C64 Disc Stem Options Internal Routing

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

scb

by scb

Just received C64 disc with internal routings along with an alloy SR9 stem. I was expecting the R41 carbon stem with internal routings. Supposedly, Colnago had issues with manufacturor of carbon stem with internal routings and ending up with the alloy SR9 stem. It’s not great looking and kind of clunky and I wanted carbon. Does anybody know if I have any other options for a carbon stem with internal routings that might work. Thanks.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Hmmm... did you get the fork with the notch down it’s steertube? Haven’t seen one of those in the whole either.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

scb

by scb

Calnago wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:09 am
Hmmm... did you get the fork with the notch down it’s steertube? Haven’t seen one of those in the whole either.
I’m not sure. I left frame with LBS waiting for groupset etc. I will have LBS take photo tomorrow to send to me.

FWIW, it looks like the Gold Private Ed. C64 disc on the Colnago website has the alloy SR9 stem.

maxice

by maxice

scb wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:57 pm
Just received C64 disc with internal routings along with an alloy SR9 stem. I was expecting the R41 carbon stem with internal routings. Supposedly, Colnago had issues with manufacturor of carbon stem with internal routings and ending up with the alloy SR9 stem. It’s not great looking and kind of clunky and I wanted carbon. Does anybody know if I have any other options for a carbon stem with internal routings that might work. Thanks.
Did you not have to order the R41 stem seperately?

scb

by scb

LBS thought they ordered the R41 and the SR9 showed up 2 days ago.

scb

by scb

scb wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:56 am
LBS thought they ordered the R41 and the SR9 showed up 2 days ago.
Here’s a photo of the SR9 stem on a bike
848B9A34-15C3-49B4-9CE6-CBBF424FB167.jpeg

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I don’t know what the “SR9” is but that looks like a Deda Superzero stem without the logos.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

scb

by scb

Calnago wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:46 am
I don’t know what the “SR9” is but that looks like a Deda Superzero stem without the logos.
Now that I see it on a C64 it doesn’t look that bad, but my primary concern is that usually alloy stems transmit a lot more road buzz than a carbon stem. Don’t know if will work but the FSA Vision Metron 5d looks pretty nice—at least on a Bianchi Xr4.

Seedster

by Seedster

All internally routed c64 disc framesets come with the D-shaped steerer tube to accommodate cable routing. The stem furnished with the frame works just like those found in the BMC teammachines.

You have to be careful to find a stem that will give room for cables to run in the front. I recall manufacturers having different setups for the proprietary stems (some running down the middle and back. I know shimano had one that permitted cabling to go directly through the center of their hollow carbon stem. That may also require their handlebar.

I had the FSA Vision Metron 5d on my Bianchi Xr4. There was a dedicated space in the stem to hide the junction box, but there was no internal routing for hydraulic cables. Bianchi uses a new metron for their xr4 disc but the internal routing may go through the rear of the stem rather than the front. More importantly, the rounded swooping aesthetic doesn’t flow well on the colnago frame. Does the alanera have internal routing?

I’m going to use the colnago stem as it resembles the deda superzero. If an alternative becomes available I’ll pick it up at a later date.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scb

by scb

Seedster wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:31 pm
All internally routed c64 disc framesets come with the D-shaped steerer tube to accommodate cable routing. The stem furnished with the frame works just like those found in the BMC teammachines.

You have to be careful to find a stem that will give room for cables to run in the front. I recall manufacturers having different setups for the proprietary stems (some running down the middle and back. I know shimano had one that permitted cabling to go directly through the center of their hollow carbon stem. That may also require their handlebar.

I had the FSA Vision Metron 5d on my Bianchi Xr4. There was a dedicated space in the stem to hide the junction box, but there was no internal routing for hydraulic cables. Bianchi uses a new metron for their xr4 disc but the internal routing may go through the rear of the stem rather than the front. More importantly, the rounded swooping aesthetic doesn’t flow well on the colnago frame. Does the alanera have internal routing?

I’m going to use the colnago stem as it resembles the deda superzero. If an alternative becomes available I’ll pick it up at a later date.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. After looking at options, I think that I'm just going to stick with the alloy SR9. The fewer the issues the better. And, I will be on look out for a carbon replacement along with maybe doing the EPS 12 speed conversion if there is a way or option to hide interface module.

scb

by scb

Calnago wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:09 am
Yes, LBS sent me a movie that shows the notch. May try to post some photos from the video later.

hannawald

by hannawald

Fabio Aru uses Deda Superzero stem on V3RS.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CDOcvkCnYxA/
I guess Deda Superzero bars leads the cables to inside of the stem and then it goes through the stem directly to the fork. He doesn´t use spacers so hard to say how would it look with original non round spacers..

Can I use round spacers with this setup? Will i need different headset cover? Which one please?

LockheedDK

by LockheedDK

Just finished building my C64 disc and went with the SR-9 option. It is heavy but looks good and will wait for something nice in carbon to turn up. Maybe the integrated Enve handlebar will be my choice.
2009 Pinarello Prince, Campagnolo Super Record 11s, Enve 5.6 SES
2020 Colnago C-64 Disc, Dura Ace Di2, Enve 4.5 AR SES

hannawald

by hannawald

LockheedDK wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:24 am
Just finished building my C64 disc and went with the SR-9 option. It is heavy but looks good and will wait for something nice in carbon to turn up. Maybe the integrated Enve handlebar will be my choice.
Can you please measure for me what is the height of the SR9 stem? It seems quite short to me though the cable guide under the stem makes for it..
And did you get the spacers with the stem or it is a separate purchase? (they are not included with the frameset)

corky

by corky

hannawald wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:24 am
LockheedDK wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:24 am
Can you please measure for me what is the height of the SR9 stem? It seems quite short to me though the cable guide under the stem makes for it..
And did you get the spacers with the stem or it is a separate purchase? (they are not included with the frameset)
I bought a V3RS frameset which came with seatpost, headset, sr-9, topcap and spacers I am in the UK maybe that's the difference?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com