mounting caliper brakes on carbon frame?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Catagory6

by Catagory6

do you use the knurled washer?
plain washer?
no washer?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Knurled, and usually just one unless I need a teensy bit more clearance (usually at the front of the fork leg), in which case I might use two.
There is usually an alloy insert for the brake bolt to pass through in carbon frames (I can’t think of any that don’t off hand). Either way, the knurled insert helps keep things stay put.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

uraqt

by uraqt

I would guess that the brake brand makes a difference, that said I use thin rubber washer. I think carbon dosn't like the knurled washer cutting into it.. I had no idea that there is a "alloy insert" in the brake bridge.

C

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Rubber (or anything remotely soft or flexible) would be the last thing I want between two pieces where an absolutely solid mount is required, as in the brake/frame interface. I guess if it was super thin then it would essentially be totally flattened out with the tightening torque anyway. But now you have me curious as to just how many frames use an alloy insert if some sort versus simple a carbon lip or insert for the brake net flange to butt up against. I know I said I wasn’t aware of any but I’m sure there are probably more than a few out there these days.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ