Campagnolo Power Meters

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

naavt

by naavt

Hi all,

Can you folks tell me what power meters are you using with Campag groupsets?

I’m finding a hard time to find one that’s both accurate and relatively cheap but that seems impossible.

My first option after reading various reviews was P2max NG Eco. I was surprised by how many good reviews it has for a sub 500€ PM, but soon discovered that it’s only sold with a complete crank for Campag users. On top of that adds 2 chainrings for the 4 Bolt crank since I’m using the 5 Bolt one, and that’s 200€ plus on chainrings alone.

SRM is out of the question for me (wallet wise)

Powertap is no good. I’ve just finished building a light wheel set from Extralite hubs and I’m not fancying throwing 500€ of rear wheel hub into trash.

Stages and 4iii glued into cranks (double sided) are in P2max crank spider ballpark, and if I were to choose one it would be P2max.

I’m using CrankBrother pedals on my road bike, so PM pedals are of no use to me.

I really don’t know how and where to go from here so any help will be very appreciated. Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

Stages and 4iii glued into cranks (double sided) are in P2max crank spider ballpark, and if I were to choose one it would be P2max.
A Campagnolo P2Max seems to cost 1400-1600 euros so I don't see how it's even close to Stages or 4iii. Does 4iii even have a Campagnolo option.

Another budget option is Pioneer with a Potenza crankset.

All the other cheap options involve running a Rotor or other brand crankset on your Campagnolo drivetrain.

naavt

by naavt

AJS914 wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:14 am
A Campagnolo P2Max seems to cost 1400-1600 euros so I don't see how it's even close to Stages or 4iii. Does 4iii even have a Campagnolo option.
P2max is currently selling their NG Eco for 1000€. Stages single legged Record is about 850€, and we’re talking about a single crank arm here!

Seedster

by Seedster

I would go either P2M or SRM for campagnolo because they’re accurate and look pretty close to the stock crankset

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tanghy

by tanghy

i use the stages record model, will have a ngeco to compare against soon on my other bike to see if there are any differences in reading

Guevarca

by Guevarca

There seem to be some good deals on Stages gen2 at the moment here in the UK on some Campag models, although am not too sure if gen2 still had a few issues?

Flapmeat

by Flapmeat

I run a Chorus Stages PM. They had a 170mm on sale for $300...that's just downright cheap!

Seems to read close to my Quarq Riken I've used for a few years, so I'm happy.

Honestly if you bought Campy Record/Super Record and expect a cheap option for power, you're being pretty silly. Campagnolo isn't cheap (even Chorus). If you throw the lack of popularity of Campagnolo in the sport, it drives prices a bit higher especially on the used market. Shimano/SRAM stuff is all relatively cheap on the used market because it's all over the place!

Guevarca

by Guevarca

Am looking to sell my Type S 4-Bolt Power2Max (170mm) if you are UK based, have not posted enough to use the classifieds here yet

naavt

by naavt

Guevarca wrote:Am looking to sell my Type S 4-Bolt Power2Max (170mm) if you are UK based, have not posted enough to use the classifieds here yet
Hi Gueverca. Thanks for the offer. I would consider it if it were 172,5!

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk

naavt

by naavt

tanghy wrote:i use the stages record model, will have a ngeco to compare against soon on my other bike to see if there are any differences in reading
Can you please post your findings on this post or send me a PM after you tested it? Thanks

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk

c60rider

by c60rider

I have a P2M NG and also bought a Type 1 are both are very close to each other in terms of power output. They also match up well with a Quarq Red that I bought a few years ago as my first power meter. I tried a Stages gen 2 SR a year ago for my winter bike as I could use it with a standard 5 arm crank but it seemed wildly out. As it's left hand crank measure I put it on the same bikes as both the P2M NG and Type 1 connecting it up separately to a different Garmins and I was able to compare the Stages directly with each of the P2M. Cadence was fluctuating all over the place by as much as +/- 10 rpm. Power was as much as 20% different in real time every few pedal strokes yet I was testing this indoors and riding very consistently. I would run a mile from Stages personally. I may have just got a bad one but they supposedly set each one up with each crank due to the variations in carbon crank manufacture. The P2M NGeco is probably the best/cheapest Campag power meter to go for. The Type 1 that I have is a similar price but has slightly fiddly access to replace the battery compared to the eco.

Sjoerd

by Sjoerd

Power2Max have the Type S on sale. Crank (four bolt version), chainrings and the powermeter combined sell for 1099 euro's. I am very tempted to buy it myself since I am on the verge of having to replace two chainrings on my 5 bolt crankset which doesn't have a power meter yet.

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

Prob the biggest thing Ive read with the Stages V2 is the communication drops.. apparently the V3 solves this.. having your Garmin "out front" of the stem was too far in some cases and would cause drop outs.. apparently the V3 solved this...
I own a Campy NG, and a few SRMs... Ive compared my crank based PMs to my Tacx Neo.. in a 20 minute effort on a 2% slope the SRM and the Crankbased PMs were within 1 watt of one another...
A friend has a stages V2 and he compared it to a 90 minute zwift ride, and he told me the Stages was 3% lower then the Neo...
Then Ive seen tests where an SRM and Stages were virtually identical ( you can youtube several videos)
SRM has priced themself out of the market really. I own 3 SRM meters, and I have to admit the servicing has been great.. but I could literally almost get 2 NGs for the price of one SRM with the same accuracy... and its the EXACT same crankarms between the 2 models..
If you ever want to go 12 speed, the 12s rings simply bolt on.. and yes I can tell you that there are non labeled 11s arms coming for SRM and P2Max.. Ive seen them..

TonyM

by TonyM

I am using the P2M Campagnolo Type S.
No problem at all. Very reliable.

To me the other good option is SRM, but much more expensive....

kervelo

by kervelo

I am building a new bike with Campagnolo and on Black Friday I decided to go with vector 3 (20% discount helped). The bike will have the chorus disc groupset and I really didn’t like the idea of getting the chainline wrong with some 3rd party crankset. One option was the stages H11, but it is not exactly cheap for a left-only. P2M would have been another option and perhaps still is, if I don’t like the pedal based PM.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com