Custom frame build experience

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

kgibbo1868

by kgibbo1868

RyanH wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:08 pm
There's a few other threads here that should be helpful but a custom bike is not time to be playing with your fit. Fitting is educated guesswork at best.
Thanks Ryan, I should have searched this first. There are plenty of threads with this topic discussed already.
2019 Baum Ristretto
Pain is my friend!

AJS914

by AJS914

Kgibbo, it seems like you have too many questions and contradictions to be going custom. IMO, of course.
My builder will spend 3-4 hours dialing in my fit so that should be solid. I struggle with knowing how stiff vs compliant will be right for me. I really want comfort but equally I want a race bike as well, I sure hope I get the right balance. Things I have already decided on are rim brakes and a threaded BB. An am not clear on headset, any thoughts?
Like others have said, you should know the fit you want to achieve before going custom. You should have a good reason to go custom. You say you want comfort but want a race bike. Sure, anything can be raced but typically racy geometries and stiffness levels sacrifice comfort. Modern race bikes like the Tarmac or Venge can take 28mm tires on wide rims. Headset? The builder should be offering you an option or maybe zero options based on what he typically builds with.

Have you considered what this custom steel bike will weigh in the end? I experimented one time with steel after riding titanium and carbon for a number of years. I was wondering if "steel was real" and whether I had forgotten what steel felt like. The ride was nice and smooth. The frame wasn't stiff compared to what I had been used to and the bike weighed two pounds more. It was kind of a ho-hum experience - a fine bike to pile on the miles but it didn't feel like a razor sharp race bike and it didn't fly up hills with the extra weight. It left with me the feeling that there was no point in going back to steel.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I have never owned a steel custom bike. But my friend Alex has a custom Caletti with Campy mechanical and deep Zipp wheels. Painted in pink and grey. It’s a gorgeous bike. But the most amazing thing is the weight. Or lack of it I should say. In my hands it feels like around 16 pounds. He absolutely loves it and he came from carbon. I would not write off steel. Perhaps the newer thin-walled air-hardened steel tubes can provide a good balance of weight and stiffness the OP is looking for. From Caletti’s website.

A brave new world of steel.
High strength, heat treated, alloyed, butted and shaped tubing expertly crafted for speed.
We have selected a smart mix of light tubing in larger diameters to keep the weight low and responsiveness high, while retaining durability. It’s no easy feat welding and working with these thin tubes, but John has the welding experience to join these tubes efficiently with a precise, pulsed TIG weld – ideal for this short butt length light tubing.

Super Steel Frame $2400

Custom Geometry included.

We are happy to work with you to build a complete bike with your choice of parts. Complete custom bikes start at $5370.

Purpose Built for

Speed
Fast Climbs
Technical Descents
Saturday morning local World Championships

Key Features

Our Lightest & Stiffest Model
High Performance Handling
Carves Corners like a Mofo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by pdlpsher1 on Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wookski

by Wookski

Agree with all the points above except for the weird chainstay rant- maybe ignore that one. Custom works best when you’re very clear about what you want and can communicate that to the builder. It’s very handy to be clear about your preferred geo to begin with.

Steel is a wonderful material for a frame. Yes it’s heavy but with good components it’s not an issue. The generalisations around steel’s performance are naive, shitty bikes can be built with any material.

Wookski

by Wookski

AJS914 wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:59 am
Have you considered what this custom steel bike will weigh in the end?
My steel Cherubim weighs nearly half a kilo less than your c59 :lol:

kgibbo1868

by kgibbo1868

Lots of good comments. I am happy with my current fit and don’t expect any major changes, just tweaking a bit I expect but I will definitely see what the builder ( Baum Cycles) has to say. Baum has an excellent reputation for getting fit and Geo right so I am sure that will be solid. After reading my opening post I can see it sounds a bit confusing but essentially I want a well balanced bike that is very stable and not uncomfortably stiff. I want a HZ tt ( I just like the look ).

I really just was hoping to hear a few thoughts from people with custom build experience as to things I should be considering early on.

2019 Baum Ristretto
Pain is my friend!

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

It would be my dream to own a Baum. Perhaps one day. You are in good hands with Darren Baum.

If Baum offers a T47 BB option, take it. I have it. And with a Chris King BB I bought their grease injection tool which makes BB service a breeze. I inject new grease in the bearings every three months. The new grease is injected from the back of the bearing and the old grease is pushed out to the front. No creaking and a super smooth operation from the BB.

I also like the CK Inset 7 headset. I expect the CK BB and headset to last as long as the frame.

Personally I prefer externally routed brakes. It’s easier to service and it’s lighter.

Keep in mind that a horizontal TT gives a harsher ride due to the short exposed seat tube. To maximize comfort I spec’ed my bike with a 11 degree sloping TT. This maximizes the exposed seat post and the extra flex in the seat post makes a huge difference in taking the sting out of bad roads.

kgibbo1868

by kgibbo1868

I totally agree on the CK BB and HS. Baum do T47 for disk bikes and BSA for rim brake. I want rim brake and will go external route for the rear brake cable.

2019 Baum Ristretto
Pain is my friend!

Robbyville

by Robbyville

Although I own a Speedvagen I’d certainly would have been ecstatic with a Baum. Your fit is key and make sure they focus on your balance between the two wheels. I was surprised how much time Sacha from SV spent with me simply standing on the pedals and dropping down with my hands landing on the hoods while getting the perfect position. When I got home after my fitting I would play with the same exercise and was a bit surprised at how differently my previous bike (which I also loved), was balanced.

Other than the joy of a bike that nobody else can call their own I adore the feel and quality of the ride my custom bike gives me daily.

kgibbo1868

by kgibbo1868

Robbyville wrote:Although I own a Speedvagen I’d certainly would have been ecstatic with a Baum. Your fit is key and make sure they focus on your balance between the two wheels. I was surprised how much time Sacha from SV spent with me simply standing on the pedals and dropping down with my hands landing on the hoods while getting the perfect position. When I got home after my fitting I would play with the same exercise and was a bit surprised at how differently my previous bike (which I also loved), was balanced.

Other than the joy of a bike that nobody else can call their own I adore the feel and quality of the ride my custom bike gives me daily.
Thanks, I am pretty stoked on getting a Baum as I have been wanting one for 5 years. I really like your SV, the paint looks fantastic! Can I ask how long you have had it, and is there anything you would do differently if you were to order a custom bike now?

2019 Baum Ristretto
Pain is my friend!

basilic

by basilic

- a big draw of custom is that the process is fun - deciding what you want and why, discussing with the builder, etc, especially if it's a bit out of the norm.
- another benefit is that the tubes will be optimized for your weight and riding style. Out-of-the-box frames tend to be a bit overbuilt so the 110 kg customers don't break the bike instantly, and that's not optimal if you weigh eg 70 kg.

Miller

by Miller

Get a nice paint job.

morganb

by morganb

Miller wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:12 pm
Get a nice paint job.
I went with too simple/quiet of a paint job on my custom bike and kind of regretted not going with something a bit bolder.

Robbyville

by Robbyville

kgibbo1868 wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:55 am
[/quote wrote: Thanks, I am pretty stoked on getting a Baum as I have been wanting one for 5 years. I really like your SV, the paint looks fantastic! Can I ask how long you have had it, and is there anything you would do differently if you were to order a custom bike now?

Thanks for the kind words! I’ve had the bike almost a year now and enjoy it incredibly. It is my only bike and I ride about 3-4 days per week. It’s been comfortable for centuries as much as my regular 25-40 mile rides. I Made sure to avoid the “what if’s” so I got every upgrade and feature that I knew I would want I.e. one piece painted to match bar/stem vs just a stem. Things like painted hubs didn’t matter to me but the carbon seat tube and seat post did (tube for ride quality, post and bar/stem combo for aesthetics).

IMO paint is an important decision as well, I often think of the other paint scheme and colors that I was considering at the time, I’m very happy that I chose a more classic scheme but with bolder colors. I think this will stand up to my own tastes and whims. Frankly, I smile every day when I ride this thing, I know it’s pure ego but I never get tired of looking at it and have never felt even a hint of regret or change of attitude with the purchase. Although I do believe that it’s a tool and any number of bikes would have been fine for me, this has been the most enjoyable and enjoyed purchase I’ve made.
Last edited by Robbyville on Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

morganb wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:39 pm

I went with too simple/quiet of a paint job on my custom bike and kind of regretted not going with something a bit bolder.
That's something you can easily change though.