Low stack TREK Emonda conical spacer

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
diegogarcia

by diegogarcia

Can anyone recommend a lower stack conical style spacer for my Emonda SLR6 2016 - I want to get the front lower from the 20/25mm stock item.

Have googled but throws up all sorts but nothing conclusive.

Stock conical is FSA.

Thanks in advance !

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

By conical spacer I assume you mean bearing cover. Cane Creek makes the Slamset, which is about 4mm for drop-in IS style headsets like on the Emonda. They also have a traditional low-stack cover which is 9mm as well as a 15mm.

by Weenie

diegogarcia

by diegogarcia

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:16 pm
By conical spacer I assume you mean bearing cover. Cane Creek makes the Slamset, which is about 4mm for drop-in IS style headsets like on the Emonda. They also have a traditional low-stack cover which is 9mm as well as a 15mm.
Great - any valid UK links or websites ? Thanks dude.

tommasini

by tommasini

http://grafixbyjorj.co.uk/

Located in the UK (but will mail most anywhere) He has 3 and 4 mm tall as I recall - and in several outer diameters to best match up to your headtube diameter. Black anodized. Reasonable price of 7.50 GBP

nemeseri

by nemeseri

Cane Creek makes a conical spacer for the emonda. The mechanic at my trek LBS spent some time until he found it, but I got it at the end. I think it was around 4-6mm.
Last edited by nemeseri on Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

nemeseri

by nemeseri

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Both my P1 Emondas came with Cane Creek Forty headsets with 15mm covers. As I mentioned before, the covers are either 9mm or 15mm for Cane Creek headsets. The Slamset is the lowest stack option available at 4.6mm and what I’m using now.

northshore

by northshore

Does anyone know why trek requires a 5mm spacer be placed below the stem as well as above? Wouldn't a 5mm spacer + 5mm cover be the same as a 10mm bearing cover? Yet in the manual, they specifically warn against having just a cover.

MisterNoChain

by MisterNoChain

Looking at the Trek Emonda's or Domane's of Trek-Segafredo i see a lot of bikes that only have a bearing cover. They do use a 5mm spacer above the stem.

I found this explanation:
Always place at least one 5mm spacer below the stem. This spacer is in addition to the bearing cover, which must be at least 5mm. If the stem rests against the bearing cover, a point load is created on the steerer that could eventually cause the steerer to break.

northshore

by northshore

I'm not an engineer and am curious about the physics behind that. How a stem against the bearing cover causes a "point load", and why a spacer mitigates that.

nemeseri

by nemeseri

It's because of historical reasons. There was a famous crash during Paris-Roubaix in 2006 when George Hincapie's stearing tube catastrophically failed. There were multiple articles and guesses why that happened. Trek introduced the 5mm spacers above and below the stem not long after that crash.

Video of the crash: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZg1vrvGbdE
A bit of a background: http://www.operationgadget.com/2006/04/ ... pie_c.html (BTW I don't buy the previous crash explanation)

Different companies have different recommendations for spacers above / below the stems. They probably test their own stems / spacer / bearing cover / headtube combinations for fatigue in the stearing tubes and make recommendations based on the results. For example cannondale recommends against spacers on the top of their stems. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I believe it's a recommendation partly because of legal reasons. It gives an easy exit for companies from lawsuits... BUT in general I think it's a smart move to follow these recommendations. On the other hand I'd probably slam my stem on my next trek without hesitating. But that's just me, and I'm stupid.

by Weenie