Colnago SR9 Stem

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ymisyd

by ymisyd

Hello guys,

Has anybody had any experience installing the new Colnago SR9 stem?

I'm putting together a 2019 C64 disc with the integrated cabling but the stem just doesn't seem right to me. The hydraulic hoses have to be bent 90 degrees and squashed in with the Di2 cabling. It looks like a recipe for disaster somewhere down the line as one of the screws that secures the lower part of the stem is sure to run on the cabling.

The lower stem cover is extremely difficult to affix to the underside of the stem with the cabling and hoses opposing it and it just seems wrong to me.

Thanks for any help.Image

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Seedster

by Seedster

Wish I could provide assistance but my mechanic ran my campy EPS hydro the same way you have your and shifting does not appear to be adversely impacted despite the sharp angles.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

From the picture at least I’d agree... it does look like a recipe for disaster or at the very least a lot of foul language. I haven’t seen or built one yet, and quite frankly, I don’t want to. But i am very curious has to how it all goes. More pics along the way would be awesome.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

ymisyd

by ymisyd

Cal,

You're right about the foul language - obviously a man of experience! Thinking about it, you'll actually be bending the hydraulic lines at more than 90 degrees, taking into account the fork rake (72 degrees) and the stem angle (-6 degrees). I estimate around a 114 degree sharp bend in the lines. Is that within spec? Will the lines split? Will there be a recall in the near future?

I'll have another go later this morning and post some pictures - it didn't look pretty at first attempt!

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I would think there were cabling instructions that come with it?
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

cerro

by cerro

Seedster wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:39 am
Wish I could provide assistance but my mechanic ran my campy EPS hydro the same way you have your and shifting does not appear to be adversely impacted despite the sharp angles.
EPS or Di2 should work easily no matter bends with those thin soft cables. I think the brakehosing is the thing that can be bad and ruining the hose.

I think the thing is to do it correct the first time so the brake hosingbends is made once and not over and over again.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yes, that is certainly an undeniable plus to electric shifting, that it doesn’t matter what bends and turns happen as long as those electrons keep moving. But here... it’s the hydraulic lines that are the issue. I really wouldn’t want to see a close to 90 degree bend anywhere, be it a mechanical brake or a hydraulic line.

ymisyd

by ymisyd

It wasn't the bends of the Di2 cabling I was concerned about, just the hydraulic lines. The concern with the electronic cables was the screw nearest the steerer rubbing on them.

Instructions were provided with the frameset, but of course they make it look so easy! It really is a tight (too tight) squeeze to fit the hoses and cables in the channels of the lower stem part and I'm not happy with that.

However, after a quick check with the UK distributer that I wasn't going to damage the hoses with such a sharp bend, I persevered and managed to get the stem together. I must say, it doesn't fill me with confidence, but only time will tell.
ImageImage

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Those screws won't rub into the cables over time as the cables will probably not move at all within the stem. Also those screws probably don't even need to be installed as that part looks nonstructural to the stem and should rotate with the stem due to the headset preload and the little tab near the stem steerer clamp anyway.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ymisyd

by ymisyd

NiFTY wrote:Those screws won't rub into the cables over time as the cables will probably not move at all within the stem. Also those screws probably don't even need to be installed as that part looks nonstructural to the stem and should rotate with the stem due to the headset preload and the little tab near the stem steerer clamp anyway.
NiFTY, the screws most definitely do need to be installed. If they weren't, the plastic piece that screws to the bottom of the stem would be loose and hanging down. It definitely wouldn't turn with the stem.

As for the screws rubbing the cables, the one nearest the steerer is definitely touching the hoses. They are pinching either side of the screw whilst the second screw nearer to the handlebars is housed in a plastic "tube" that keeps it away from the cabling.

Seedster

by Seedster

cerro wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:42 pm
Seedster wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:39 am
EPS or Di2 should work easily no matter bends with those thin soft cables. I think the brakehosing is the thing that can be bad and ruining the hose.

I think the thing is to do it correct the first time so the brake hosingbends is made once and not over and over again.
My apologies, I was referring to the braking. Fully aware that tight bends shouldnt impact electronic shifting. My hydraulic brake cables have not been impacted by the bend and I have seen similarly drastic bends on other internally routed framesets. I dont think you will see premature wear and tear or decrease in performance.

maxice

by maxice

Whats the difference between the SR9 and the R41 stem? Just been informed my C64 is almost ready, I've ordered the R41 stem but have read somewhere that there were issues with the internal routing on them?

Mockenrue

by Mockenrue

The R41 is one piece full carbon with an internal expander clamp. The SR9 is alloy with internal routing and a conventional face plate type clamp. My understanding is that with the R41 not having originally been designed with internal routing in mind, they had trouble adapting it for that purpose so the SR9 was introduced as an alternative.

ymisyd

by ymisyd

maxice wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:11 pm
Whats the difference between the SR9 and the R41 stem? Just been informed my C64 is almost ready, I've ordered the R41 stem but have read somewhere that there were issues with the internal routing on them?
I ordered and thought I was getting the R41, but even the dealer was surprised that the SR9 came instead. The R41 isn't compatible with internal routing.

maxice

by maxice

Mockenrue wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:38 pm
The R41 is one piece full carbon with an internal expander clamp. The SR9 is alloy with internal routing and a conventional face plate type clamp. My understanding is that with the R41 not having originally been designed with internal routing in mind, they had trouble adapting it for that purpose so the SR9 was introduced as an alternative.
Thanks, better check with them they have the correct one then if the R41 wont work

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com