Integrated bar/stem with cable routing through stem?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

refthimos

by refthimos

Are there any integrated bar/stems that route the cables through the stem? It seems like a longshot, but maybe an integrated bar/stem designed to work with a bike that routes cables in front of the steer tube, like many modern aero bikes are doing?

The reason I ask is that it's been reported that the Knot front end on the Cannondale SystemSix weighs 566g in 42/100 - 320g for the bars and 246g for the stem - and I'm curious if there are lighter options. I know you can run a standard stem and bars, but I wouldn't want cables sticking out - that's one of the reasons you buy an aero bike after all. Here is the Knot setup:

It's pretty darn clean, if not "perfect." The cables aren't entirely hidden the way they are, say, on a Madone. But for me, it's quite clean enough, IME with the bike, you really have to look for the cables to see them.

Here is what the ideal integrated bar/stem would look like. You wouldn't want the cables to come out the usual place (i.e. from the base of the bars ) and I've crossed that out in red. Ideally you would want the cables to come out the stem, somewhere in the vicinity of the red circle. Is there anything out there that does this?

EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 (sold) | 6.51kg
EVO4 | build thread coming soon
S5 Disc
SystemSix (sold) | 8.01kg
P5 Disc | heavy but fast

itsacarr

by itsacarr

FSA has their ASR bar coming out soon that should be a clean option for those wanting to stuff some cables and wires.

https://bikerumor.com/2018/12/09/fsa-in ... el-debuts/
Just ride ..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

refthimos

by refthimos

Something like this looks like a pretty interesting option, though I dunno about getting spacers to match the shape of the SystemSix head tube...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/122607901353

EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 (sold) | 6.51kg
S5 Disc
P5 Disc | heavy but fast

refthimos

by refthimos

Just thought I would resurrect this thread, since it seems the trend is now for bikes to hide the cables in front of the head tube. Some bikes, like the Scott Addict RC, have super light integrated bar/stems that keep the cables hidden, while others, like Cannondale, have solutions that are pretty heavy.

Let's say you have a Cannondale and are looking for something lighter but also want to keep the cables as hidden as possible. Other than the Vision Metron 5D/6D, are there any other integrated bar/stems where the cables exit not at the bars near the front of the "stem" but instead closer to the steerer clamp so they can be routed in front of the head tube?
EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 (sold) | 6.51kg
S5 Disc
P5 Disc | heavy but fast

cajer

by cajer

I am going with the venge stem and aero fly 2 bars which is close to what you're looking for.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

I have Venge stem and Aerofly II on Allez Sprint.
Words of warning though, Aerofly II is a nice stiff bar with nothing out of ordinary.

Venge stem is heavy and ultra stiff type of stem (like Zipp SL-Sprint stem). In fact, it weight more than 200g and supposedly even stiffer than Zipp SL-Sprint.
I like their stiffness. But it maybe overkill for most people, especially if you concern about weight. Yeah, right entire fork and steerer tube weight around 400g, and then just the stem weight more than 200g because we like extra stiffness cockpit.

addictR1

by addictR1

Interesting... I like the idea of integrated stem and handlebar combo, but seems those comb weight ends up being heavier than a combo like uno kalloy plus handlebar.

Or is there one that is stiff yet lightweight?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com