*Tour Aero Bike Test 2019*

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Alastair2308

by Alastair2308

So if there is anything I can take away from this. It's that my 2017 Fuji Transonic is still competitive with today's aerobikes. Cause I remember the 2016 aero results had the Transonic at 220 watts with the craptastic Oval wheels. And when set up with the control 404's that brought it down to ~210ish close to the foil etc. And that was a retail off the shelf bike with standard handle bars and miles of cable housing hanging out.

I reckon by my assumption that my Transonic with 50mm Primes+ decent bar (Aeronova LTD) + optimised cables (heatshrinking cables together where I can to reduce exposed cable area) would hypothetically be close to the 208-210 range

I didn't bother with a full integrated bar/stem for my Transonic because I am pretty sure you are ruining the aerodynamics of the bar/stem junction with an out front mounted computer anyway. So mounting my Aeronova to a standard stem made sense to me as the stem is already in dirty air disturbed by my bike computer.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Alastair2308 wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:11 am
So if there is anything I can take away from this. It's that my 2017 Fuji Transonic is still competitive with today's aerobikes. Cause I remember the 2016 aero results had the Transonic at 220 watts with the craptastic Oval wheels. And when set up with the control 404's that brought it down to ~210ish close to the foil etc. And that was a retail off the shelf bike with standard handle bars and miles of cable housing hanging out.

I reckon by my assumption that my Transonic with 50mm Primes+ decent bar (Aeronova LTD) + optimised cables (heatshrinking cables together where I can to reduce exposed cable area) would hypothetically be close to the 208-210 range

I didn't bother with a full integrated bar/stem for my Transonic because I am pretty sure you are ruining the aerodynamics of the bar/stem junction with an out front mounted computer anyway. So mounting my Aeronova to a standard stem made sense to me as the stem is already in dirty air disturbed by my bike computer.

There is of course more to aero bikes than aero performance. Today it took all of 5 seconds for me to notice a dramatic difference between my buddy's Venge vs my Madone. His experience riding my Madone was the same. The Madone is pretty much a Cadillac Escalade. The IsoSpeed works and the handling is deliberate/predictable. The Venge feels more nimble/agile. I was slaloming between botts dots as soon as I got on it because it just felt so right.

I have seen computer mounts that go on top tube "bottle cage" / bento box mounts right behind the stem. That seems a like a fairly ideal place to keep a computer besides underneath the saddle or something like they do in track.

by Weenie

Alastair2308

by Alastair2308

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:40 am
Alastair2308 wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:11 am

There is of course more to aero bikes than aero performance. Today it took all of 5 seconds for me to notice a dramatic difference between my buddy's Venge vs my Madone. His experience riding my Madone was the same. The Madone is pretty much a Cadillac Escalade. The IsoSpeed works and the handling is deliberate/predictable. The Venge feels more nimble/agile. I was slaloming between botts dots as soon as I got on it because it just felt so right.

I have seen computer mounts that go on top tube "bottle cage" / bento box mounts right behind the stem. That seems a like a fairly ideal place to keep a computer besides underneath the saddle or something like they do in track.
You think you could throw a link my way on these new computer mounts? Might be an excuse for me to get something other than my current 3T Arx stem. (And any excuses to buy new bike stuff is good enough for me :lol: )

Yes definitely right about the performance aspect other than aero. I was just that thinking to myself. Because last week I put my Prime RP50'S on my bike. And I ride those at 95psi rear/ 90 front on GP4000 23mm (25mm measured with calipers) with Vredstein Latex tubes. And I kept stopping at the side of the road to check tire pressures because everything just felt so soft and "springy". The bumps were softer, buzz was muted. Then when the race I was riding had come and gone I went back to my training wheels which are Trimax 35 alloys, with Grandsport Race 25's on them (27 measured) and I ride those at 85/80psi on standard butyls, And when riding those wheels I make a conscious effort to try and avoid any bumps or buzz because they just feel so harsh. :-|

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Alastair2308 wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:48 am

You think you could throw a link my way on these new computer mounts? Might be an excuse for me to get something other than my current 3T Arx stem. (And any excuses to buy new bike stuff is good enough for me :lol: ) =

Sorry, I don't remember where I saw those mounts. I'll search later...Basically it was a rail system almost like the ones used on the bottom of some integrated bar/stems, but designed for bikes with top tube bottle cage bosses (TT bikes and gravel bikes sometimes have them.) Very few, if any, road racing bikes do.

Alastair2308

by Alastair2308

Hmm was thinking about it today, considering my position is quite aggresive I doubt I would even be able to read a bike computer behind my stem.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Alastair2308 wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:59 pm
Hmm was thinking about it today, considering my position is quite aggresive I doubt I would even be able to read a bike computer behind my stem.

I almost never look at my computer in situations where being aero matters anyway.

Alastair2308

by Alastair2308

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:00 pm
Alastair2308 wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:59 pm

I almost never look at my computer in situations where being aero matters anyway.
Sometimes I have to at the front of the bunch in a race. Otherwise I get tunnel vision in just pushing and going fast that I blow myself too soon. I need that reminder sometimes that I need to pace myself. :mrgreen: