Custom titanium build...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

none

by none

For slacker seat angle, that can easily be compensated with setback seatpost or combine with saddle rail adjustment.
Toptube requirement of being horizontal to ground level, that's pretty ordinary in stock frame size, too... even used older frames.

I've been riding titanium frames since 1996, other frame materials before and during all these years, too.
I started with an early 90's Merlin Extralight, next an Ibis Ti Road, a Sandvic, Bianchi Megatube, Merlin XLM Compact, Litespeed Tuscany, 96 Litespeed Blade, then finally settled on a 2001 Litespeed Ultimate in 2004 which still remains as my favorite ride today, over 30k miles ridden on it..
Along with the Ultimate, I have another 2001 Litespeed Blade as my current TT bike.
Last year, I bought a Lynskey titanum disc road frame for under $500, built it up as a complete bike with misc parts in my basement for under $1200.
It's a ride anywhere, put it away wet, forget it and ride it againt without washing kind of bike. Minimal care required.
With over two decades of experience in fitting hundreds of customers for to regular factory-frame-sized bikes.
Personally, with expections of those that have extreme physical body type and very specific needs (riding extra long distances or long hours, extended racing careers) to compensate; custom frames can be overkills.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Berzin1

by Berzin1

Custom geometry is something I believe in. The major brands, for all intent and purposes, tell consumers what they should want . I'm tired of that. I also appreciate dealing directly with the manufacturer and not having supurfluous middlemen making money off me the consumer, while adding nothing but another mouth taking a bite out of me.

If I have to start out having to slam my seat all the way back, that's unacceptable. Also, it messes with the overall balance having to put more weight on the rear wheel, when there's a better way to achieve a proper fit.

And for the record, I'm very happy reading opposing viewpoints. Keep 'em coming!!!

Berzin1

by Berzin1

Double post.

none

by none

If you do not have an extreme physical ouline that require custom geometry, then it would be something necessary if you spend 6-8 hours a day on a bike, your livelyhood is depended on your performance on the bike, or you simply have disposable income and willing to spend the money to obtain something that can easily be compensated with more cost effective ways on a factory-sized bike.

I always ask my customer what they are looking to accomplish with their new bike purchase, instead of going for the more difficult and expensive route of solving the frame fitting problem with custom frame. If a custom frame does not fit your needs for riding, you will still be unhappy with the bike even if it fits you perfectly.

Berzin1

by Berzin1

The price was more than reasonable, which is why I endeavored on this project. So no worries there.

none

by none

Good luck then...
Usually when I fit a bike to a demanding customer, I ride with him/her for a good 20 miles to visualy see how they ride on their own bike first.