Swaping Ultegra 6800 crankset with Dura Ace 9000?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mattr

by mattr

Because it's significantly below zero and the roads are covered in a nice thick layer of road grime, salt and other "stuff".

You can grind your D-A into scrap if you want to. I won't be. Neither will anyone i ride with.
Most of them will be on mountain or CX bikes with full guards and 100+ studs per tyre.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kdawg

by kdawg

StanK wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:10 pm
mattr wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:18 pm
... No ones riding D-A outside for another couple of months...
Why? I would ride, can't see why not. A Year from now, in this time of year, I hope so.
Although, I do not ride if roads are wet. Summer or winter, no difference.
When the roads are wet? That’s at least 9 months of the year around here.
I'm left handed, if that matters.

StanK

by StanK

Luckily, over here that's not the case. It's not dry climate, but there is no too many rainy (or snowy) days through the year.
And I really don't like cleaning bike from "head to toe".
The last time when the rain caught me (some 15 years ago) I spent two afternoons to thoroughly clean the bike. Then I told myself "never again". And, riding in the rain is really no pleasure for me.

mattr

by mattr

StanK wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:40 am
I spent two afternoons to thoroughly clean the bike.
:shock: Ground up rebuild for a bit of rain?
I'd never ride a bike if it took that long to clean after a wet/dirty ride!

You need more practice :wink:

StanK

by StanK

Ok, not two whole afternoons, but two days after getting home from job till evening hours. So, about 6 hours in total. Way too much. And I really hate cleaning whole bike. Go with a cloth here and there, 5-10 minutes, okay, but I do not like when I have to spend more than that.

I loose day or two in a month (rarely more) because of rain (snow), but it's a more than fair trade for me. Or maybe I'm just little bit lazy :mrgreen:

HenHarrier

by HenHarrier

I wouldn't dream of thinking I speak for anyone else on this esteemed forum, but personally I can't afford dura ace (I have ultegra) and if I did scrape enough money together to buy it I would need it to last two or three years and not be destroyed by cow poop, mud, and road filth over one winter. I appreciate for some members money isn't an issue (and I don't say that with any jealousy or envy - I love the out-of-reach builds on here and the voices of experience who've owned more bikes individually than most of the guys I ride with combined), but for me it is and there is a very good reason why I polish and protect and hesitate when it's really nasty outside and that's because like everyone on here I love my bike but unlike many on here it's the only one I've got and I want to keep it nice for as long as I can. Maybe I should confine myself to lesser forums where noone dreams of berk saddles and brakes that cost three weeks rent, but I like it here and I hope you don't mind me dropping in occasionally. Thanks for the great images, advice, stories, and weights to aim at and happy new year to you all. Cheers

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Broady

by Broady

adilosnave wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:18 pm
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but changing from Ultegra 6800 to DA 9100 or Ultegra 8000 won't work perfectly as the chainline won't be correct. Don't recall specifics but I believe the inner chainring has been moved in-board slightly in order to help with some gearing ratios.
FWIW I run a 9100 chainset with 9070 FD and it's absolutely fine, that's with an oval inner ring too, no noticeable difference compared to the 9000 chainset.

StanK

by StanK

HenHarrier wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:00 pm
... personally I can't afford dura ace (I have ultegra) and if I did scrape enough money together to buy it I would need it to last two or three years and not be destroyed by cow poop, mud, and road filth over one winter...
To be honest, me neither can't afford new Dura Ace, or Dura Ace equipped bike of that calibre (in signature).

But, since my plan is to have that bike for next 10 or so years, I will buy some SH Dura Ace parts. That way, I can afford it. It's more good looking and it's lighter. Enough for me, right now.
And I really hope that would last 10 years and still be usable.