*Tour Aero Bike Tests*

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dalex

by dalex

aeroisnteverything wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:00 pm
I just expect more progress given the relaxed aero rules. At the moment, based on Tour tests, the most aero efficient frames are, I believe, Canyon, Cervelo S5 and Cannondale. None of which were designed to take advantage of the new rules allowances for deeper tube profiles. So it's just a bit disappointing to see a shiny new thing come out from Scott, and have it perform at the same level as the bikes from 3-4 years ago, especially given the price tag.
As far as I know, the current "record breaker" in the Tour tests is the Simplon Pride II (202 W). As others have written, the latest generation S5 is yet to be tested by Tour magazine. Worth noting that some manufacturers, like Cervelo, aim to minimize the air resistance of the bike + rider package, rather that of the bike on its own. Since the Tour test dummy does not have a torso or arms, it is possible that a bike optimized in this way will not give the best result in a Tour test...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mrbrown4001

by mrbrown4001

Questions for the English speakers who have subscribed to the magazine. If I were to purchase a three issue digital subscription how would I be able to read it in English? Also, would I have access to all of the testing that the magazine has every done? I mean would I have access to all the testing results for every single bike they have ever done or would it just be the latest or something else? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OUGrad05

by OUGrad05

Mr.Gib wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:09 am
OUGrad05 wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 4:58 pm
The new one looks a bit better but has some compromises, like servicing the seat post every 600 miles.
Is this real? Is this what it's come to? Even 300 miles a week is pretty ordinary mileage. So a two week service interval?
Show me a bike that requires the seatpost to be "serviced" every 600 miles and I'll show you someone who doesn't know how to design a bike. FFS a good wax job on a chain can lost longer than that. I've had tires that could go longer without adding air. Hell, my creepy brother had a pet boa constrictor that we didn't feed that often. Sorry Scott, IMO that is pretty sad.
Yea it's real. I guess it could squeak and rattle if the silicon grease dries out.

Kevin7767

by Kevin7767

Mr.Gib wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:09 am
OUGrad05 wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 4:58 pm
The new one looks a bit better but has some compromises, like servicing the seat post every 600 miles.
Is this real? Is this what it's come to? Even 300 miles a week is pretty ordinary mileage. So a two week service interval?
Show me a bike that requires the seatpost to be "serviced" every 600 miles and I'll show you someone who doesn't know how to design a bike. FFS a good wax job on a chain can lost longer than that. I've had tires that could go longer without adding air. Hell, my creepy brother had a pet boa constrictor that we didn't feed that often. Sorry Scott, IMO that is pretty sad.
15,600 miles per year is ordinary mileage? I don't disagree with you that servicing a seatpost (what does that even mean?) every 600 miles is ridiculous, but the mileage you're quoting is very high.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

it's high, but I know some people above 12k right now
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

Lina

by Lina

It's high but nothing unheard of. Active rider in a place with 12 month riding season can easily get there.

OUGrad05

by OUGrad05

Lina wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:40 am
It's high but nothing unheard of. Active rider in a place with 12 month riding season can easily get there.
He said "pretty ordinary" mileage, thats the reason for the comments.

Singular

by Singular

How I love WW - where everyone rides 15600 miles per year, has an FTP over 5W/kg and still thinks it is completely unreasonable to test racing bikes at 45kph because "noone rides that fast".

Steve Curtis
Location: Hampshire UK, Dublin Ireland and Geneva Switzerland.

by Steve Curtis

Singular wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:40 am
How I love WW - where everyone rides 15600 miles per year, has an FTP over 5W/kg and still thinks it is completely unreasonable to test racing bikes at 45kph because "noone rides that fast".
🤣 and 90% of members are engineers, who are known to be super active and non argumentative 🤔

It's a very interesting demographic.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

15000mi/year is likely more common than some realize, but it’s also not even remotely close to “pretty ordinary.”

Singular

by Singular

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:35 am
15000mi/year is likely more common than some realize, but it’s also not even remotely close to “pretty ordinary.”
(It's two-three hours of cruising a day, everyday - so nowhere near impossible.)

HBike

by HBike

Lina wrote:
Easily?

A mobility analysis in Germany I read cites a _mean_ riding distance of 3.8km a day (including E-bikes, Pedellecs).
so 24000km is several standard deviations away from that.

If you only compare enthusiasts, that might be different. But those are not ordinary people with ordinary cycling habits. A German racing-bike magazine had a poll where the results showed that 4.2% had 14000km or more and 1.9% 16000km or more a year (assuming people were honest) and only very few going above 20000km.

A pro spends about 1000 to 1350 h a year in the saddle. If you assume an average speed of around 30 - 35km/h that means that those people spend about half the time in the saddle than what a pro does. That amounts to a lot of time spend cycling, all that besides work, family stuff, seasons, ...

Not ordinary.

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

I train 6 days a week but have a family and full time job. On a good year I do 7500 miles and a bad 6500 miles. This is considered above average! I would love to do 15000 miles but that is far above average
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount

Lina

by Lina

HBike wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:52 am
Lina wrote:
Easily?

A mobility analysis in Germany I read cites a _mean_ riding distance of 3.8km a day (including E-bikes, Pedellecs).
so 24000km is several standard deviations away from that.

If you only compare enthusiasts, that might be different. But those are not ordinary people with ordinary cycling habits. A German racing-bike magazine had a poll where the results showed that 4.2% had 14000km or more and 1.9% 16000km or more a year (assuming people were honest) and only very few going above 20000km.

A pro spends about 1000 to 1350 h a year in the saddle. If you assume an average speed of around 30 - 35km/h that means that those people spend about half the time in the saddle than what a pro does. That amounts to a lot of time spend cycling, all that besides work, family stuff, seasons, ...

Not ordinary.
And I said it's high but not unheard of. And bringing in all cyclists is pretty irrelevant, it's obvious that with those numbers we're talking about people that actively train.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

What are you supposed to do a seatpost service at exactly, talking Foil 2023?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com