Potenza rear derailleur adjustment help

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

flying

by flying

robertbb wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:51 pm
Stupid question, but, you are running Potenza shifters too, right?

Chorus/Record/SR shifters *won't* work well with a Potenza RD. I tried it and it simply won't, something to do with the strength of a return spring I think.
Yes all Potenza :D

I put it on that Fuji Roubaix Elite Frame we talked about
Great frame & stiffer than older model...not the the old model wasn't stiff enough :D
But great frame really like it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

flying

by flying

bm0p700f wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:21 am
Actually I can spot bent hangers by eye. They just look wrong, small deviations need the tool to spot definitively.

My daughter dropped her bike on the mech ( orange zest) and the hanger bent. Look away Erika and bingo I had it fixed and shifting properly in a jiffy. No alignment tool. Its 1*11 too. She's 7 and loves her bike.

It might be cable friction that normally shows as hesitant shifting when going down the cassette. If it's friction you can get it shift going up normally but double shifting going down.

Hanger alignment normally shows up if it a slight bend as reasonable shift at the start but as you get to the middle of the cassette it gets nosey and double shifts or fails to shift depending on the direction of the bend.

Don't forget the "b tension" adjustment. That moves the top jockey wheel and needs to be fine tuned to get it to shift properly if fitting an 11-32t from say a 12-27t that screw will need a fettle.
Yeah I think I can also tell usually by looking & to tell the truth I have never had a new frame with a bent hanger...not to say it couldn't happen :wink:

Yes I think it is a friction related problem.
At first it drove me crazy wondering because I never had a problem similar...where one end of the cassette wanted slack & the other end wanted tightening of cable

In hindsight thinking about it ...that does suggest friction since your overcoming the derailleur spring on the one end so tightening cable & the other has not much pull just lever spring
Dunno...a definite maybe :lol:

Also: Yes B screw adjusted for pulley clearance

Anyway seems the wiper was the big grab now all is running nice except 5th gear from lowest is a bit noisy & 6th want to jump...will continue to look for problem
Did not stop a great few hours ride today :D
Last edited by flying on Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

flying

by flying

AJS914 wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:38 pm
I'd really like to try some 12 speed "maximum smoothness" cables in my 11 speed housing. I haven't seen anyone selling just replacement cables yet.
Seeing how much friction was a big part of problem for me
I would also be interested in these cables.

When you fixed your problem you used Campy cables & changes outer case too?

I am very close to perfect now & will fiddle a bit more.

PS: If your in USA I see Colorado Cyclist has that Max Smooth cable set but $100 :shock:
https://www.coloradocyclist.com/campagn ... -cable-set

AJS914

by AJS914

flying wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:28 am
Yes, I started with a whole new 11 speed cable set. I made every cut perfectly and enlarged the hole in the teflon liners.

I learned a few tricks from this page:

https://www.bikeradar.com/us/gear/artic ... ers-24781/

I hadn't known about the washers inside the ergo levers where the cables rest. The trick about bending the cable at the end where it will be cut off when installing new cables was new to me. I think I had done it previously like I would have with 10 speed which results in a slight kink near the ergo lever.

I had never had any of these problems with 7, 8, 9, or 10 speed. 11 speed with tighter tolerances just seems to need more finesse and attention to detail during install.

flying

by flying

AJS914 wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:05 am
flying wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:28 am
Yes, I started with a whole new 11 speed cable set. I made every cut perfectly and enlarged the hole in the teflon liners.

I learned a few tricks from this page:

https://www.bikeradar.com/us/gear/artic ... ers-24781/

I hadn't known about the washers inside the ergo levers where the cables rest. The trick about bending the cable at the end where it will be cut off when installing new cables was new to me. I think I had done it previously like I would have with 10 speed which results in a slight kink near the ergo lever.

I had never had any of these problems with 7, 8, 9, or 10 speed. 11 speed with tighter tolerances just seems to need more finesse and attention to detail during install.
Thanks all good to know & I agree seems things have gotten much tighter :wink:

EDIT: So as not to pull topic back up all is fine now.
I did in fact have a slight twist in hanger + fiddled with cable tensions till good.
Sensitive derailleur :D But once dialed sure is nice...quiet & positive shifting