Titanium road frames with internal routing

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

petert123

by petert123

Finding some frame builders offering internal routing for (hydro) disc brakes, but others excluding this. I would like have all internal routing, for a 4 season bike build, any tips for brands I might not have found yet? Current favourite no. 22.

none

by none

Seems to me it's easy enough to drill holes for internal routing, but the hard part is getting the cables through.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

de lars cuevas

by de lars cuevas

This is my custom Pilot mountainbike with internal cabing, using full lenght internal liner tubes:

Since it's set up singlespeed, I only use the liners for the hydraulic brake hose. Full story(s) here: https://www.velozine.nl/2018/11/26/proj ... ed-deel-3/

Pilot cycles https://www.pilotcycles.com/nl/196/pilo ... s/modellen is a Dutch titanium brand. Design in the Netherlands, production in the far east. They offer standard and custom frames. Standard roadbike frames come with these liners for 2000€ . Their custom work is not "Crisp-depth" custom, but very affordable: custom geo will just cost you 250€ extra.

petert123

by petert123

Great, thanks for the link. Looking for a road frame, to use all year, where it can be setup with (cheaper) wheels and fenders in the UK winter and carbon wheels and no fenders in the summer; would like a race geometry, internal routing, suttle bosses for fender mounting and enough room for 28's and 25's and fenders probably?

Lugan

by Lugan

Mosaic will build your frame with any specific cable arrangement you want. Mine is set up for eTap, which of course means no shiter cable/wire routing at all, but internal hydro brake hose routing. Their routing is super clean - can't be cleaner. Highly recommended.

petert123

by petert123

Lugan wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:37 pm
Mosaic will build your frame with any specific cable arrangement you want. Mine is set up for eTap, which of course means no shiter cable/wire routing at all, but internal hydro brake hose routing. Their routing is super clean - can't be cleaner. Highly recommended.
Thanks, I've had Mosaic on my radar for a while, but they are costly coming from the US, I'm in the UK. But as you say they will probably build just what I'm after.

I would do the same if I went for eTap, only holes for the brake hoses, super clean I bet it is.

euan

by euan

Shoot Albannach a message, they are UK based custom titanium with Far East production

pamountainbiker

by pamountainbiker

Lugan wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:37 pm
Is this new news? I have two Mosaic RT-1's and am working on desigining a third, this time with disc brakes. They - Mosaic - will not fully route the disc hose internally, unless something has changed and they are willing to do this now. They will only route it internally in the downtube at which point it exits a few inches above the BB and then goes externally to the brake. Firefly is the same, so is Baum (Aus located). Here are the reasons. Firefly, Mosaic and I assume Baum are pretty adamant that the disc hose run enclosed in a small diameter ti tube within the host tube because the disc hose needs support. There's no way to feasibly do this in a tube to tube welded bike. Additionally in Mosaic's case unless Aaron has changed his mind, won't do T47 BB. Only traditional BSA which doesn't give enough room or BB30, which in theory could, except...it would require a slot cut through the BB sleeve to accommodate the bend of the hose either within the shell internally or externally like Baum who uses T47.

The only American, at least, custom ti manufacturers I am aware of that will do full internal routing are Bingham (Eriksen) and 22. In both cases they don't adhere to the whole "support the hose the whole way in a tube" theory. Additionally, even in a T47 shell, routing a disc hose, and potentially Di2 wires makes for a very tight fit indeed. But it can be done. It's not optimal, but it can be done. This is what Bingham told me. Possible, but very tight.

I like 22 Bikes, I like internal routing, but ultimately, I think Aaron / Mosaic, Tyler / Firefly and Baum have it right. For ti frames it's most likely best to route internally via downtube to right before the BB at which point the hose can run externally.

Hoven

by Hoven

Stelbel Ti9

logy

by logy

J Laverack. Almost total internal. Just got a custom R Jack. Best bike I’ve ever ridden.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seedster

by Seedster

I would call Bertoletti at Legend. I’m pretty sure they have full internal routing on the Il Re disc. He is not cheap, but permits a lot of customization options

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

petert123

by petert123

pamountainbiker wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:20 pm
Is this new news? I have two Mosaic RT-1's and am working on desigining a third, this time with disc brakes. They - Mosaic - will not fully route the disc hose internally, unless something has changed and they are willing to do this now. They will only route it internally in the downtube at which point it exits a few inches above the BB and then goes externally to the brake. Firefly is the same, so is Baum (Aus located). Here are the reasons. Firefly, Mosaic and I assume Baum are pretty adamant that the disc hose run enclosed in a small diameter ti tube within the host tube because the disc hose needs support. There's no way to feasibly do this in a tube to tube welded bike. Additionally in Mosaic's case unless Aaron has changed his mind, won't do T47 BB. Only traditional BSA which doesn't give enough room or BB30, which in theory could, except...it would require a slot cut through the BB sleeve to accommodate the bend of the hose either within the shell internally or externally like Baum who uses T47.

The only American, at least, custom ti manufacturers I am aware of that will do full internal routing are Bingham (Eriksen) and 22. In both cases they don't adhere to the whole "support the hose the whole way in a tube" theory. Additionally, even in a T47 shell, routing a disc hose, and potentially Di2 wires makes for a very tight fit indeed. But it can be done. It's not optimal, but it can be done. This is what Bingham told me. Possible, but very tight.

I like 22 Bikes, I like internal routing, but ultimately, I think Aaron / Mosaic, Tyler / Firefly and Baum have it right. For ti frames it's most likely best to route internally via downtube to right before the BB at which point the hose can run externally.
Thanks for this information, makes sense that there are not many fully-internal-routed frames out there? Feels like because it's more difficult builders are keeping away from it, despite T47. Frustrating that many sites don't show pictures that highlight their routing method is external all or part ways - those that do show the hose exiting just before the bottom bracket look terrible. Can only imagine what a mess that is riding in UK winters.

Kind of wonder why it's not an issue for carbon frames, noting that most of these have a press-fit bottom-bracket, so there is space for hoses - doesn't feel like they also support the hose the whole way?

Lugan

by Lugan

pamountainbiker wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:20 pm
Is this new news? I have two Mosaic RT-1's and am working on desigining a third, this time with disc brakes. They - Mosaic - will not fully route the disc hose internally, unless something has changed and they are willing to do this now. They will only route it internally in the downtube at which point it exits a few inches above the BB and then goes externally to the brake.
Sorry, my original post was imprecise: The rear brake hose is as you describe: Internal for most of the downtube, then external all the way back to the caliper.
Last edited by Lugan on Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MyM3Coupe

by MyM3Coupe

none wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:50 pm
Seems to me it's easy enough to drill holes for internal routing . . .
Yes, stress concentrations are great for safety (kidding). To the OP if your going with mechanical shifting forget internal routing as it typically degrades shift performance.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mockenrue

by Mockenrue

Kinesis GTD or GF Ti Disc?