Road disc; centerlock or six bolt?

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
hannawald

by hannawald

Shimano has governed the road disc market so standard choice is centerlock. But if you want light disc project (I know contradiction:) than go 6 bolts, much lighter. You can have hubs from Extralite or Tune or Carbon Ti... rotors from Galfer for example. Weight difference is significant, there really is not a rotor choice in centerlock..
Both systems works well.

SchallUndRauch

by SchallUndRauch

I prefer centerlock for ease of changing rotors and taking them off for travelling. With an adapter, you can still use the cheaper 6-bolt rotors. In contrast to hannawald, I find the bit of extra weight not to be significant, but my approach is less governed by grams.

by Weenie

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

6 bolt give you the weight weenie options. But dt swiss makes a great centerlock to 6bolt adaptor.

Given the choice, i would do 6 bolt, but i have a torque wrench.

martinkartin

by martinkartin

I would rather use center lock based on aesthetics of the hub and the locking ring, but the 6 bolt option will be on my next wheelset as ww hubs are apparently built lighter not having the center lock spline.
Factor O2 Disc Romain Bardet Limited Edition

maxxevv

by maxxevv

NickJHP wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:14 am
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:08 am
If you travel with your bike, choose centerlock hubs/rotors so you can remove the rotors easily.
Except that then you need to also travel with the appropriate lockring tool and a minimum 8" wrench to get sufficient torque when installing the rotor. For the six bolt rotor all you need is the Torx or allen key.
Sounds like you have never dabbled with removing/replacing your wheelset cassette before ?

NickJHP

by NickJHP

maxxevv wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:24 am
NickJHP wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:14 am
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:08 am
If you travel with your bike, choose centerlock hubs/rotors so you can remove the rotors easily.
Except that then you need to also travel with the appropriate lockring tool and a minimum 8" wrench to get sufficient torque when installing the rotor. For the six bolt rotor all you need is the Torx or allen key.
Sounds like you have never dabbled with removing/replacing your wheelset cassette before ?
Not outside of my workshop, no. When I'm travelling by bike, I just carry a minimal set of tools. I haven't broken a spoke since I started using stainless steel spokes about 40 years ago, so I don't bother to carry a lockring remover or the wrench and chainwhip needed to use it.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

NickJHP wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:47 am

Not outside of my workshop, no. When I'm travelling by bike, I just carry a minimal set of tools. I haven't broken a spoke since I started using stainless steel spokes about 40 years ago, so I don't bother to carry a lockring remover or the wrench and chainwhip needed to use it.

You don't need to use a chainwhip to remove a rotor...

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

You do for the cassette removal in question

maxxevv

by maxxevv

Zakalwe wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:04 am
You do for the cassette removal in question
It was alluding to the fact that its just the same tool used for a centerlock rotor lock ring as a cassette one.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

And this is still a thread about rotors. I brought up centerlock for travel because I really couldn't be arsed constantly loosening/fastening 12 bolts every time I moved from one travel stop to another. I'll take the weight penalty of carrying a simple one-piece lockring tool like the one Abbey Tools makes.

maxxevv

by maxxevv

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:10 am
And this is still a thread about rotors. I brought up centerlock for travel because I really couldn't be arsed constantly loosening/fastening 12 bolts every time I moved from one travel stop to another. I'll take the weight penalty of carrying a simple one-piece lockring tool like the one Abbey Tools makes.
Agreed. Not forgetting that the much higher torque specifications of a single lockring means that a torque wrench is mostly moot. Not that much so with the 6 bolts due to its more sensitive, lower torque values.

Miller

by Miller

maxxevv wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:41 am
It was alluding to the fact that its just the same tool used for a centerlock rotor lock ring as a cassette one.
As I found recently, not necessarily. The dimensions of some hub axles preclude use of a CL lockring that is tightened with a cassette tool. For hubs with oversize axles you need a CL lockring with external splines like Shimano SM-HB20. These are fastened with the tool used for external BB cups.

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

Yeah, Campy discs use the BB cup tool rather than a cassette tool

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Zakalwe wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:22 pm
Yeah, Campy discs use the BB cup tool rather than a cassette tool
So do my Bontrager Affinity Comps. Odd, because every other Centerlock wheelset I have uses the cassette tool.
Madone 9 - https://bit.ly/2Nqedbn
Emonda SLR - https://bit.ly/2UK5FP8
Crockett - https://bit.ly/2Xem4sk

Madone 5, Cobia. I own a lot of Treks.

kode54

by kode54

Centerlock. Less things to go wrong or bad. Saves time. Looks better/cleaner.
- Factor 02 Disc + DA9170 + Enve 4.5AR CK CL hubs
- Moots Vamoots Disc RSL Titanium + DA9170 + Enve 3.4AR CK CL hubs
- Parlee Altum + DA9150 + Enve SES 4.5 Ene carbon hubs
- Argonaut Spacebike 2.0 + DA9170 + Enve SES 5.6 DT Swiss 240 CL hubs

by Weenie