Titanium road frames with internal routing

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
petert123

by petert123

Mockenrue wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:07 pm
Kinesis GTD or GF Ti Disc?
neither route the rear break hose fully, exits before the bottom bracket as far as I can see - again the pictures don't show this clearly.

Jugi

by Jugi

MyM3Coupe wrote:To the OP if your going with mechanical shifting forget internal routing as it typically degrades shift performance.
I wouldn't say that is categorically true. If the cable routing is the same, meaning the cable is guided along the same route but "integrated" is inside a frame tube and "non-integrated" is outside, that will mean something like a 20-30mm difference in the actual cable route in relation to frame. In that case the integration won't affect the radius of housing bends etc., so performance should be closely comparable.

The devil is in the details. There aren't many options in designing non-integrated cable routing. However integrated cable routing may be accomplished in a number of ways.

by Weenie

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

This is how Litespeed does it.

petert123

by petert123

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:27 pm
The most tidy version of this I've seen so far!

Looks like Passoni Top Force does full internal routing, but it's a press-fit BB and that price! Get what you pay for I guess. Been in contact with No. 22 to confirm they also do full, but the import costs start to bump it up against pricier Passoni. I'd forgetten about T-Red, looking now at their options.

Prawn

by Prawn

In addition to Stelbel Ti9 and Passoni mentioned above, Wittson makes the Suppresio road frame with internal routing (and a BSA bottom bracket as an option). I’ve seen all three and marvelled at their craftsmanship.

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

petert123 wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:57 pm
pdlpsher1 wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:27 pm
The most tidy version of this I've seen so far!

Looks like Passoni Top Force does full internal routing, but it's a press-fit BB and that price! Get what you pay for I guess. Been in contact with No. 22 to confirm they also do full, but the import costs start to bump it up against pricier Passoni. I'd forgetten about T-Red, looking now at their options.
You can see one iteration of the T-Red fully internal hose routing here, about halfway down the page: https://bikerumor.com/2016/03/07/nahbs- ... -crankset/

I really dig some of the stuff they do with the designed in compliance in the seatstays and seat tube. It's one of the few bikes I seen achieve a flex level comparable to Trek Isospeed, but without any pivots or shock hardware. In addition, depending on your point of view, it could be better (or worse) as the compliance can occur both at the seat and the rear axle itself.

Having said all that, I don't think I'd go for that iteration of the internal routing pictured above. Hopefully they have a new version that is easier to get a hose through. They do seem like a pretty open minded company, willing to get a little wild with the innovation.

teleguy57

by teleguy57

Late to the discussion, but check out Erik Rolf https://alliancebicycles.com/. He does a fully internal routing (downtube, through BB, through NDS chainstay) on ti bikes with a T47 BB.