Crit Bike!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

chiumomo

by chiumomo

Just curious, why would anyone prefer disc over rim brake on a crit bike? The better stopping power isn't giving you any advantage.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

chiumomo wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:08 pm
Just curious, why would anyone prefer disc over rim brake on a crit bike? The better stopping power isn't giving you any advantage.
Have you ever raced anything? Stopping power certainly gives you an advantage, particularly in races like crits where there might be considerable on/off as you enter and exit corners. Granted, they can also cause more problems too. If you're an insufficient bike handler and can't use the stopping, you risk putting yourself on the ground if you're trying to late brake into corners and wash out a front wheel.

I'm not a mega disc brake fan, but I'm not a disc brake hater either... generally, I'd say that disc brakes might be overkill in many road bike applications, but crit racing is perhaps one area where I think they might be a benefit.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Buy a 105 Allez disc, throw a power meter, some nice bars/tape and your 64s on it and go party.
Using Tapatalk

LouisN

by LouisN

If you fear to break stuff in crits, I would'nt use my CLX64's either.
If you can ride the front for most of your crits, braking won't be an issue with rim brakes.
Depending on your riding style and strength, you probably already know wich risks you are taking during your events.
I'm with the ''find a used rim brakes CAAD10 or Allez ( or else) with ''old school'' deep wheels'' camp.
And beat the hell out of your bike, and have fun.
If you want a second ''Specialized Hype'' product that's another thing... ;)

Louis :)