Best Groupset in your opinion

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ichobi

by ichobi

Please not go there.

While Sram etap build and finish cannot match top end campag and shimano, I love it's simplicity and shift sequence. Trouble free and easy to use. I also adapt to the hood shape even though I used to prefer Shimano hood.

But for the overall best package it's hard to beat dura ace both mechanical and di2.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kgibbo1868

by kgibbo1868

If you could choose between record or d/a (both mechanical) is there much between them? I like the looks of record but have not had the opportunity to see if I like the feel and function as much as shimano. I have had sram long enough to know I won’t spend my money on it again.
2019 Baum Ristretto
Pain is my friend!

nachetetm

by nachetetm

kgibbo1868 wrote:If you could choose between record or d/a (both mechanical) is there much between them? I like the looks of record but have not had the opportunity to see if I like the feel and function as much as shimano. I have had sram long enough to know I won’t spend my money on it again.
As you say, the only way to know is trying. I much prefer the Campy feeling, while for other people is the opposite. If trying is not an option don't worry, they are both truly sensational.

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

Any mechanical group set is worry free like dura ace or Sram red. For electronic I would go with di2 over campy. Campy eps can be a pain to adjust when you have to whereas di2 is so simple

XCProMD

by XCProMD

What’s so difficult to adjust in EPS? Have survived to some 70 builds, didn’t know I was so tough..

lewolive

by lewolive

That's so hard to say; it depends on your needs.

-Exclusive bike: Super Record
-Reliable, smart bike: DA9100
-Lightness: Sram Red / Etap

My choice would be to combine the best of Shimano and Sram parts. On bearings: the best grouspet is Campa/Sram/Shimano. It's important. A properly upgraded Shimano groupset with pulley wheels system + ceramic BB is one of the best choice.

spartan

by spartan

it is amazing fat dentists still beleive in oversize pulleys + ceramics lol
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

The zero reset is time consuming if micro adjustments don’t fix the issue. Di2 is just a matter of adjusting with microbadjusters

spartan

by spartan

this superlight aluminum could possible be production version of a covetic material. currently under patent litigation from the inventors.

here is a good youtube video explaining the breakthrough. munro is a consultant famous for his tesla teardowns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28EfB5cYmRY

what is a covetic material. metal + carbon LOL

https://energy.gov/sites/prod/files/201 ... 2015_0.pdf

hambini wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:22 pm
youngs_modulus wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:55 am
Lot's of stuff removed to try not to litter the thread.
It is not my duty to go searching the internet to find out details about materials so I can appease people on weightweenies. The entire basis of your argument is because you find a published paper about material X on the internet that it must not exist. Further, As you claim to work in the Aerospace industry, I would say you were somewhat naive and ignorant.

If I use an example that MattR will relate to. Rolls-Royce/Pratt and Witney make turbine blades in single crystals. They exist in real life but you will not find any papers on the intricacies of how they are made. At best only a general overview and that is only 25 years after they were developed.

If someone is going to make a superalloy, it isn't going to come to the bike industry first. They also aren't going to publish data where someone can copy it until their protection is in place.

Happy Trollling

Hambini
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

XCProMD

by XCProMD

I don’t think it’s the same thing. Doesn’t look as covetic alu is hP or hR crystallographic structure

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

When it comes to mechanical, i would go for the groupset with the best FD shifting.
I have always disliked the FD shifting ...
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

MyM3Coupe

by MyM3Coupe

wheelsONfire wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:15 am
When it comes to mechanical, i would go for the groupset with the best FD shifting.
That would be Dura Ace 9100.

Cemicar

by Cemicar

lewolive wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:08 pm
That's so hard to say; it depends on your needs.

-Exclusive bike: Super Record
-Reliable, smart bike: DA9100
-Lightness: Sram Red / Etap
I think 11sp eTap is already heavier than 9150.

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

XCProMD wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:45 pm
What’s so difficult to adjust in EPS? Have survived to some 70 builds, didn’t know I was so tough..
Who said EPS was hard to setup? My EPS Tarmac build was the easiest thing I ever did.. the hardest part was fishing all the Di2 wires out of the frame!

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

spartan wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:31 pm
it is amazing fat dentists still beleive in oversize pulleys + ceramics lol
I understood that fat dentists only believed in me.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com