*Tour Aero Bike Tests*

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ichobi

by ichobi

guyc wrote:
ryanw wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:04 am
guyc wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:56 am
The question people should be asking themselves then - does my riding meet that sort of criteria (and laps around Richmond Park don't count :lol: )?
It does for me. We all have goals in mind. Mine is to do a solo sub 15 minute RP lap. A sub 24:40 RPTT and get up Box Hill under 5:40.

Best I've done on my S5 was 15:31 solo, on my Focus, it was 16:56.

I also think aero bikes look great, which is obviously the most important thing here.
If a Madone gets you over 30 seconds on a 15 min lap then fair enough - I wonder if spending a grand or 2 on a coach/your position would do it for £8/9k less than a Madone though.......playing Devil's Advocate here.

"I also think aero bikes look great, which is obviously the most important thing here." - exactly right. They don't do it for me so much but if I was 20 years younger maybe.
Why not just have both. Why do they have to be mutually exclusive when in reality you can have the best bike, good diet, and a good coach as well. Of course getting just a coach is probably the most economical option but if you dont enjoy riding that bike there is not much point doing pr in the first place.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

guyc

by guyc

They don’t, but they often are.

Case in point. Ex-client of mine. Spent an insane amount of money chasing the lastest upgrades in search of free speed. He eventually sat down with someone who could actually coach him and develop a plan. A year later he was destroying previous times with the same bike and kit.

Look. I get it. We all do it and buy stuff way better than we are and that can win a Grand Tour. The appeal of shiny new kit isn’t lost on me at all! As I said I was playing Devil’s Advocate.

ichobi

by ichobi

Nah not having a dig at you. Agreed that you can get really tunnel vision going down this upgrade craze rabbit hole.

Anyhow, one thing not mention re the new gen of aero bike is that the Venge gets weight advantage from its original spec not only because or a lighter frame but also the Roval wheels are ridiculously light for its depth. Viviani Venge weight 6.9kg pedal included from the gcn video. Of course he was running tubular but thats still impressive.

As for the bar having tried all sorts of aero handle bar including the Madone, Aeroad, Cervelo, Venge, Vision I think Canyon and Specialized make the most ergonomic shape (for my hands). The Venge Aerofly 2 is really really nice. It comes with textured flat top so your hands dont slip easily and the aero edge is not too sharp.

guyc

by guyc

I hear you - what is certain is that there are some spectacularly good bikes out there at the moment.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

The whole weight thing of the new aero disc bikes is obviously an issue in comparison to the last generation of aero rim brake bikes.

Whilst the Madone I demoed was 1kg heavier than my S5, it really didn't feel it. On the climbs, or on the flats, it just felt great.

Saying that, the Venge, being only 300g odd less than the Madone, well it felt light, nimble and sharp. But I suspect a lot of this was down the geo and the short reach of the cockpit.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

guyc

by guyc

So where’s your cash going?

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

guyc wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:10 pm
Call me crazy for not demoing one, but 99% certain I'm going with the S5D. Should be ordering tomorrow...

I loved my S5 so much, it just needed to be a little more compliant, which I hear the new model is.

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

ryanw wrote: Saying that, the Venge, being only 300g odd less than the Madone, well it felt light, nimble and sharp. But I suspect a lot of this was down the geo and the short reach of the cockpit.
In my size, the Venge has 3mm less trail than the Madone which could explain the sensation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Focus Izalco Max - 4.84kg without pedals
Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg
Trek Madone SLR Rim - 7.73kg
Standert Triebwerk Disc - 8.47kg

guyc

by guyc

ryanw wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:12 pm
guyc wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:10 pm
Call me crazy for not demoing one, but 99% certain I'm going with the S5D. Should be ordering tomorrow...

I loved my S5 so much, it just needed to be a little more compliant, which I hear the new model is.
No. I understand that. It’s something you know will work fit-wise and if you’re a fan of a brand that’s a strong factor.

kgt

by kgt

Talking about aero frames and disc brakes...
Tirreno-Adriatico 2019 top five:
1. semi aero frame, rim brakes
2. non aero frame, rim brakes
3. non aero frame, rim brakes
4. non aero frame, rim brakes
5. non aero frame, rim brakes

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

I live in the UK and we have about 4 nice days a year. The rest are grim and wet. Disc brakes are essential for me.

And as previously mentioned, aero bikes look cool.

bespoke

by bespoke

You are a man of your word - I recall you saying you loved your rim S5 and just wanted a disc version.....
Your S5 build was lush; you going stock bike or frame build up?
Warning - Inherently biased:
www.bespokecycling.com

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

bespoke wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:52 pm
You are a man of your word - I recall you saying you loved your rim S5 and just wanted a disc version.....
Buying full Di2 bike but shall be swapping out cranks, rings, OSPW, saddle, tyres, chain, tape etc...

ichobi

by ichobi

kgt wrote:Talking about aero frames and disc brakes...
Tirreno-Adriatico 2019 top five:
1. semi aero frame, rim brakes
2. non aero frame, rim brakes
3. non aero frame, rim brakes
4. non aero frame, rim brakes
5. non aero frame, rim brakes
Dont think anyone of us will be racing World Tour stage races anytime soon though. May be a more relatable comparison is bikes won in single stages and classic races? For sure if I race WT stage race with the chance to win I would be riding the lightest bike possible as to not hinder my chance on the most critical moments (steep climb).

bespoke

by bespoke

ryanw wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:38 pm
bespoke wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:52 pm
Buying full Di2 bike but shall be swapping out cranks, rings, OSPW, saddle, tyres, chain, tape etc...
Best of both worlds then
Warning - Inherently biased:
www.bespokecycling.com

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com