Zipp/SRAM XD disc brake wheel issue

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

cunn1n9

by cunn1n9

Hi,

has anyone had this issue I currently have with related to a Zipp 303 NSW Disc wheel and SRAM XD Freehub.

I purchased the wheels several months ago and they came with a standard Shimano freehub. I was supplied with all the end caps for the wheel (thru-axle as well as QR) plus QR skewers. The bike I have is thru-axle as are all recent disc brake bikes. I wish to use the wheels on my CX bike and as it is 1x I wanted a 10 tooth cog. Hence I bought a SRAM 10-42 cassette and ordered the XD hub to fit it too. The hub arrived but only with the QR end cap. On talking to the local distributor I was told that that is what it comes with and that I need to buy the thru axle XD end cap for $90!

I cannot understand this. Firstly, as all disc bikes come with thru axles the QR parts are useless. The hub should come with thru axle end cap as well so that I can use it. Second, the fact that this end cap is required as an additional purchase is not advertised anywhere as far as I can tell and certainly the bike shop was not aware of this.

Anyone have this happen? Very frustrated with them.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

My NSWs came with the TA endcaps in the in their respective accessory bags. Are you saying your NSWs didn’t come with TA endcaps or that the XD[R] driver requires a different TA endcap than what was originally supplied?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cunn1n9

by cunn1n9

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:35 am
My NSWs came with the TA endcaps in the in their respective accessory bags. Are you saying your NSWs didn’t come with TA endcaps or that the XD[R] driver requires a different TA endcap than what was originally supplied?
My NSW Disc wheel came with TA and QR endcaps for Shimano hub. The Shimano end caps are not compatible with the XD dribver. When I bought the XD driver I was supplied with only the QR endcap not the TA endcap. Of course I need the XD TA endcap and Zipp want me to pay for that (quite a lot for a simple part) while supplying a useless piece that fits no modern bike.

Not very impressed.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Xd on road hubs is unusual. It will come more and more of course. New generation sram will use it and that 3t strada bike will need it on its 9-32t hub.

Maybe run a cheap 2nd hand 11-36/40/42 cassette until you find the part you are missing cheaper.

I'm wondering if mtb hubs and road hubs have the same part there. Maybe it's longer on the mtb hubs.

Check if you have a 15 or 17mm axle. You could get the cap from any brand hub using the same axle dimensions. Might need to shorten it or use it with a non-optimal seal.

Jugi

by Jugi

alcatraz wrote: I'm wondering if mtb hubs and road hubs have the same part there. Maybe it's longer on the mtb hubs.
If the axle spacing is the same (not 148mm for a comparable MTB model) there shouldn't be any reason for different end caps (at least not by design).

stringbean

by stringbean

The end cap for TA comes with the wheels you order according to the body you specified.You specified shimano body so they sent you shimano end cap.
If you specified sram xd body when you ordered the wheels they would of sent you the xd end cap that fits the 10 sp cog.
School fees.
As far as I know this is the case with every wheel manufacturer

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

alcatraz wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:22 am

Check if you have a 15 or 17mm axle. You could get the cap from any brand hub using the same axle dimensions. Might need to shorten it or use it with a non-optimal seal.
Not sure about this. The endcaps on Cognition hubs are pretty unique "push over" style caps.

cunn1n9

by cunn1n9

stringbean wrote:The end cap for TA comes with the wheels you order according to the body you specified.You specified shimano body so they sent you shimano end cap.
If you specified sram xd body when you ordered the wheels they would of sent you the xd end cap that fits the 10 sp cog.
School fees.
As far as I know this is the case with every wheel manufacturer
You are right except when I now buy the XD hub they supply me with the end cap for XD but it a QR not TA. This makes no sense as who makes a QR disc frame these days???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

grover

by grover

That is pretty poor. Surely someone has stuffed up there. Either the XD body should have come with the TA end cap as well or the bike shop ordered the QR version instead of the TA version. I also think they're quoting you for something more than just the XD TA end cap if it's $90!

If you just want to get it going try the following.

Is the length of the QR end caps for HG and XD body the same?
But the diameter of the XD end cap where it sits against the bearing is smaller.

If so, just file down the through TA HG end cap at the end that sits against the bearing to match the diamter of the QR XD end cap.

I've done this a few times when I haven't had the XD specific end cap. It remains useable for the HG end cap, just with a slightly smaller diamter that MAY allow some contaminants to SLIGHTLY more easily access the bearing. I've never had an issue with bearing failure though.