Time Xpro 12 vs Shimano Dura Ace pedals

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

double post

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alanyu

by alanyu

Valbrona wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:55 am
The reason why Time pedals have always been the best is because they offer easy stance width adjustment between a hi and lo setting.

I am not aware of any other pedals offering in-built stance width adjustment.
Do you mean pedal-cleat Q factor adjustment?
If so SPD SL has 5mm free adjusment and keo has 4mm free, while iclic only has 2.5mm fixed adjuatment by switch left/right

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

alanyu wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:30 pm
Valbrona wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:55 am
The reason why Time pedals have always been the best is because they offer easy stance width adjustment between a hi and lo setting.

I am not aware of any other pedals offering in-built stance width adjustment.
Do you mean pedal-cleat Q factor adjustment?
If so SPD SL has 5mm free adjusment and keo has 4mm free, while iclic only has 2.5mm fixed adjuatment by switch left/right
And Shimano also makes their DA and Ultegra pedals with two different axle lengths - a std axle with a Q of 52mm and the +4mm axle which pushes the Q out to 56mm.

TwiggyTN

by TwiggyTN

I run both systems on different bikes currently. Long history with Time pedals on Campagnolo groups, like back in the Equipe Mag days. However, the Dura-Ace pedals just give a more stable powerful connection, especially with Bont shoes but also with Sidi, just not as pronounced. I would go with Dura-Ace pedals on all my bikes if I had it to do over. Don't think the Times are bad enough to pull them off and replace them now though, still good pedals, just not as good as D-A.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

aeroisnteverything wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:16 am
3. Time. I bought and tried a set of Xpro 12. Fully agree with everything Cal said about them.
- Yes, they don't always hang the right way.

: Re: Time Sport may be gone . .
AJS914 wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 1:15 pm
The only thing I don't like about my X-Pro 10s is that there is some stiction in the bearing seals so they don't hang exactly right when not clipped in. My 10s are pretty new so I'm hoping they will loosen up. Or, maybe I could replace the bearings some day. If one goes for the 15s they could with ceramicspeed bearings - probably not worth it but I'm guessing they will spin freely.
Is there a difference between Xpro 15 (ceramic bearings) and Xpro 12 (steel bearings) in the propensity for the pedal to hang upside down after unclipping and rotating the crank? Xpro 12 often seems to hang upside down, and not be ready for immediate clip-in, whereas RXS Carbon-Ti/Ulteam always stayed upright. I have not tried Xpro 15. Removing the aero cover on the underside of Xpro 12 does not seem to make things better.

boots2000

by boots2000

So to re-visit this. For those of you who moved from SPD SL to Time XPro- Did you alter saddle height or leave it the same? .2mm difference is not much if accurate.

alanyu

by alanyu

HammerTime2 wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:47 pm
Is there a difference between Xpro 15 (ceramic bearings) and Xpro 12 (steel bearings) in the propensity for the pedal to hang upside down after unclipping and rotating the crank? Xpro 12 often seems to hang upside down, and not be ready for immediate clip-in, whereas RXS Carbon-Ti/Ulteam always stayed upright. I have not tried Xpro 15. Removing the aero cover on the underside of Xpro 12 does not seem to make things better.
Yes Xpro 15 can hang down correctly in 95% time. There is a very narrow angle window where it can stay wrong, which however is still not as good as Dura Ace.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

My left Xpro15 bearing has already started to seize after minimal outdoor use (<1000km). Not great for £400...
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Dear Sram.
Please use Blackbox ceramic bearings from your drivetrain department in the updated Xpro pedals.
Maybe integrate some axle/hub expertise from your Zipp wheel department into a more clever bearing design too.
But please, do not use problematic bushing (that develop play easily) from Rockshox department.
It'd be good if you can also talk to Quarq department to add power meter to the pedal as well.

RDY

by RDY

New Portuguese factory making the pedals was supposed to be up and running months ago. But AFAIK no PT/SRAM-made Time pedals have made it to suppliers yet?

1llum4

by 1llum4

We are receiving our first batch of Time Pedals from the new factory here in Canada.

RDY

by RDY

1llum4 wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:47 am
We are receiving our first batch of Time Pedals from the new factory here in Canada.
If you're familiar with the old Xpressos / XPros / ATACs, I'm sure we'd all be interested in what you think and some photos.

1llum4

by 1llum4

I work remotely and only have a pair of Speciale 8 on backorder for myself so won't be able to see if there is any physical difference or photos.

Juanmoretime
Administrator

by Juanmoretime

I rode a set of Time Xpresso X12 pedals for 5 years befofe I wore them out. In that 7 years I went thru 2 sets of bearings, 1 pedal body and a fair number of broken cleats. Went to Look carbon/ti Keo's and hated them. I would always have to flip them in order to get into the pedal. I switched to Shimano 9100 pedals 3 or 4 years ago and have been very satisfied since I made the change. I ride in several sets of shoes and change cleats about once a year on all shoes. I have the same pedal on both my road bikes and three years or more later they are still buttery smooth and pedal entry is thoughtless.Not a fan of Shimano yet they do make a great pedal.
Last edited by Juanmoretime on Thu Oct 05, 2023 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mortirolo

by mortirolo

My first Time pedal was a Time Impact Magnesium and I use an xpresso now. My knee is still perfect...
Marco Pantani - Momenti Di Gloria
AX Vial (SR11) <- FELT FC (Record 10) <- LOOK KX (Dura-Ace) <- Specialized EPIC (Superbe Pro)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com