Litespeed

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

clutchup

by clutchup

I am on the quest to find a new bike and asking for opinions. I recently posted about Alchemy however when researching I found another frame that caught my eye, the Litespeed Ultimate Road.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with Litespeed. Looking for the differences between the T1sl and the ultimate. I really like the look of the ultimate and its partially painted frame.

What say you or should I look elsewhere. So many options are making it hard to pull the trigger.

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KarlC

by KarlC

C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

RussellS

by RussellS

Litespeed makes fine bikes. I own a 2006 Tuscany. Can't comment on the frames you mention. Litespeed has some high tech stuff in their frames. Curved seatstays, 6/4 titanium. They make good fine frames. They are not the super high end name brand like some of the smaller titanium makers running around now. But a long time ago they did provide frames for a pro cycling team. Their frames were raced in the Tour de France. I don't know if their frames are much different than any of the other titanium frames made today. Probably not. Titanium is a good material to make bike frames. Litespeed makes good frames.

CLEAR

by CLEAR

Thats good price for full bike.

As for T1 and Ultimate, ive checked the full geometry between both and they look identical. But determining factor just down to material, T1SL lighter partial 6/4 circa 1100gr and ultimate 3/2.5 circa 1300gr for Medium frames. Also look for T2 and T3 at discounted direct price

Personally I would go with unpainted Ti, so easy to clean and kept immaculate, no problem with scratches in years to come as it is easy to just scrub off with scotch pads and remain like original finish. Ive got my ti frames for several years and will remain looking new with almost daily use for so many more years. Only once i had partially painted '11 Archon which then stripped to bare ti after first year painted part started flacking and easily noticable paint chips and scratches

clutchup

by clutchup

Karl...that is a good looking bike at a decent price however I'm looking for disc brakes and DI2.

CLEAR...you seem to have some knowledge on Ti. Care to explain the difference between 6/3 circa and 3/2.5. I also see a lot of posts about avoiding painted Ti frames. Is it because those like the natural look or does it have something to do with the surface of Ti and paint causing it to peel, etc.?

KarlC

by KarlC

CLEAR wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:46 am
Thats good price for full bike.

As for T1 and Ultimate, ive checked the full geometry between both and they look identical. But determining factor just down to material, T1SL lighter partial 6/4 circa 1100gr and ultimate 3/2.5 circa 1300gr for Medium frames. Also look for T2 and T3 at discounted direct price

Personally I would go with unpainted Ti, so easy to clean and kept immaculate, no problem with scratches in years to come as it is easy to just scrub off with scotch pads and remain like original finish. Ive got my ti frames for several years and will remain looking new with almost daily use for so many more years. Only once i had partially painted '11 Archon which then stripped to bare ti after first year painted part started flacking and easily noticable paint chips and scratches
Try this then ......

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Litespeed-T1-T ... ctupt=true

C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

NickJHP

by NickJHP

I'd have a look at Lynskey as well. The Lynskey family founded Litespeed in 1986 and sold the company in 1999. They started started making Ti frames again under their own name as Lynskey Performance in 2006. They make quite a number of different model disc Ti frames - you can find a lot of them at pretty good prices from Chain Reaction: https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/ ... &cat=brand.

I have one Litespeed and two Lynskeys - they're all excellent frames.

jlok

by jlok

Anyone actually appreciate the manufacturing of the T1sl? Look at the top tube.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Ti bike, i would go for Tred :-D

http://tredbikes.com
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

none

by none

I don't have experience with mordern Litespeed, but I've been riding a 2001 Litespeed Ultimate since 2004 until now, still my go-to road bike after about 30k miles ridden.
Rear wheel cut-out for downtube, curved seatstays, just about every single tube on the Ultimate is shaped and tappered in someway, that's something you don't get to see on most, if not all modern ti frames.

Last year I bought a Lynskey disc road frame from eBay for under $500, built up with mix components that I have laying around in the basement for a complete bike costing less than $1000.