Bottle location and aero

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Jugi

by Jugi

RocketRacing wrote:I heard that they dont stay in if you let them collapse, and they rattle when empty.
I had this happen three times last season and not once during the season before that, although I did ride the TT bike a bit more during 2017. I don't think it's a big issue and really quite easy to prevent, but annoying if it happens. The bottle may still have a positive "click" when it's inserted into the holder collapsed, so it can be a bit hard to estimate when it might happen.

I haven't found it to be any more rattly than a standard bottle in a weight weenie cage, which doesn't have proper grip or pressure keeping the bottle still.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

RocketRacing wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:10 pm
I heard that they dont stay in if you let them collapse, and they rattle when empty.
A bit more rattle - yes. A very, very mild annoyance at most. I frankly don't care because I know it's the bottle and not the bike (with the latter, it'd drive me up the wall until I find it and kill it). That said, I think I might take a step and fix it with some deliberately placed neoprene in the cages.

Never had an issue with collapse or the bottles staying in place, and the roads hereabouts (London and surrounding areas) are far from smooth.

Total weight with standard plastic cages is lighter or the same as most other bottle-cage combos. E.g., camelback podium is 90g for 610ml, plus at least 10g for a cage vs Elite Chrono CX total weight of around 100g. There is also a more expensive CF cage version which saves 8-10g. And aero benefits are pretty obvious just eyeballing the bottle shape and that it's now narrower than my downtube.

Basically, my view is that so long as you can get away riding with 1L of fluids, this is a no-brainer, cheap as hell aero upgrade. Frankly, these are so inexpensive, that it's almost a sin not to try them, even if you end up only using these part-time, given all the other stuff we are discussing on this forum and the $/watt or $/gram saved ratios. If/when you need more capacity, then it's back to standard bottles, a more expensive and ugly Xlabs bottle, or a behind-the-seat option.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

I use only one of the aero bottle with another round bottle most of the time.
The round bottle cage is there so that i have a place to store round bottle if i grab one from pit stop.

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

Agreed on the aero/doller. But the weight weenie in me cried a bit gaining 150 or so g for aero wheels. Adding 80+g for aero bottles... first world problems.

Ironically, my wife is on my case for having so many bottles. But i think i will try them

Jere

by Jere

aeroisnteverything wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:42 pm
RocketRacing wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:10 pm
I heard that they dont stay in if you let them collapse, and they rattle when empty.
A bit more rattle - yes. A very, very mild annoyance at most. I frankly don't care because I know it's the bottle and not the bike (with the latter, it'd drive me up the wall until I find it and kill it). That said, I think I might take a step and fix it with some deliberately placed neoprene in the cages.

Never had an issue with collapse or the bottles staying in place, and the roads hereabouts (London and surrounding areas) are far from smooth.

Total weight with standard plastic cages is lighter or the same as most other bottle-cage combos. E.g., camelback podium is 90g for 610ml, plus at least 10g for a cage vs Elite Chrono CX total weight of around 100g. There is also a more expensive CF cage version which saves 8-10g. And aero benefits are pretty obvious just eyeballing the bottle shape and that it's now narrower than my downtube.

Basically, my view is that so long as you can get away riding with 1L of fluids, this is a no-brainer, cheap as hell aero upgrade. Frankly, these are so inexpensive, that it's almost a sin not to try them, even if you end up only using these part-time, given all the other stuff we are discussing on this forum and the $/watt or $/gram saved ratios. If/when you need more capacity, then it's back to standard bottles, a more expensive and ugly Xlabs bottle, or a behind-the-seat option.

Hi
I have a few thousand miles on the Elites.
I have dropped one , Arthritis in my hands thank goodness in wasn’t in a race.
To stop rattles place neoprene on the bottle at the second notch , It will hold against the the top mounting bolt.
Also after empty blow into the bottle it has a valve in it and it will stay inflated.
Sorry my I pad will not let me post pics
JB

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

RocketRacing wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:45 pm
Agreed on the aero/doller. But the weight weenie in me cried a bit gaining 150 or so g for aero wheels. Adding 80+g for aero bottles... first world problems.

Umm.. do your current bottles weight 20g? I don’t see how you gain 80g otherwise.

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

aeroisnteverything wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:12 pm
RocketRacing wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:45 pm

Umm.. do your current bottles weight 20g? I don’t see how you gain 80g otherwise.
Elite fly 52g and 8g holder x2 =120g
Elite crono and mount x2 = 200g
80g difference.

robeambro

by robeambro

Has anybody tried the Elite Crono CX bottles on a not-fully-aero bike? Getting an SL6 soon, and I am conflicted. The aeroweenie in me knows that this is such an inexpensive aero upgrade.. But not sure how it would looks. Saving 1-2 watts may not be worth it if not racing..

Hellgate

by Hellgate

TonyM wrote:Here the answer (wind tunnel experiment):

https://youtu.be/3eRtGIs7MeE
Too bad they didn't measure the cumulative watts for actually drinking from each location. While carrying the bottle in a pocket is best, how many a consumed went both hands are needed to put it back in the pocket? I suspect the net-net is about the same regardless of position. And for CX, just take a hand up.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

I suspect it's more than 1-2 watts, and I'm pretty sure it saves you more watts than splurging on a ceramicspeed rear derailleur cage. Use the frame to hide the bottle profile if you want to pursue aero gains.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

TonyM

by TonyM

Looking at these bottles I get interested but:
- only 500ml unfortunately
- I have to check if I can get 2 of those on my small frame

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

D6D8F4F0-54FB-462C-B402-E237D866B7FD.jpeg
Here is my very unaero felt f series. What i can say is that there is no bottle to be seen looking at the front profile, which has to be a good thing.

1L total is ideal for the shorter hard rides I tend to do. I will have a better evaluation of how they function this spring. Initial impressions are that the bottle holders don’t like to let go.
Last edited by RocketRacing on Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TonyM

by TonyM

Well I just grabbed 2 bottles and there would not be enough space to get these aero bottles in my aero frame I think as mine are already almost touching each other...

These aero bottles are 10cmx5cm instead of 7.5cm.

Last edited by TonyM on Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.

andreas

by andreas

Man, don't ruin a Pinarello with such fugly bottles....

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

andreas wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:33 pm
Man, don't ruin a Pinarello with such fugly bottles....
Hahaha.

My wife gives me a hard time for getting new water bottles, but for the 5$ or so they cost (aero are more) i figure i want them matching... each other and the bike. And when in doubt, black goes with everything.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com