Firefly, Bastion, or a new Venge.....

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
mile2424

by mile2424

Some of you may know some of the bikes I have done in the past, but I have a lot of fun designing and creating a custom look to my bikes. Of course aestehics is very important as well and I have always gravitated towards the clean aero bikes since they generally had more cables hidden etc for a clean look. Thinking about starting a new project and considering the followings brands I mentioned above. I just ride for fun and some good old exercise, I am not racing or anything like that.

With that being said, I have always been a Specialized fan, generally most the bikes I have had in the past. So of course I like the new Venge and would be my first venture into disc brakes.

I have always like the idea of a more bespoke or boutique build with a company like Firefly. Not becuase I need special measurements, but because of the true hand crafted piece of art. And there are some really cool things we could do with anodizing, polishing, paint etc. Downside here is the long wait to get one.

Similar idea with Bastion, super cool and bespoke kinda build, would be fun to customize. Never seen one in person here in the states, but have to talked to the guys and they seem really nice and great customer service.

Thoughts?

tandemracer

by tandemracer

Can’t go wrong with Firefly. Every single bike they produce is a work of art.

by Weenie

euan

by euan

Few people are building bikes with the attention to every detail than Firefly. Truely the top of the pile.

Had a Bastion in my hands earlier actually. Really nicely put together, paint was fantastic as well.

morganb

by morganb

Slightly left field suggestion, but what about an English? You could still end up with something super integrated and potentially aero but custom and metal.

taodemon

by taodemon

If you weren't selling your venge I would think the firefly would be an easy choice as they can do some really awesome stuff with the colored anodizing. For me, I know I would miss the aero bike. I went from a 1st gen non sworks venge, to an sworks sl5 tarmac and found myself missing the original venge and have since settled on an sworks sl6 tarmac which combines the best of both. I would love a firefly as a second or 3rd bike but not sure I would want it as my only bike based on my riding. I also ride mainly for exercise and fun, but I do ride with guys that do race so having a bike that performs well helps in keeping up with them.

Berzin1

by Berzin1

A custom frame give you the option of custom geometry, many options with parts and paint, and the satisfaction that no one will have the same bike as you.

No pressure to upgrade. No need to hear it from the local pack jelly how their new frame is 13% stiffer than yours. You just had the bad luck of buying obsolete technology a year before it became obsolete.

You can also avoid the experience of having everyone at the cafe stop walking around wondering where their bike is, because everyone is riding one of the same three/four frames that everyone else is riding. If you go custom, that will never be you, because your frame will ALWAYS stand out freom the crowd.

martinkartin

by martinkartin

I’ve been seeing more Bastions at my local rides and they look beautiful. Each one slightly different in finishing and totally custom geometry. Wait times are said to be quite long but it’s truly worth the wait with the quality of the final product. I have yet to try one out but hopefully a nice chat with the owner and he’s let me try it out.
Factor O2 Disc Romain Bardet Limited Edition

mattyNor

by mattyNor

I've built soon to be 7 Bastions now and every person that has gotten on them has said there is no better bike. If it's within budget I see no reason to go for a venge over a Bastion or Firefly.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

mile2424

by mile2424

Where are you guys located where you are seeing these Bastion's?

markdjr

by markdjr

I really like the looks of the Bastion, also 2nd English as a fantastic option.

mattyNor

by mattyNor

mile2424 wrote:Where are you guys located where you are seeing these Bastion's?
I sent you a pm

Seedster

by Seedster

mattyNor wrote:I've built soon to be 7 Bastions now and every person that has gotten on them has said there is no better bike. If it's within budget I see no reason to go for a venge over a Bastion or Firefly.

Agreed. I have not seen a Bastion in person, but I would take any small custom shop such as firefly, bastion or Sarto over Specialized without a second thought. Have fun and be unique

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

mile2424

by mile2424

Brining this back to the front as I am now really trying to decide between these bikes once again. Might even through Baum into the list but leaning towards Bastion or Firefly. But love the looks of the new venge as well. Such a hard decision. My main worry is that I am also used to larger tube shapes from carbon bikes and worried that the Firefly tube shapes may appear too small compared to what I am used to just from a design and aesthetics point of view.