TT Bike with Campagnolo group?

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
MiddMan

by MiddMan

I’m thinking of building up a time trial bike as my second bike instead of an aero frame (although some aero frames are still on the table). I’m mostly seeking feedback from anyone who has experience with any of the following frames, and *especially* if you’ve done so with Campagnolo.

Frames I’m considering:

1. Look Monoblade.

Pros: highly integrated, reasonable price, lifetime warranty, sexy design
Cons: high integration is skewed toward Shimano it seems (wires, brakes, etc)...would it be a pain to run it with Campagnolo? FWIW, I have no problems running Shimano on a dedicated TT bike, I’d just prefer Campy.

2. Cipollini NKTT.

Pros: definitely Campagnolo compatible, classic TT design, 10 year warranty
Cons: expensive, hard to come by/service, probably difficult if does encounter warranty issue

3. Factor Slick.

Pros: traditional TT geometry (in case you can’t tell by now this is a necessity for my tastes), ceramic speed bearings, highly rated company
Cons: please tell me that new ‘fin’ in the back is detachable (it’s a storpack which could come in handy, but if it’s permanently fixed I’ll pass)

Obviously lots of other things to consider such as accommodating wheel width and which tires are compatible... Any other classic looking Time Trial bikes I’m missing?

by Weenie

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Eps Battery mounting is an issue with looks.

Ceramic speed bearings may not be faster a few hundred miles depending on how they were. Id save your money and get ntn bearings with non contacting seals if you want to use drag.

wintershade

by wintershade

I’m a die hard Campy fan. Run Campy on all my bikes. But for TT, I went Di2 and haven’t looked back. SynchroShift is a game changer. It just takes all the thinking out of shifting. Right is up. Left is down. System stakes care of all the rest. I’ve never dropped a chain. I’ve never missed a shift. It’s awesome.

MiddMan

by MiddMan

Thanks bm0p700f that’s useful info, I had a feeling that might be case as Look seems to have strong bias toward Shimano or SRAM in nearly all its builds.

My thoughts too wintershade. I’m actually a die hard mechanical fan (one bike with 9-speed Shimano ultegra and another with 11-speed Campy SR) but for a TT bike I could totally get on board with EPS or Di2. It makes a lot of sense in a TT setup. Probably even ideal.

arthurf

by arthurf

As much as I love Campy, their TT groupsets are ridiculously priced and look antiquated compared to Di2 and ETAP.

On a TT bike, ETAP is king. It makes working on the front end super easy and you don't have to worry about convoluted internal wiring and battery placement

StrapOn

by StrapOn

Run Chorus EPS on P5. Works well however no satellite shifter options is a pain with hyd brakes

Miller

by Miller

Below is the aerobar setup on my BMC TM02. I'm running Chorus/Athena EPS. Not quite sure how this looks 'antiquated'. The bar-end shifter is a small lever rather than buttons. The brake levers do have shift buttons and look a lot like the Shimano equivalent. Cost-wise with a bit of s/h and sales buying it wasn't expensive. It's super-reliable and a pleasure to use.

That said, I wouldn't insist that TT & Tri has much focus at Campag so it may be a while before there's an EPS hydro brake lever, for example. Although on the UK TT scene I am yet to see a single TT bike with disc brakes - I have never seen any.

StrapOn

by StrapOn

P5 has hyd rim bikes.

XCProMD

by XCProMD

@Miller, that front end sure looks rad. How do you find the Campag levers? To me they nailed it with the ergonomics both of the shifters and the brake-shifting units.

Where is the battery located in your bike?

Miller

by Miller

The little Campag levers are fine. For those unfamiliar, they're sprung to a centre position. Little pull upwards, lower gear, little push downwards, bigger gear. Are they any better than Shimano or Sram switches, I have no idea. I got by without the brake shifters for a while, don't need to shift on the basebar while you're racing, right, but once I got them I realised they make the bike a much friendlier place. They are great when you're just pootling around warming up or riding through town to get to a local event or doing a training ride.

The EPS v2 battery is located vertically in the seat tube. That was a struggle. There is enough volume inside the tube despite the rear wheel cutout but I discovered there was a mould flashing about halfway down on the inside that blocked the battery. I had to sand away at that using sandpaper wrapped round a wooden dowel. When i could get the battery in, it was so snug I left it to sit there without trying to fasten it by bolts through the bottle cage mounts. It's a kludge but it works.

This isn't the most recent TM02 frame, it could be model year 2012. There's an access hatch to the back of the BB in the rear wheel cutout area. BMC being very shimano oriented, you could probably get one of the early rectangular Di2 batteries in there. It sure wasn't meant for Campag.

XCProMD

by XCProMD

Thanks Miller. Your set up is top notch!

by Weenie