Tune DC 100/130 skewers

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

biwa

by biwa

Anyone tried them? Besides the light weight, are they robust/reliable enough? If not, any recommendation for a mid-weight set of QR skewers?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Is it those with the carbon axle?

I already ride 27gr skewers and I'm not sure I'd like a carbon/alloy axle. Seems a bit brittle.

The problem comes earlier though at around 50gr and under. They flex so that when riding your wheelaxles might not always be in the same position. Also if you should crash the wheel might come out.

I like my skewers but I'm also a light guy riding a not so stiff frame. If I were running a stiff frame then I'd be more careful about the skewers. I don't want the weakest link to be the skewer flexing around. It'll probably be safe but it would damage the nice solid and confident feel of the ride a bit.

For riding flats slowly on an exhibition or demo bike, sure flexy is no big deal, but not for bombing down bumpy descents at 70km/h.

You can still save a ton of weight over stock skewers. It's just that going from 50gr to 40/30/20 is sacrificing something.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I changed my external cam skewers and went for Tune AC 100+130.
These are with internal cam which is offering better clamping compared to external cams
Looks nice to :-D
Last edited by wheelsONfire on Sun May 19, 2019 9:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

biwa wrote:Anyone tried them? Besides the light weight, are they robust/reliable enough? If not, any recommendation for a mid-weight set of QR skewers?
I was chatting with a local shop that sells a lot of WW parts and they stopped bringing in the Tune DC model because customers were breaking the carbon shaft. I had a pair in the past and while this didn’t happen to me, I could appreciate their delicate nature.

I like the Zipp Aero Ti set and there’s a brand out there that recently decided to fold and is “clearing” out their remaining QR inventory. IIRC, they had sets weighing 28gr. Www.ridewert.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Focus Izalco Max - 4.84kg without pedals
Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg
Trek Madone SLR Rim - 7.73kg
Standert Triebwerk Disc - 8.47kg

StanK

by StanK

biwa wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:05 am
Anyone tried them? Besides the light weight, are they robust/reliable enough? If not, any recommendation for a mid-weight set of QR skewers?
Few months ago I swap original Mavic skewers with these and didn't notice any difference (Ksyrium Elite S). And saved 90g. :mrgreen:
For me, excellent product so far.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

I've had mine for 2 years, done 15,000km on them, crashed, still work 100%. I've also been 107kg / 235lbs on them without issues.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

biwa

by biwa

alcatraz wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:23 am
Is it those with the carbon axle?

I already ride 27gr skewers and I'm not sure I'd like a carbon/alloy axle. Seems a bit brittle.

The problem comes earlier though at around 50gr and under. They flex so that when riding your wheelaxles might not always be in the same position. Also if you should crash the wheel might come out.

I like my skewers but I'm also a light guy riding a not so stiff frame. If I were running a stiff frame then I'd be more careful about the skewers. I don't want the weakest link to be the skewer flexing around. It'll probably be safe but it would damage the nice solid and confident feel of the ride a bit.

For riding flats slowly on an exhibition or demo bike, sure flexy is no big deal, but not for bombing down bumpy descents at 70km/h.

You can still save a ton of weight over stock skewers. It's just that going from 50gr to 40/30/20 is sacrificing something.
They have titanium axle but with carbon lever. Any recommendation for ~50g skewers?

biwa

by biwa

wheelsONfire wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:28 am
I changed my internal cam skewers to Tune AC 100+130.
These are with external cam which is offering better clamping compared to internal cams
Very light for being external cam skewers.
Also very nice :-D
Is lighter weight the only difference between DC and AC models?

cerro

by cerro

Have a DC rear qr on my Colnago with an U20 front. For rimbraked bikes they work perfectly with enough clamping force and good quality. For discs like I had on my Tarmac SL5 disc it wasn't good enough.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

There is a reason disc bikes started with through axles ;-)
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

StanK

by StanK

Although I was happy with them first few months, I had to replace them. Back wheel started to creaking and I didn't want bother myself with fastening before every ride. And then fine tuning brake pads clearance as well. Front wheel was fine.
Too much trouble and for me not worthing 23g. differences compared to Spada skewers (60g.) that came with my wheels and with whom I replaced them. Creaking disappeared, I hope, for good.