*Tour Aero Bike Tests*

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

rides4beer

by rides4beer

Really hope they test the Ribble Ultra SLR, looking forward to seeing how it compares.

RDY

by RDY

StiffWeenies wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:13 pm
FlatlandClimber wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:48 am

It may be the fastest bike, but man is the Storck ugly.
Interesting how a rebranded Pardus Spark EVO with a revised fork is among the world beaters in this test
Think it placed about 6th in another German mag (which had a much bigger gap from the Pride 2 to 2nd, and even bigger gap after the 2nd place SystemSix). But the Pardus Spark EVO, with or without a deep bladed fork, is always going to be fast in practice despite the mostly non-aero profile tubing and lack of frame infill. It's so low and pretty long.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cberg

by cberg

RDY wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:00 pm
StiffWeenies wrote:
FlatlandClimber wrote:

Interesting how a rebranded Pardus Spark EVO with a revised fork is among the world beaters in this test
Think it placed about 6th in another German mag (which had a much bigger gap from the Pride 2 to 2nd, and even bigger gap after the 2nd place SystemSix). But the Pardus Spark EVO, with or without a deep bladed fork, is always going to be fast in practice despite the mostly non-aero profile tubing and lack of frame infill. It's so low and pretty long.
Idk how much of a difference it makes, but it might also benefit from being tested in a 1x setup with how tight the margins are at the top

Lina

by Lina

StiffWeenies wrote:
FlatlandClimber wrote:

Fork is one of the places on the bike that hits clean air.

tjurij

by tjurij

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:08 pm
Most recent issue 2/22 - these are the fastest bikes tested. Only 2 bikes they tested were Simplon and Storck in this issue.
What is the weight for these two....they must be heavy.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

tjurij wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:30 am
FlatlandClimber wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:08 pm
Most recent issue 2/22 - these are the fastest bikes tested. Only 2 bikes they tested were Simplon and Storck in this issue.
What is the weight for these two....they must be heavy.

The Aeroad CFR is one of the lightest aero bikes on the market and right up there with the Simplon and Storck. Also this is somewhat amusing because the Storck is a rebadged Taishan Sports frame, though coupled with specially made, super bladed fork.

mgrl

by mgrl

1x gains are in the ballpark of 3W

RDY

by RDY

In the real world the Storck / Pardus might be the fastest of all, simply because stack is so low. The large is 400 reach and 538 stack. Medium is 390 reach and 522 stack. I can't think of a lower modern race bike. Need to be flexible though.

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

RDY wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:57 am
In the real world the Storck / Pardus might be the fastest of all, simply because stack is so low. The large is 400 reach and 538 stack. Medium is 390 reach and 522 stack. I can't think of a lower modern race bike. Need to be flexible though.
Lower stack makes you faster?
I don't adapt my position on the bike based on the frame. A frame should allow you to get in the right position, not in the lowest and longest possible. If the the latter was the case just get a 200mm -45 Degree stem...
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

cberg

by cberg

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:24 pm
RDY wrote:
I don't adapt my position on the bike based on the frame. A frame should allow you to get in the right position, not in the lowest and longest possible. If the the latter was the case just get a 200mm -45 Degree stem...
I agree, it might offer the lowest possible CdA, but by using an extreme position which will likely harm your power/CdA which is what you really want to optimize

mikemelbrooks

by mikemelbrooks

I am not sure how they tested the bikes, I thought it was with a half dummy? Was it in a standardized position? was it the top or bottom half of a dummy if they didnt use a standard bar width, stack and reach I cant see it was very fair. Its like comparing the weight of a tiny frame from one manufacturer to a large frame from another.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

All other things being equal, isn't a testing a lower bike just like testing a smaller bike? So sure lower wins. But is there a gain if the rider assume the identical position as they would on a taller bike? You trade headtube length of more arm exposed to the wind.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

RDY

by RDY

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:24 pm
RDY wrote:
If you'd bothered reading to the end "need to be flexible though". If you can efficiently ride on that geo, then your frontal area will be tiny compared to say a Madone or SystemSix; which makes a much bigger difference than any amount of aero tubing.

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

I have read that and still disagree.
Your statement is only true if your fastest possible fit (biomechanical + aerodynamics) cannot be achieved with other race frames. In this case, you usually make up for this with longer negative stems or you size down. That doesn't always work (for example in very long legged rider, who needs very low on the front), but works for the vast majority of people, including world tour pros.

The fastest position, even for a flexible rider, is not just determined by the stack and reach of a frame being low.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mikemelbrooks

by mikemelbrooks

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:27 pm
I have read that and still disagree.
Your statement is only true if your fastest possible fit (biomechanical + aerodynamics) cannot be achieved with other race frames. In this case, you usually make up for this with longer negative stems or you size down. That doesn't always work (for example in very long legged rider, who needs very low on the front), but works for the vast majority of people, including world tour pros.

The fastest position, even for a flexible rider, is not just determined by the stack and reach of a frame being low.
Your correct, But the aero test isn't measuring the fastest bike it's measuring which frame has the lowest drag in a wind tunnel with half a dummy on it. You could put 340mm handle bars on one of the test bikes and immediately gain a few places.