*Tour Aero Bike Tests*

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

GaBa

by GaBa

I am also interested about this since Foil is one of the bikes I might be interested in.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I also wonder is the one piece seatpost require the same level of maint. as the 3 piece. Might be a good option to save on hassle and drop weight.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

dalex wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:22 pm
Worth noting that some manufacturers, like Cervelo, aim to minimize the air resistance of the bike + rider package, rather that of the bike on its own. Since the Tour test dummy does not have a torso or arms, it is possible that a bike optimized in this way will not give the best result in a Tour test...
The lower half is where a large majority of interactions take place

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

BigBoyND wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:42 am
dalex wrote:
Worth noting that some manufacturers, like Cervelo, aim to minimize the air resistance of the bike + rider package, rather that of the bike on its own. Since the Tour test dummy does not have a torso or arms, it is possible that a bike optimized in this way will not give the best result in a Tour test...
yeah but if we believe mfgs like "trek" the new madone for example seemed optimized for the top half.. ie claiming ~half the aero gains are rider position.

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

That's nothing new but what does position (fit) have to do with frame design? Fit is an independent process. It's like saying they dropped system weight by 1kg by putting the rider on a diet. Lol

And it doesn't change the fact that most of the interactions with the bike come from the lower body.

robeambro

by robeambro

spdntrxi wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 3:03 pm
BigBoyND wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:42 am
dalex wrote:
yeah but if we believe mfgs like "trek" the new madone for example seemed optimized for the top half.. ie claiming ~half the aero gains are rider position.
Trek did not say "half the aero gains in general come from rider position". They said, we made a Madone that is 18w faster, and of those 18w, half of the improvement has come from an improvement in rider position.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

:roll: ^ yeah ok

mrbrown4001

by mrbrown4001

Any data on the latest Merida reacto?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

warickwrx

by warickwrx

mrbrown4001 wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:45 am

"Merida says the new Reacto requires 209W to sustain the 45km/h pace"

PeytonM

by PeytonM

mrbrown4001 wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:45 am

I have the Reacto and it’s a great bike. Really happy with it.

I believe it’s 209watts with 28mm tyres on vision 55mm wheels and 208w with 25mm on same wheels.

OUGrad05

by OUGrad05

GaBa wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:35 pm
I am also interested about this since Foil is one of the bikes I might be interested in.
Local shop had a 2022 RC20 in my size (61) which is super hard to find. I rode it, liked it...a lot. So I bought it. Beware though that any stem/bar changes are NOT included on these aero bikes it's a pay for change and most of them are backordered right now. Not the end of the world but definitely in the "annoying" bucket TBH.

The pro's though? I'm coming from a 2017 Specialized Roubaix and no joke the Foil rides better. It's both more sporty, it handles better, or at least feels like it does, it's more responsive and it's quite a bit MORE comfortable. I took it on its first real ride today in the cold/rain. It's quieter, absorbs small and midsize bumps better (I didn't hit any big bumps today). It absorbs road chatter/buzz MUCH better. This, to me was stunning. I fully expect the roubaix to be more comfortable and expected a "break in" period of getting used to a rougher ride. That's simply not going to be the case, this is a better bike I think???

Also my first experience with electronic shifting, it's amazing.

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

BigBoyND wrote:
dalex wrote:
Have not read entire thread but can you elaborate on this statement? The "lower half" is where the majority of aero gains take place, or the "lower half" is where the majority of a riders interactions with the bike are?

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk

Never cheer before you know who is winning

CAAD8FRED

by CAAD8FRED

wheelbuilder wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:53 am
BigBoyND wrote:
dalex wrote:
Have not read entire thread but can you elaborate on this statement? The "lower half" is where the majority of aero gains take place, or the "lower half" is where the majority of a riders interactions with the bike are?

The lower half, torso and below, are where a majority of interactions of air take place between the bike and rider. Above the torso, air is mainly impacting the body. Below the torso, air is impacting the pedalling legs, the frame, and a mix of legs and frame.

HBike

by HBike

CAAD8FRED wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:58 am
wheelbuilder wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:53 am
BigBoyND wrote:
dalex wrote:

The lower half, torso and below, are where a majority of interactions of air take place between the bike and rider. Above the torso, air is mainly impacting the body. Below the torso, air is impacting the pedalling legs, the frame, and a mix of legs and frame.
Depends on how you define lower half. Simulations and measurements I have seen have approximately a 50/50 distribution regarding drag from saddle down/upwards - strongly depending on rider position (stack/reach/hood or drop position, time trial bike ...).
The body alone contributes approx. 70%.

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

Yeah and we're talking about a fixed position here. For a fixed stack/reach/position, the upper body will not create much additional interaction with the bike when you swap between bikes. If bike X is 5W faster than bike Y with half of a dummy, it is likely close to 5W faster with a full dummy. I'd refer to the 80/20 rule if this wasn't more like 95/5. Lol

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com