2019 Plans or Resolutions

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
zmjones

by zmjones

1. hit 10k miles/750k feet for the year
2. super-randonneur
3. improve handling/pack skills
4. do a multiday tour
5. build a trail donkey
6. podium at a competitive race

PokojniToza

by PokojniToza

1. start wearing a helmet.

by Weenie

KCookie

by KCookie

Only really have one, to stay safe and to get my confidence back going down hill after breaking 11 ribs, fracturing my sternum and a collapsed lung. It's definitely hindering me. !!

KCookie

by KCookie

PokojniToza wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:01 pm
Bloody good choice, it's law here in Australia and should be all over.
Last edited by KCookie on Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

PokojniToza

by PokojniToza

It is optional over here. I started wearing it occasionally (I hate to wear it in the summer, it's too damn hot). Funny thing, this summer I crashed (more precisely, a car driven by an underage idiot of the female variety crached into me) and I busted my ribs and my knee, but absolutely nothing on the head. Yes, I am aware this means nothing. Hence the resolution:)

KCookie

by KCookie

PokojniToza wrote:It is optional over here. I started wearing it occasionally (I hate to wear it in the summer, it's too damn hot). Funny thing, this summer I crashed (more precisely, a car driven by an underage idiot of the female variety crached into me) and I busted my ribs and my knee, but absolutely nothing on the head. Yes, I am aware this means nothing. Hence the resolution:)
Better to be hot than end up dead or disabled from a head injury.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Kazyole

by Kazyole

KCookie wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:23 am
PokojniToza wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:01 pm
Bloody good choice, it's law here in Australia and should be all over.
Great resolution!

Regarding the law (and I'm afraid of opening up a can of worms here) it's one of those things where studies show that helmet laws decrease ridership and lead to more dangerous roads for everyone because drivers aren't used to sharing the roads...but on a personal level I think it's crazy to choose not to wear one.

And I don't buy the "study" that gets cited that says that cars pass closer to helmeted cyclist. It was an irresponsibly small sample size in an uncontrolled environment without much published about methodology, and boils down to about a 3 inch discrepency with an average passing distance still of around 3 feet. Its results are almost always cited vaguely or overstated to make it seem as if the difference in average passing distance was far more significant than it was. I just don't see any compelling reasons against personal helmet use.

themidge

by themidge

In general I think people should wear helmets, but I don't think they should be made to wear helmets. I don't really like the idea of having to worry about getting fined by a watchful policeman when I'm riding to the shops.

My new years resolutions are:
- ride lots, faster and further
- upgrade the bikes :D
- maybe try a bit of racing, definitely want to do some hill climbs

MrAnderson

by MrAnderson

1. Stop buying expensive bikes to keep just 1 year.
2. Lose 6kgs by end of Febuary.
3. Reduce alcohol significantly.
4. Get my FTP upto at least 230 @ 63kgs.
5. Take my HP4 to the Nurburgring and spank it :mrgreen:

CEVelo

by CEVelo

Ride the bikes I already own to the ground - no need for upgrades in 2019.
Stop skipping gym or trainer for work..not worth it.
Keep with my schedule; 3x 1hr trainer sessions per week before work and ~1-2 outdoor rides on weekends.

LeDuke

by LeDuke

1) 6w/kg for 10min. Might have to wait to do that on vacation in WA or CA next summer. Living at 7000ft makes that a bit much to ask.

2) A 4,000m day. It’s easy enough to do a 2,000m or 3,000m day, but a 4,000m day around here probably involves some pretty rural, isolated roads. Food and water will be the big concerns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by LeDuke on Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StanK

by StanK

ParisCarbon wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:02 pm
5) Try not to hate my job so much... it does pay for carbon :)
Good one :mrgreen: :thumbup:

Personally, no big/fixed plans. I would just "be around", like all this years. It's not that bad at all.

Berzin1

by Berzin1

dgasmd wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:07 pm
I am not one to make new year's resolutions, but this coming year sees me with some serious plans ahead.

5. Serious weight loss that has creeped in due to amany reasons over the last 18-24 months.
6. I turn 49 in August 2019. I have some seriously challenging rides scheduled for my 50th year. Hence the coach and weight lost before I even get to August.
7. More importantly, I want toget more consistant with meditation and letting go of things I cannot change while becoming the hero in my own story!!

Anyone else??
Unsolicited advice here-meditation isn't enough. It's tough to let things go when you've consciously or unconsciously programmed your brain to ruminate over certain things. It's always good to find a therapist who can help to change this pattern. There are good therapists out there who specialize in exactly what you're dealing with, and I can tell you a couple of months with the right doctor can do more for you than anything else.

As for weight loss, there is too much information but not enough qualified information about dieting and weight loss. A nutritionist is key here. Find one with a background in sports.

My resolutions started a couple of months ago. Wanted to get back into cycling after a prolonged hiatus (way too long), so I committed to making purchases which will help me and that will assist with inspiration and motivation. All new cycling clothing (Castelli), a new frame and fork (already in the works, should be here by mid-to late February), my dream wheelsets (Lightweight and Zipp), new Sidi shoes, and all manner of recovery tools such as compession therapy, a Compex tens unit, massage table, and all types of gadgets for stretching and rehabilitation.

I'm training on the home trainer for now just to get my cardio re-introduced to cycling and to lose some weight. I refuse to go out there looking like I used to. I can get fitter than I was when I last rode regularly, and that's what I'm working on now. I also plan to ride the Gran Fondo in my area coming this spring, more for riding with others than for anything else, and the atmosphere seems conducive to a nice day out.

There you have it.

Lewn777

by Lewn777

Upgrade my bike with Dura-Ace pedals, new saddle and new wheels.
Upgrade my riding to 300w FTP or more, and at least 4.25w/kg.
Do an another Everesting this time on a HC or Cat 1 monster.
Ride in more Fondos and Sportives.

Grobar

by Grobar

1. Reach 5w/kg for 20min, actually doing 4.47, need 30 more watts :D I am 57kg
2. Do well in my first ever race season
3. Finish my master so I can find a job, earn money and upgrade my bike :mrgreen:

by Weenie