Best Groupset in your opinion

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

LouisN

by LouisN

Rotor 13S is the best bar none :smartass:

Louis :)

kgt

by kgt

Wise choise RossLB.

IME the best groupsets are mechanical Super Record and mechanical Dura Ace. The best value for money is mechanical Campagnolo Chorus.

Electronic groupsets is another marketing product IMO. In terms of performance they are not superior to a well tuned mechanical groupset. They just look cool and trendy. But according to the posts in our forum the percentage of groupsets malfunctioning must be something like 10 electronic to 1 mechanical.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

I will never run anything but Di2 if I have a choice. Been on it since the 6800 days.
Last edited by Briscoelab on Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ortziomenaka

by ortziomenaka

8050 di2 best relation quality-price

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk
Trek Top Fuel 9.8SL 10.04kg
Trek Emonda SL5 6.940kg

sychen

by sychen

No real best in my opinion.. Depends on what you value.

For me... Currently love my di2 (ruthless effiecency) but hate mechanical shimano due to the shifter set up.

Love Sram etap for clean builds.

But my heart is in campagnolo form and function. Happily run anything chorus and up either mech or electronic.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

hambini

by hambini

Mechanically, Shimano equipment has much better manufacturing tolerances than anybody else. Campag is slightly worse. SRAM is really bad.

Hence I would pick the Shimano any day of the week.
Hambini Aeronautical Engineer, Polluting YouTube since 2016 - views expressed are my own...

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Past couple of years I've owned:

Campag Athena
Ulterga 6800
DA9000
DA9070 Di2
DA9150 Di2
SRAM Force 1x

Hated the Campag but had to give it a go.
Ultegra 6800 was very good especially with the trim function on the front mech.
DA9000 was very silky smooth and loved it.
9070 was a bit clunkier than 9000 but ever so precise and reliability was fantastic.
9150 is the best groupset I've ever used. Just perfect in every way.
Force 1x is a brute and has had a load of abuse. Needs a little upkeep but would recommend.

I would like to try the new Etap 12 speed, so will probably stick that on my next build this spring.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

prebsy

by prebsy

Personally I only think of shifts and rails for a groupset since everything else varies depending on your bike and is generally interchangable

in order of most weight concious to least

Red22
Rival22
R9100
R8050

PokojniToza

by PokojniToza

I am probably biased, but I would go with mech Campagnolo Super Record, followed by mech Dura Ace. the best value for money group would be the Chorus. Out of the options stated by the OP, I would go with the Ultegra.

octave

by octave

hambini wrote:Mechanically, Shimano equipment has much better manufacturing tolerances than anybody else. Campag is slightly worse. SRAM is really bad.

this is interesting. can you give details as to where and how shimano has improved tolerances? i currently ride red22 mechanical, and just got a new bike stock with red22 and was considering stripping it and selling it new take-off and trying a different groupset... but hard to find a reason why as i have been happy with the red22 on my other bike. hence my interest in your take on tolerances.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hambini

by hambini

octave wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:13 pm
hambini wrote:Mechanically, Shimano equipment has much better manufacturing tolerances than anybody else. Campag is slightly worse. SRAM is really bad.

this is interesting. can you give details as to where and how shimano has improved tolerances? i currently ride red22 mechanical, and just got a new bike stock with red22 and was considering stripping it and selling it new take-off and trying a different groupset... but hard to find a reason why as i have been happy with the red22 on my other bike. hence my interest in your take on tolerances.

I make bottom brackets and more recently started to make hubs. As part of this, I measured Shimano, Campag and SRAM to see how much their measurements deviated.

On GXP axles, the 24mm bit can vary by over a millimeter which is, to put it bluntly pi$$ poor manufacturing. The deviation on the gear teeth is not quite as bad but certainly nothing to write home about. Shimano tolerances are very accurate and indicates they understand their manufacturing systems and capability very well. There is very little deviation in Shimano equipment whether it's dura ace or sora.

Campag is no where near as bad as SRAM but not as good as Shimano. Campag stuff has quite a lot of complicated manufacturing processes within it such as machining for hirth joints which is a technically time consuming and therefore costly process.

The problem is the average rider has no way to measure these things so is unaware of them

Hambini
Hambini Aeronautical Engineer, Polluting YouTube since 2016 - views expressed are my own...

nickf

by nickf

Vote for SRAM red mechanical. I have 2 bikes with the last gen 10 speed and one with red22. I have never over the 4 years of use have had any issues. Shifting is always crisp and fast. Always use a kmx sl chain and OG or XG cassettes. While people struggle with Shimano cranks falling apart, forgotten chargers, etap batteries falling off, I just jump on my bike and go.

Broady

by Broady

hambini wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:24 pm
On GXP axles, the 24mm bit can vary by over a millimeter which is, to put it bluntly pi$$ poor manufacturing.
Seriously 1mm? That's crazy.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

hambini wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:24 pm
octave wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:13 pm

I make bottom brackets and more recently started to make hubs. As part of this, I measured Shimano, Campag and SRAM to see how much their measurements deviated.

On GXP axles, the 24mm bit can vary by over a millimeter which is, to put it bluntly pi$$ poor manufacturing. The deviation on the gear teeth is not quite as bad but certainly nothing to write home about. Shimano tolerances are very accurate and indicates they understand their manufacturing systems and capability very well. There is very little deviation in Shimano equipment whether it's dura ace or sora.

Campag is no where near as bad as SRAM but not as good as Shimano. Campag stuff has quite a lot of complicated manufacturing processes within it such as machining for hirth joints which is a technically time consuming and therefore costly process.

The problem is the average rider has no way to measure these things so is unaware of them

Hambini
Thanks for the clarification Hambini. It's always nice to have someone with your background help us mere consumers. I get that an out of spec axle diameter is a big no-no, but as to the rest of the issues you identify, I wonder if they really matter. Yes, no excuse for anything but near perfection in the manufacture of mechanical parts, but the reliability of Sram mechanical shifting has been remarkable. I ride a lot - close to 20,000 per year and run mechanical groupsets from all three manufacturers, and Sram is the only one that has never had an issue - ever.

I prefer the shifting on Shimano above all, and despite the pitiful ergonomics, enjoy riding Campy the most (can't tell you why - maybe 'cause it's different?), but between fraying cables, dodgy indexing, jammed ratchet mechanisms, stuck rear derailleurs (lookin' at you Campy), etc. there are too many issue despite the better tolerances you identify. And yet zero issues with Sram (Red) and I ride it at least twice as much as the others. I have yet to kill a Sram shifter and a few of them are seriously old. To top it off, I live in rolling terrain that requires constant shifting. Maybe it's shit, but that shit just works.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

r3m

by r3m

I had 3 groupsets in past 3 years.
Sram red 22, shimano dura ace 9070 di2 and shimano dura ace 9150 di2.
I sold the sram red when i start to ride in di2. And there is a good gap between the 9070 and the 9150. Integration and really smooth !!!

Definetly 9150 for me with 0 regrets.

(But if i had to buy now, i'll wait the new shimano 12v, he's going release this year !!!)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com