*Tour Aero Bike Tests*

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I think you missed my point. Even if we can’t feel a sub-10% improvement, it is still there. Feeling it doesn’t matter. Our bodies definitely won’t feel a 1% gain, but we’ll gladly take it if the cost isn’t too high.

cyclotripper

by cyclotripper

Want to get an aero bike - but the biggest problem for me is fit - my road bike has 75 degree seat tube and I run a 0 offset seat post. Of the bikes in this test - only the venge can be built up to fit me as they make 2 different seat posts, and make a steep enough frame in my size.

Cervelo has the same seat tube angle on every frame size. This is a disaster. And the company that invented the flip-able seat post doesn't make one.

Ridley and Cannondale - please make some seat post options.

Apart from that - I think aero road bikes should be a bit longer and lower - if the aim is to go faster on the flat - wouldn't it make sense to get the body into a more aero position.

If I bought a complete bike - I'd also want to change the stem - this would mean extra cost but also the need to redo all the hydraulic cable for the brakes. I think most people would be in this situation. Unless your bike shop is super friendly. this is a big problem.

Most of these bikes start at about 6k - and then you have to spend more dollars to adjust the fit. {this makes trek project 1 somewhat tempting, get exactly the parts you want first go}

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

RocketRacing wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:32 am
It is easier to buy speed with cars...
but cheaper with a motorcycle.
Focus Izalco Max - 4.84kg without pedals
Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg
Trek Madone SLR Rim - 7.73kg
Standert Triebwerk Disc - 8.47kg

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

VTR1000SP2 wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:53 am
RocketRacing wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:32 am
It is easier to buy speed with cars...
but cheaper with a motorcycle.
No argument there, Until they kill you. All a risk/reward decision, with different priorities for each person.

I am sure i would love mortorcycles. That is why i stay away. Hahah

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:39 am
I think you missed my point. Even if we can’t feel a sub-10% improvement, it is still there. Feeling it doesn’t matter. Our bodies definitely won’t feel a 1% gain, but we’ll gladly take it if the cost isn’t too high.
I see your point and agree. I just think everyone has a limit for cost/benefit.

I take every marginal gain i can get, balanced with a moderate budget. I enjoy the learning and engineering. A perfect bike is actually kind of boring to me... even if faster. I like the build/research process. I also train as hard as i can with the time/life restrictions i have.

In the end it all just adds up to enjoying riding bikes.

My wife thinks i should be happy with one bike. “You don’t NEED another one.” Nope. But i want another. Hahaha.

Kraaf

by Kraaf

cyclotripper wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:49 am
If I bought a complete bike - I'd also want to change the stem - this would mean extra cost but also the need to redo all the hydraulic cable for the brakes. I think most people would be in this situation. Unless your bike shop is super friendly. this is a big problem.
I think most brands offer some choice in stem length. Canyon isn't known for giving many options to change things, but in fact they allow you to get the bike, try it out and then change the aerocockpit. In Europe at least they're opening up more service centers, but it could be a hassle to get them to do the re-build. I'm guessing there are other brands that make it easier (Trek, Specialized, etc?), but of course it's more hassle than choosing any dimension bar+stem combo from the start. That's the downside of integration.
I love you guys. Seriously.

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

cyclotripper wrote:

Apart from that - I think aero road bikes should be a bit longer and lower - if the aim is to go faster on the flat - wouldn't it make sense to get the body into a more aero position.
Yup. But bike manufacturers are moving from selling racing bikes with raci g geometry to dentists, to adapting racing bikes for both racers and dentists. Thus the move to higher (more comfortable, and more ideal for the average dentist) front ends.

Grobar

by Grobar

RocketRacing wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:13 am
cyclotripper wrote:

Yup. But bike manufacturers are moving from selling racing bikes with raci g geometry to dentists, to adapting racing bikes for both racers and dentists. Thus the move to higher (more comfortable, and more ideal for the average dentist) front ends.
Yes and they are right in buisiness logic. Actually I never seen a tiler with a high end bike even if he is racing. We, rich people, deserve the best bikes for us as we pay more. Long live capitalism :lol:

ichobi

by ichobi

So long as the pro can be fitted to the bike and perform well and us mortals can enjoy the pro set up (or sometimes even better) everybody wins. No other wheeled sports allow you to live the fantasy of using highest level gear in a relatively affordable manner (think f1). Trek accepts this and stop making the H1. The more people can ride the better right? Dentist or not everyone has the right to enjoy their bicycle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Last edited by ichobi on Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IchDien

by IchDien

ichobi wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:01 pm
No other wheeled sports allow you to live the fantasy of using highest level gear in a relatively affordable manner

:lol:

edit: though for €700 (!) I don't see myself becoming a passionate roller blader
Last edited by IchDien on Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IchDien

by IchDien

dp

ichobi

by ichobi

You got me there lol.

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

ichobi wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:01 pm
So long as the pro can be fitted to the bike and perform well and us mortals can enjoy the pro set up (or sometimes even better) everybody wins. No other wheeled sports allow you to live the fantasy of using highest level gear in a relatively affordable manner (think f1). Trek accepts this and stop making the H1. The more people can ride the better right? Dentist or not everyone has the right to enjoy their bicycle.

I am not sure dentists should be allowed. Maybe we keep it to doctors and successful small busisness owners for now. Maybe we keep dentists to high end roller blading for now... as i am just not in a place to allow dentists to enjoy biking just yet.

Seriously though, the move from “ride what the pros ride” to “pros riding what you ride” is a logical, and interesting change in the high end bike market. In north america, one theory is that the fall of lance resulted in a drop in “i want a bike just like his.” Less dentists buying 15k race bikes and race kit as their entry into the sport.

I think it is more a response to an aging demographic, and expanding to more of a one size suits all concept. Needed given how many bike models/niches have arrived. The trek h1/h2 model would never fly for most mid to small companies.

And the “riding a pro setup” has and always will be a bit shady. Sagan on the aluminum allez sprint for a pre qualifying crit coming up is an example. Pure “you too can ride the same bike as sagan!” for the rest of us. I think everyone sponsored by specialized this year also needs to ride disc brakes... but don’t quote me on that. So it is a bit of a cart leading the horse scenario. And that is fine, they need to market and sell bikes.

And in regards to cost and f1, agreed bikes are cheaper. Post injury i have transitioned from racing cars to bikes. Much cheaper than cars, by a factor of 10... but man I have spent a lot on bikes. The more i spend on a bike, the less i seem to get. Hahaha. My current build is only 13lbs!!!

Getting into biking really opened my eyes to how much bikes really are. Buy a car or buy a bike. Holy crap!

Marin

by Marin

RocketRacing wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:54 pm
by a factor of 10...
More like a factor of 100. You can easily win a bike race on a 1500€ bike, against people on 15000$ bikes. Try that ratio with a hill climb or circuit car... :D
Last edited by Marin on Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

Marin wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:09 am
RocketRacing wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:54 pm
by a factor of 10...
T
More like a factor of 100. You can easily win a bike race on a 1500€ bike, against people on 15000$ bikes. Try that ratio with a hill climb or circuit car... :D
Disagree. Depends on your level of competition of course, or the track. Our local track is pretty twisty (no real straights) so it is harder to buy speed, and grip is king. Lots of locals do really well in lightweight, low powered cars, often home built. And for the cost of a p5x, a properly set up tube frame car with a big v8 will be as fast as anything out there on just about any track.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com