Best Groupset in your opinion

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ducman

by ducman

Cemicar wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:55 am
lewolive wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:08 pm
That's so hard to say; it depends on your needs.

-Exclusive bike: Super Record
-Reliable, smart bike: DA9100
-Lightness: Sram Red / Etap
I think 11sp eTap is already heavier than 9150.
And versus AXS? :idea:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MyM3Coupe

by MyM3Coupe

kgibbo1868 wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:16 am
If you could choose between record or d/a (both mechanical) is there much between them?
Campy for aesthetics and D/A for performance.

morrisond

by morrisond

MyM3Coupe wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:05 pm
kgibbo1868 wrote:
If you could choose between record or d/a (both mechanical) is there much between them?
What performance difference are you refeering too?

Are you saying a bike will be faster with DA on it than Record?

I don't think there is that much to choose between shifting and braking on these two and it's impossible to say one performs better than another.

Right now Record is 12sp and DA is 11sp - wouldn't that be a performance advantage to Record (not that it really matters IMO)?

robertbb

by robertbb

11sp C/R/SR is on par performance wise with Dura Ace 9100.

At the back, ultrashift multiple jumps down the cassette probably gives it an edge, actually.

The front derailleur performance is just as good - provided it's set up properly. Buy the $20 plastic guide to help align and set deraileur height properly minimises the potential for a sub-optimal setup. The art is in getting the cable tension right, but it's not rocket science.

People tend to focus on the Campy aesthetic over and above its performance, but the reality is their high end stuff is designed to be raced hard and it does a sterling job of that - while looking great.

nachetetm

by nachetetm

MyM3Coupe wrote:
kgibbo1868 wrote:
What kind of comment is that? Last time I checked the races, people with Campy don't seem to go any slower than people with Shimano.

robertbb

by robertbb

MyM3Coupe wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:32 am
wheelsONfire wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:15 am
When it comes to mechanical, i would go for the groupset with the best FD shifting.
That would be Dura Ace 9100.
Would it though? Would it really?
I'm not convinced it's in any way better than a properly set up 2015+ Campagnolo 11 FD

XCProMD

by XCProMD

robertbb wrote:11sp C/R/SR is on par performance wise with Dura Ace 9100.

At the back, ultrashift multiple jumps down the cassette probably gives it an edge, actually.

The front derailleur performance is just as good - provided it's set up properly. Buy the $20 plastic guide to help align and set deraileur height properly minimises the potential for a sub-optimal setup. The art is in getting the cable tension right, but it's not rocket science.

People tend to focus on the Campy aesthetic over and above its performance, but the reality is their high end stuff is designed to be raced hard and it does a sterling job of that - while looking great.
This. I wouldn’t care if it looked like an old shoe rescued from a pond, I’ll use it the same based on performance and durability.

MyM3Coupe

by MyM3Coupe

[/quote]Would it though? Would it really?
I'm not convinced it's in any way better than a properly set up 2015+ Campagnolo 11 FD[/quote]
Shimano builds to tighter tolerances and it shows (specifically in D/A). The shifting is more refined in D/A, and for the record (no pun lol) I have 2015 Campy Record on one bike. But they both get the job done.

Bondurant

by Bondurant

I'm interested in the tighter tolerances comment; is that verified knowledge or internet hearsay?

Not trying to have a pop by the way, genuinely curious. I'd never heard that before.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Bondurant wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:36 pm
I'm interested in the tighter tolerances comment; is that verified knowledge or internet hearsay?

Not trying to have a pop by the way, genuinely curious. I'd never heard that before.
Hambini has done some research on this and states that Shimano has the best build quality / tolerances, with Campy 2nd and SRAM in 3rd.

Take what you will from that, but owning both Shimano and SRAM, I can definitely tell the differences by eye alone.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

Mep

by Mep

The kind of deviations that hambini alluded to are measured in micrometers, so for a 6mm part that would be on the order of 0.036mm. If you can tell that by eye, you must be a superhero.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Mep wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:13 pm
The kind of deviations that hambini alluded to are measured in micrometers, so for a 6mm part that would be on the order of 0.036mm. If you can tell that by eye, you must be a superhero.
+1.

What a marvelous comedian :D
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

matvalse

by matvalse

dura ace 9150 without any dubs

Vermu

by Vermu

All the tolerances to side it burns down to usability.
Used to be avid shimano fan. 6600, 7900 and 9070. The usability has been my gripe. Unfortunatly I never had issues with fraying cables. Too small and vague di2 buttons outweight tolerances easily.
After testing Sram red mech, I wouldn’t go back to groupset that users brake lever to any other function.
Never tried Campa so can’t say ya or nay, but tacile feeling of shifts outweights butter smooth gear changes, specially when riding with gloves.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Best groupset campagnolo record 10 speed of course.

For MTB sram eagle is very good and therefore the wireless version would be nice as it would get rid of all my horrid cables.