Crit Bike!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

cbrshadow

by cbrshadow

I recently built up a 2018 S-Works Venge Vias Disc, which has CLX 64 wheels (disc brakes).
I'm going to be racing crits this year and decided that I probably won't race with this bike, since it's too nice/expensive to potentially smash. Something cheaper would take some worry away. The 2nd bike would also be my "Crappy weather" bike.

I'm pretty set on getting a Specialized Allez Sprint for this purpose. I get 25% off new Specialized bikes so it will end up being very reasonable. I have to decide if I want to go with disc or rim brakes. It would be nice to throw the Roval CLX 64 wheels on the Allez and use those for my criterium races. In that case I would need to go with disc brakes.

Any reason I shouldn't go with the disc version of the Allez so that I can throw the CLX64's on it for certain races?
Would you go with rim brakes or disc?

angrylegs

by angrylegs

I'd go rim, but I have a couple rim brake bikes and honestly see no reason at all to go disc - and I don't like them - so I am biased.

I think in your case, as you already have a disc-equipped bike, and are building a crit-specific bike (hills and weight are mostly a non-factor, at least in brake selection), I would go disc brakes. Why not? Definitely would want to use those wheels you already have.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RedbullFiXX

by RedbullFiXX

Would say rim for crit racing only
But disc are really nice for a winter bike, wheels stay mint
Cyclocross, in general, is about riding the wrong bike for the conditions.

Matt28NJ

by Matt28NJ

Disc, but only to be compatible with what you already own.

wolfesquire

by wolfesquire

go rim brake and go for stiffness instead of weight. Just go with an allez sprint with ultegra (di2 if you want to splurge) and then some nice wheels in the 50-60 range for racing and a set of aluminums for every day training. Honestly, look in the used market as I have seen a handful selling for dirt cheap.

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

I would consider the previous genration Giant Propel. Stiff, fast, and super cheap.
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

cbrshadow

by cbrshadow

wolfesquire wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:48 pm
go rim brake and go for stiffness instead of weight. Just go with an allez sprint with ultegra (di2 if you want to splurge) and then some nice wheels in the 50-60 range for racing and a set of aluminums for every day training. Honestly, look in the used market as I have seen a handful selling for dirt cheap.
The main reason I am looking at Specialized is because of my 25% discount on their new bikes at a local shop.
I like the Allez disc for 2 reasons:
- Disc brake version comes with through axles
- Disc brake version would be an easy swap from my Venge Vias for the 64mm wheels (CLX64)

The rim brake version is tempting because it's a bit lighter, I believe. Based on what you're saying above though, I shouldn't focus on weight.

TLN

by TLN

I think Allez Sprint is dedicated crit bike. Or CAAD, but since you have 25% off with Spesh it looks like no brainer for me.
Comment abore regarding Allez disc is very good. That way you can use CLX64 on Crit, if you're ok with crashing those wheels though
His: Orbea Orca OMX
Hers: Cannondale Synapse HM Disc

wolfesquire

by wolfesquire

Ah sorry, I did gloss over the discount. If that is the case definitely go new as well as disc so you aren't "buying" someone else's problems.
Would you really put the CLX64s on the crit bike? Do you get discounts on just the bikes or on wheels as well? Yeah, the sprint disc is a no brainer then.

DJT21

by DJT21

A ~$2500 Allez is not a cheap bike, fit it with a pair of ~$2500 wheels and it's definitely an expensive bike!
This seems like a pointless exercise.
Just but a second hand CAAD for <$1000

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

The Allez Sprint is a GREAT crit bike... basically what it was designed to do. Generally, I'm of the opinion that a crit bike should be inexpensive and replacement parts should be inexpensive as well and disc brakes raise the bar signifigantly in that area, but given the fact that you have some other circumstances liek the discount and your other bike being a disc Venge, I can see the justification. I'd say go for the Allez Disc, if you're comfortable with the replacement costs..... the plus of using a disc brake bike that works the same as the disc brake bike you'll be riding when not racing is a plus... I'm not a HUGE beleiver in disc brakes for road bikes, but I'd say its important to have consistency in the brakig department.

cbrshadow

by cbrshadow

DJT21 wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:33 pm
A ~$2500 Allez is not a cheap bike, fit it with a pair of ~$2500 wheels and it's definitely an expensive bike!
This seems like a pointless exercise.
Just but a second hand CAAD for <$1000
The Allez Disc is $2,200 new, minus my 25% discount puts it at $1,650. Since I already have the CLX-64 wheels on my Venge (Purchased for $1,200 new take-offs from coworker) I don't include those in the price of the bike.

$1,650 is still a fair amount of money, but I'd guess it's on the extreme lower end compared to what I see in local crits in my area (Northern California)

wolfesquire

by wolfesquire

Look at Cory Williams' allez sprint disc. the thing is a beaut!
IG: nationsnumber1beast

jfranci3

by jfranci3

Just go one wheel standard. Disc, Rim... won't make a big difference in your life. Neither bike is SCS, right? Getting another set of nice wheels would add $1k+ to your tab - this would only work if you could find a used bike frame.
Make sure the discs are legal in your crit.
Last edited by jfranci3 on Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com