*Tour Aero Bike Tests*

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

alanyu

by alanyu

jfranci3 wrote:
Sun Oct 23, 2022 1:58 am
gzon wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:12 pm
joss wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:33 am
How much watt difference would be from a "classic" round tube road bike (something like an aethos or TI bikes)) compared to an up-to-date aero bike?
About 30w using the Tour Magazine test protocol.
You're smoking crack.
1) an Aethos and a Classic round tube bike measure differently. A good classic bike will perform better than a modern AL or CF round tube bike because the tubes are half the size. Specialized has a YouTube vid of this.
2) worst case round tube bike with all the wrong parts on a modern bike was about 239w on their test. All the right parts on the wrong frame put those bikes around 224w in Tours test. All the best parts was about 202w. Aero handle bars are about 5-8w and the wheels are around 10w. Clean cable routing (vs OEM excessive lengths) is probably 2-3w. At best you're looking at 20w, but most aero road bikes are around 210w. 10w is more realistic.
3) None of those bikes ever has a water bottle on them. Aside from the bike-specific aero bottles, which are kind of useless realistically, the water bottle will affect the aero bike a lot more than the round tube bike.
4) it depends on the frame size. Aero frames dont matter as much for smaller people.
Point 3 is not true. Nowadays the downtube of most areo bikes has moved away from slim teardrop design. Instead, it is oversized and kamn tail designed to optimized for bottles (even round ones). They are far better than slim round tube classis bikes.

Back in 2014(?), Giant Propel was the first areo bike designed with round bottles. Look how they chose the shape for bottles. There is a video (I forget the name) about it comparing Propel, Venge, Madone, etc w/ and w/o round bottles. Propel is not the fastest w/o bottles, but the fastest w/ bottles, adding no more than 5 Watts IIRC.

I also disagree with your last point. I'm a small and slim guy (170 cm, 55 kg, size 52). Areo frame matters. Aero drag is already small on small body, and the percentage of the frame drag is arguably larger, at least not smaller.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

OUGrad05

by OUGrad05

Guys my local Scott dealer has a 2022 Foil RC20 in stock in size 61 with Rival eTap. They are also trying to figure out availability on the 2023 models, but so far looking like July.
I'm tempted to get this 2022 next week when I'm back in town. Can anyone post the tour mag test results for the 2022 Foil and the 2023 Foil so I can compare them? I'm pretty sure they've both been tested. I have 210 stuck in my head on the 2022 and 206 for 2023 but I'm not 100% sure and can't remember how they rated on comfort.

Same dealer can get a System Six in my size but I recall that one not being very well rated on comfort.

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

OUGrad05 wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 2:56 am
Guys my local Scott dealer has a 2022 Foil RC20 in stock in size 61 with Rival eTap. They are also trying to figure out availability on the 2023 models, but so far looking like July.
I'm tempted to get this 2022 next week when I'm back in town. Can anyone post the tour mag test results for the 2022 Foil and the 2023 Foil so I can compare them? I'm pretty sure they've both been tested. I have 210 stuck in my head on the 2022 and 206 for 2023 but I'm not 100% sure and can't remember how they rated on comfort.

Same dealer can get a System Six in my size but I recall that one not being very well rated on comfort.
From my faulty memory banks: The 2nd-gen F01L rim brake was pretty darn aero for the time. The same 2nd-gen FOIL with disc brakes was a bit less aero and the competitive set got better.

Suspect the brand new 2023 FOIL is very good again, but we'll see what the Tour Tests say...

Be aware the geometry of the 2023 FOIL has been tweaked from the 2022 version. (The prev-gen Addict (2016/17-2019?) and contemporaneous prev-gen FOIL had matching geometry. The geometry for the current Addict RC w/integrated cables (2020?-current) has been tweaked and the brand new 2023 FOIL matches it. And not to be outdone, the current Addict RC is the racier version of the Addict nee Solace.)

OUGrad05

by OUGrad05

Johnny Rad wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 1:32 am
OUGrad05 wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 2:56 am

From my faulty memory banks: The 2nd-gen F01L rim brake was pretty darn aero for the time. The same 2nd-gen FOIL with disc brakes was a bit less aero and the competitive set got better.

Suspect the brand new 2023 FOIL is very good again, but we'll see what the Tour Tests say...

Be aware the geometry of the 2023 FOIL has been tweaked from the 2022 version. (The prev-gen Addict (2016/17-2019?) and contemporaneous prev-gen FOIL had matching geometry. The geometry for the current Addict RC w/integrated cables (2020?-current) has been tweaked and the brand new 2023 FOIL matches it. And not to be outdone, the current Addict RC is the racier version of the Addict nee Solace.)
Thanks. I'd be shocked if the new foil was less aero then the 2022. But the 2022 wasn't "slow". The new one looks a bit better but has some compromises, like servicing the seat post every 600 miles. That means I'm taking it apart every month for 4 or 5 months which doesn't sound fun. Not to mention we aren't sure when I"ll be able to secure one in my size.

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

jfranci3 wrote:
Sun Oct 23, 2022 1:58 am
gzon wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:12 pm
joss wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:33 am
How much watt difference would be from a "classic" round tube road bike (something like an aethos or TI bikes)) compared to an up-to-date aero bike?
About 30w using the Tour Magazine test protocol.
You're smoking crack.
1) an Aethos and a Classic round tube bike measure differently. A good classic bike will perform better than a modern AL or CF round tube bike because the tubes are half the size. Specialized has a YouTube vid of this.
2) worst case round tube bike with all the wrong parts on a modern bike was about 239w on their test. All the right parts on the wrong frame put those bikes around 224w in Tours test. All the best parts was about 202w. Aero handle bars are about 5-8w and the wheels are around 10w. Clean cable routing (vs OEM excessive lengths) is probably 2-3w. At best you're looking at 20w, but most aero road bikes are around 210w. 10w is more realistic.
3) None of those bikes ever has a water bottle on them. Aside from the bike-specific aero bottles, which are kind of useless realistically, the water bottle will affect the aero bike a lot more than the round tube bike.
4) it depends on the frame size. Aero frames dont matter as much for smaller people.
Shape is much more important than size of the tubes.
A round shape is significantly slower than a tear drop, even when the tear drop is much bigger.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

Steve Curtis
Location: Hampshire UK, Dublin Ireland and Geneva Switzerland.

by Steve Curtis

The new foil is 206 watts of power at 45 km/h
Just go to the Tour site and use google chrome. It will translate everything to English.

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

Steve Curtis wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:08 pm
Just go to the Tour site and use google chrome. It will translate everything to English.
Which is... OK, but does not set the world on fire by any means. Canyon was 202, IIRC (albeit tested with what are likely faster wheels), and Cervelo S5 is faster as well.

HBike

by HBike

aeroisnteverything wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:14 pm
Steve Curtis wrote:
Which is... OK, but does not set the world on fire by any means. Canyon was 202, IIRC (albeit tested with what are likely faster wheels), and Cervelo S5 is faster as well.
S5 with 205 Watt. Include error margin and there is hardly any difference (something people don't pay attention to). Additionally, did they use equal wheels, tires, tire widths, ...? Do both weigh the same? People here post weird things. Calling 206W just "ok" is strange, in my opinion. Roman Bardet used the new Foil on flat and mountainous terrain.

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

HBike wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 10:45 pm
Steve Curtis wrote:
S5 with 205 Watt. Include error margin and there is hardly any difference (something people don't pay attention to). Additionally, did they use equal wheels, tires, tire widths, ...? Do both weigh the same? People here post weird things. Calling 206W just "ok" is strange, in my opinion. Roman Bardet used the new Foil on flat and mountainous terrain.
Old S5, remember, and on slow wheels. If I remember correctly, the S5 was equal to the Cannondale on equivalent 404 wheels.

Foil is lighter than S5 I believe, but more expensive and seems like with far more annoying maintenance requirements. That seatpost adjustment can't be real. 600 miles? I'd have to mess with it every 3 weeks? Yikes.

As far as the aero game goes, what the pros use is not indicative of ability, it's simply what they have available and what they individually prefer. For over a decade people were riding round tube bikes even though things like the Soloist existed

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

agreed 600mi is far too often.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

HBike

by HBike

justkeepedaling wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:12 pm
HBike wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 10:45 pm
Steve Curtis wrote:
Old S5, remember, and on slow wheels. If I remember correctly, the S5 was equal to the Cannondale on equivalent 404 wheels.

Foil is lighter than S5 I believe, but more expensive and seems like with far more annoying maintenance requirements. That seatpost adjustment can't be real. 600 miles? I'd have to mess with it every 3 weeks? Yikes.

As far as the aero game goes, what the pros use is not indicative of ability, it's simply what they have available and what they individually prefer. For over a decade people were riding round tube bikes even though things like the Soloist existed
With new test protocol? Why didn't you cite the new 5 with disc brakes, to compare like to like? Because it didn't suit your prejudice?
What do round tubes have to do with this, things have changed? I think you don't know what you are talking about.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Just give me the aero bike with the nicest paint and something like 395mm reach and 540mm stack.

cajer

by cajer

IIRC the system 6 test also used 23mm tires vs 25mm on the S5 disc, and the knot 64 wheels on the cannondale are 2W+ faster than the 404's. So the S5 disc should be 4ish W faster than the system 6

Andrew69

by Andrew69

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:40 am
Just give me the aero bike with the nicest paint and something like 395mm reach and 540mm stack.
Try not to make it a nightmare to work on and I will take one as well

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Andrew69 wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 2:27 am
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:40 am
Try not to make it a nightmare to work on and I will take one as well

Also.

BB86 is a hard no from me, so both the Foil and Aeroad are out. I mean I could live with using a DUB spindle with BB86, but I'm "morally" opposed to brands continuing to spec BB86 shells on new frames. BB386Evo or T47 or BBGTFO.

Extremely limited bar rotation is also a no after living with the Madone SLR for 3 years.
Last edited by TobinHatesYou on Sun Nov 13, 2022 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.