Trek Emonda ALR Disc - possible to run with Di2???

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Stitchking

by Stitchking

saverin wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 4:27 am
Here it is. Took some cutting and soldering of wires. Will post more photos shortly...just excited to be done (almost).

IMG_0778.jpg
Tight

BiigWatts

by BiigWatts

Anybody interested in running Emonda ALR with Di2 - Go For It! Finished mine a few days ago. Nothing overly complicated. Used seatpost battery mount and ran E-tube down and out the hole in BB. Then ran wires for derailleurs along their respective tubes and secured along with electrical tape for now but might do something a little cleaner. Then there's also a hole connecting downtube to bb which I used to route battery wire through after attaching everything including wire from shifters to a four port junction with tucked perfectly into downtube. For the exit ports I used Trek's control freak head tube plug which is used for their mountain bikes and provides clean cable entry and exit of hoses and wires. Little bit of figuring out but definitely worth it. Loving my one of a kind Emonda ALR 7 Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gwilson

by gwilson

BiigWatts wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:13 am
Anybody interested in running Emonda ALR with Di2 - Go For It! Finished mine a few days ago. Nothing overly complicated. Used seatpost battery mount and ran E-tube down and out the hole in BB. Then ran wires for derailleurs along their respective tubes and secured along with electrical tape for now but might do something a little cleaner. Then there's also a hole connecting downtube to bb which I used to route battery wire through after attaching everything including wire from shifters to a four port junction with tucked perfectly into downtube. For the exit ports I used Trek's control freak head tube plug which is used for their mountain bikes and provides clean cable entry and exit of hoses and wires. Little bit of figuring out but definitely worth it. Loving my one of a kind Emonda ALR 7 Disc
Sounds awesome, any pics?

schlafen

by schlafen

If I remember correctly Shimano used to do a wireless rear derailleur transmitter box or such for Di2. Can't remember what it's called but that may be an option for this frame.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Di2 has never had a wireless function. The only thing Shimano transmits wirelessly is via bluetooth to your head unit, to let you monitor battery level and gears (and can be used to update the firmware via eTube). Di2 is a wired system, only (at the moment).

BiigWatts

by BiigWatts

Weight- 18lbs
Emonda ALR Frameset Purple Flip
Bontrager Aeolus Pro 5 TLR Disc Wheels with Schwalbe Pro Ones Tubeless
Shimano Ultegra Di2 Disc Groupset
Bontrager XXX Seatpost
Bontrager XXX Aero Handlebar
Bontrager Pro Stem
Bontrager Aeolus Saddle
Lizard Skins 2.5mm Tape
Attachments
EA45468F-F1F8-4387-A9C2-08F6F0737209.jpeg

schlafen

by schlafen

FIJIGabe wrote:Di2 has never had a wireless function. The only thing Shimano transmits wirelessly is via bluetooth to your head unit, to let you monitor battery level and gears (and can be used to update the firmware via eTube). Di2 is a wired system, only (at the moment).
Had to look it up, you're right

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

amey

by amey

i am about to finish building mine; cabling wasnt easy and had to resort to floss tied at the end of the cable and vacuum cleaner trick.

Heres how i cabled; cable from stem junction box into DT into bb shell and inside ST where i have the internal junction box, cable for rear mch from ST into DT then exit at where brake hose/cables would exit the frame and then just under chainstay towards rear mech. I guess having 1x makes it a little easier.

will post once i have finished the build; waiting on brake hose.
63EB9D8E-86F9-475F-9955-1E7C08B16E20.jpeg

amey

by amey

Finished it today