Help with choice of bike

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nottyfruit

by nottyfruit

hi everyone,
not sure if this is the right forum to post but i'll give it a go, otherwise moderator please move it. thanks.

looking to get an all round bike but undecided with the choices.
my list are as such considering my budget not according to preference

1) Wilier Cento Air 10 rim brake - around USD1700 (new)
2) Wilier Cento Air NDR -around USD2000 (new)
3) Colnago C60 rim brake - around USD1600 (used but in very good condition)
4) Colnago V2R rim brake - around USD2500 (new)
5) Perhaps the Canyons (Ultimate or Endurace)

a little background about myself and riding style.
i'm 51 yo, fairly flexible and fit, i hope. usually ride about 3-4 times a week ranging from 35km to 90km per ride with climbs (anywhere from 500m to 1000m) and flats. Occasionally would go above 100km distance (a handful of times a month).
The current bike i'm riding is a Merlin Magia with Campagnolo Record mech. 11sp group set, china rim, sapim x-ray spokes with Easton echo hubs and Schwalbe Pro one 25mm tubeless tires.
It's titanium but i feel it's not as comfortable as a titanium bike should be possibly due to the racey geometry.

So why am i looking for another bike? To get more comfortable on road chatters, to keep pace on the flat (usually 30-35kmh, occasions hit 40+ kmh), go on longer rides comfortably. But mainly not to be sore so that i can ride pretty much everyday :D.
sometimes i need to skip a day or two due to fatigue from road chatter.

from the list above the obvious choice, budget wise, is Wilier Cento Air 10, but is it a comfortable bike? i'm looking to set it up with 28mm tubeless for sure.
anyone has ridden it compared to Cento NDR to see how they compare?
Colnago C60 is it as good as it's raved?
Colnago V2R a little off budget, anyone with a ride experience to chime in?

appreciate all the feedback.

TVMIA.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Trek Domane? Good for aging gentlemen.

/a

kode54

by kode54

i doubt if you're going to get a more comfortable ride with any of the bike frames mentioned. you're already on titanium (even tho race geometry) and 25mm. agree with @alcatraz that maybe you need ISOspeed elastometers to soften your ride...or try going to 28mm tires.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

hannawald

by hannawald

Canyon bikes are considered very comfortable, both Ultimate and Endurace. Independent tests confirm that. With 28mm tubeless tyres you will be good. They are also very light frames with aero features. If you don't request italian style (Colnago, Willier) Canyons may be best in terms of ride quality.

nottyfruit

by nottyfruit

thanks very much for your replies guys.

trek domane totally off budget.

canyons i would have to import. unless used.

the other four bikes are sold locally.

hannawald

by hannawald

C60 is already old model, that would put me off.
I have read 4 reviews on Cento, should be comfortable for aero bike but in one review they said it is flexy so not a good climber..
Out of those I would choose V2r, it is a super bike, 2500 usd is nice price for it. It is also a looker in red..not made in Italy but as for ride quality among best. Comfortable with some aero features, modern bike.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Where did you find a review that said the Cento10 Air was flexy? I'd say it climbs better than my Supersix Evo did. And more comfortable to boot.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Gotcha. They almost used "frame" and "bar/stem" interchangeably. I have never used the Alabarda on my Cento10 but, as far as I'm concerned, the frame gives up nothing in "BB stiffness" compared to my T2 and C60 - and definitely feels more responsive than the newest Evo Hi Mod

silvalis

by silvalis

You may struggle to fit a 28 into a C60. Not sure about a V2R.
Chasse patate

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Later C60s had more tire clearance - my blue bike had no issues clearing 27mm tubulars but the 2014 was a bit limited. I suspect V2r would have plenty of clearance. Gobs of clearance on the Wilier thanks to DM brakes.

Mockenrue

by Mockenrue

I have a V2-R. 28mm Vittoria Corsa clinchers (on Campag Boras) fit with plenty of space to spare, as did the same combination on the V1-r. They weren't my wheels so I didn't have a chance to try them in my C60.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I’m not aware that there was increased clearance on later C60’s. As far as I know it’s been the same since they were introduced. The C59, on the other hand, was given the early C60 fork during its final runs so there was some added clearance under the fork crown but the rear remained the same. The C60 will fit 25mm tires front and rear but you won’t be putting say, a Conti 4000 28mm tire comfortably in there, especially on any kind of a wider rim. Would need a C64 for that and even then, depending on the rim it could be tight. Tubulars not as much of an issue because different rim widths don’t alter their ultimate volume as they do with clinchers. Anyway, I’m good with running 25mm tubulars on all my Colnagos. It’s my preferred width.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

AJS914

by AJS914

The current bike i'm riding is a Merlin Magia with Campagnolo Record mech. 11sp group set, china rim, sapim x-ray spokes with Easton echo hubs and Schwalbe Pro one 25mm tubeless tires.
It's titanium but i feel it's not as comfortable as a titanium bike should be possibly due to the racey geometry.

So why am i looking for another bike? To get more comfortable on road chatters, to keep pace on the flat (usually 30-35kmh, occasions hit 40+ kmh), go on longer rides comfortably. But mainly not to be sore so that i can ride pretty much everyday :D.
sometimes i need to skip a day or two due to fatigue from road chatter.

It sounds like you need wider rims, wider rubber, and maybe lower pressures. What wheels/tires/pressures are you running now? Can you fit bigger on your Merlin?

I just moved to NM and am dealing with rough chip-sealed farm roads. I just got some wheels with 25mm wide rims, 25mm GP4000s (27mm wide), and I can run them at 65/75psi without any problem. I was using some older Ksyriums with 23mm Gp4000s @ 85psi. The new wheels are so much more comfortable. Unfortunately, I'm at the limit of my C59 frame with these 27mm wide tires.

If I were looking for a new frame, my priority would be being able to run 30mm wide rims with a 28mm GP5000 that would measure out to around 30mm - similar to the Enve 4.5 AR SES system. I'd run them at 60 psi.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nottyfruit

by nottyfruit

I have read 4 reviews on Cento, should be comfortable for aero bike but in one review they said it is flexy so not a good climber..
Thanks, i appreciate professional reviews but they're on a different level so i always take it with a pinch of salt, i prefer the reference of "normal" people haha.

I have a V2-R. 28mm Vittoria Corsa clinchers (on Campag Boras) fit with plenty of space to spare,
please share your riding experience with your bike with that set up. responsiveness, compliance, climbing, long distance riding etc. thanks.

What wheels/tires/pressures are you running now? Can you fit bigger on your Merlin?
i'm currently running 25mm external width carbon rims with Schwalbe Pro one tubeless 25mm. Can't fit 28mm. and i'm running tire pressure at 60-65psi.

also any difference between direct mount and conventional mount rim brakes in the wet for carbon rims?
with direct mount i will be able to fit wider tires and still use back my current wheels, otherwise i would have to consider disc brakes and that will leave me with Wilier Cento Air NDR as the only option locally.
Anyone with feedback on the NDR?