*Tour Aero Bike Tests*

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

10w?!? The salesman said it was worth at least 15w at 10 degrees yaw!!

I have gloves coming also, and shoes. I had no idea, but when looking for an aerohead... saw the design, and realized that giro did a whole line in “dazzle” a year or two ago. So i found and ordered each part of the kit from random online bike stores all over the world.

Now i get tons of junk mail from austrailia, uk, taiwan, and who knows where else. Pretty sure my email was sold to marketers a few times as i jeep getting offers on hair products.
Js2 wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:37 pm
RocketRacing wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:03 pm
Speaking of aerodynamics, I got tired waiting for the official felt realease of the next ar (not available till nov-dec anyway, and i am in canada so it would be April till i could ride it), so i bought by dream bike. I figure if you plan to go aero, you need to do it properly. Balances well with my 13lbs climbing bike (felt f series). I have been terrorizing local strava segments ever since as i train for tt efforts. Holding 45k/hr+ is now not such a big deal.

3B6F35D7-EE80-4018-A1BA-BE6AFDE39893.jpeg

1812091E-D2E2-4AA4-897C-4F1A41B125E6.jpeg

24A47786-DB0D-4340-ACBC-84BB61393531.jpeg
Your jersey/ helmet/ bike matchy2 game is on point :thumbup: 10 watts saved right there, just for having matching stripes LOL :beerchug:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

Noctiluxx wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:55 pm
I just ordered the clip on bars similar to the Madone Speed for my Madone SLR. Just out of curiousity, how close would my Madone SLR (rim brake) with Bontrager XXX-6 wheels come to a full Tri/TT bike with similar wheels?
It all depends on what position you can attain. Cycling weekly did a video reciently on this and an aero bike set up properly with aero bars pretty much matched a tt bike. Now, it depends on the bike, but in identical positions... they should be in the margin of error. But the (front end) adjustability of a TT bike is more likely to get you in a proper position vs aero road bike.

I forget how adjustable the bars and aerobars are for the madone... but I will hazzard that your options are limited. Proper aerobar height is key for keepign you aerodynamic. Proper pad reach and width is key also, as is aerobar length and tilt. If your fitment options are literally a few bolts in the pads, and stem lengths... you are most likely to be in a compromised position in a road bike with aero bars... and an optimized position on a tt bike will crush a sub-optimal position on an aero road bike as we all know 70+% of aero is the rider. That is the problem with proprietary aero bars. At least with older round bars, companies like profile design could provide you with clip ons with prettly solid adjustability.

The difference between aero road with clip ons and a tt bike is also around the economy of your riding. My tri bike is new to me, but with the more vertical seattube, and forward saddle, AND MOST IMPORTANTLY: AN ALMOST INFINATLY ADJUSTABLE FRONT END, I am in a very aerodynamic position... and I am putting out personal best power numbers.

UCI is the limiter for tt bikes and road bikes. A zero offset saddle can help however (I use one). As can an ISM style saddle as it helps you be comfortable in the aero position (warning, my ism saddle alone weighs almost half as much as my road bike... but it is magic in an aero position). Finally, shorter cranks allow for better mechanics in a low aero position. My size 51 road bike has 170mm cranks. My 51 tri bike has 165. Given how agressive I ride low/aero with my road bike, I am now seriously considerign going with 165mm cranks on that too.

If you look at my felt IA above:
- airfoils on the frame - ILLEGAL (break the 3:1 rule but is more efficient)
- saddle position - ILLEGAL (allows me to put down huge power comfortable in a very aero position)
- Aero bars - ILLEGAL (too long, but they alow me to get long and low to minimize what the wind sees)
- Aero bar tilt - ILLEGAL ( a mantis position of sorts... which has proven to be faster for many riders)

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

Imaking20 wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:28 am

I'll have to give this a listen. I seem to recall pretty much every other source putting those items a bit further apart as far as magnitude of impact. Mainly, tight fitting kit making a lot more difference than wheels, and wheels having more like twice the savings compared to frame. Unfortunately for those in the business of selling speed, that order is exactly inverse of what costs the most. :smartass:

And yeah, unfortunately little information out there about the effect of tidy bar and stem - although it's largely attributable for the savings across the board the last couple years. Just wish there was some testing to isolate those changes!
Hidden cables in the front end is about 2-3W I understand. I forget the speed.

The video from the swissside dude basically said frame and wheels were both about 8% of aero (each) for the rider/bike system... for tt. So for road, it is probably more like 6% each given that the rider position is a bigger piece of the entire aero picture. Aero is all about getting the rider in the right position., so clothes are huge.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Imaking20 wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:28 am
Holy balls it's ironic reading tobin telling anyone to grow up.

As much as you hate my views, I rarely attack someone’s character or initiate discourse.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

If that last part is true, it's because your style is more akin to the "IM NOT TOUCHING YOU, IM NOT TOUCHING YOU!" approach. I never said anything about "hate," all I'm saying is I can understand how someone would get a little worn thin by the belligerence.

cveks

by cveks

so newer model bikes are not faster than old ones.

Cycling industry dont know what else have to offer to us consumers. No real benefits buying new 2019 bike.

No any benefit using disc brakes than rim brakes.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I think their test is not all that repeatable enough to conclude that.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

Beaver

by Beaver

https://www.tour-magazin.de/raeder/renn ... 48657.html

Now the Storck is faster than the Madone. ;)

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

Beaver wrote:https://www.tour-magazin.de/raeder/renn ... 48657.html

Aero cockpit for the win?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Focus Izalco Max - 4.84kg without pedals
Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg
Trek Madone SLR Rim - 7.73kg
Standert Triebwerk Disc - 8.47kg

CAAD8FRED

by CAAD8FRED

Anyone want to post the results. Want to see how the Aeroad and SL6 performed

Reno

by Reno

VTR1000SP2 wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:56 pm
Beaver wrote:https://www.tour-magazin.de/raeder/renn ... 48657.html

Aero cockpit for the win?

I think it has something to do with the bowed fork legs...

mrlobber

by mrlobber

As noted many times earlier, German bikes are always somehow faster on German soil / air ;)
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

AJS914

by AJS914

Why do they test the bottom tier Madonne without an aero cockpit?

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

AJS914 wrote:Why do they test the bottom tier Madonne without an aero cockpit?
Not sure but it feels like this test was about the bikes people are buying more frequently

Focus Izalco Max - 4.84kg without pedals
Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg
Trek Madone SLR Rim - 7.73kg
Standert Triebwerk Disc - 8.47kg

jfranci3

by jfranci3

(Cleared)
Last edited by jfranci3 on Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com