is limited.

Carbon seatpost (friend bought it) - snapped in half within 30s of riding. 25$

Carbon saddle: light, 25$. Solid. 3k weave was a not the best, wavy is places.

Carbon wheels: have yet to build. Look really good. Very nice finish. A few flaws in the final carbon cosmetic layer (waves or stretched weave), but overall quite nicely done!

So why are they cheaper? Less markup as ebay/amazon/alibaba dropshippers make less per sale. Lower quality control (weight, cosmetics, etc), so expect more minir cosmetic flaws. Less customer service, sometimes less warranty. But in the end, it is often the same stuff as what you get with a brand name, sometimes better.

bremerradkurier

by bremerradkurier

I have about 6 months on a Toseek carbon bar with a 3ttt Ergonova form factor from Ali Express that had well over a hundred previous orders-after I bought it, I ran a USB endoscope camera down the inside which was pretty cleanly done and no cracks so far after doing a re-wrap last month.

ubers

by ubers

Informative thread on integrated bars here:

https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... integrated

Also worth watching:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqAN7AYs3pg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com