Kcnc SC Wing or other stem?

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
hannawald

by hannawald

Thinking about KCNC SC Wing, mainly for its -5 angle. My current stem is Kalloy Uno -7, with -5 I can have about 0.5cm spacers less and it will not look weird as 0 degree or positive rise stem. They will be about the same weight..
Is it OK stiff for 110mm length? From history couple of people were satisfied but hard to say what they were comparing to..

Another option may be Mcfk stem, it is -6, but 44mm stack height. But it may not help with look if you put instead of 20mm of spacers 15mm chimney and then higher stem..

Thanks.

by Weenie

Rudi

by Rudi

Personally I would stick with the kalloy. I have the KCNC in 100mm and it is fine, no problems other than the faceplate bolts started creaking after a number of years. I also have the kalloy on a few bikes (between me and my wife) and can't see a reason to buy anything else.
Cervelo R3 - 5.4kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=142420

hannawald

by hannawald

The reason is purely aesthetics, -5 vs -7 angle will do 3.5mm on height which means i can get rid of 0.5 cm spacer. I have nearly 3cm of spacers now, so it will help me a bit. Just don't want to loose stiffness, i had Deda Superleggera RS stem and it was flexing a lot compared to Kalloy.

hannawald

by hannawald

I am hiding the spacers chimney with celeste painted Deda HSS spacers. But lowering 0.5 cm of spacers might help a bit.
Attachments
IMG_20181215_230430.jpg

Rudi

by Rudi

Not sure I can answer that one, sorry. I had the KCNC on an older Aeroad, which are not meant to be that stiff at the front. If there was flex then I wouldn't know if it was the frame or the stem. I did put the kalloy on as a replacement and noticed no difference, but that could just be me or the above frame flex overriding everything else. I'm 78kg or thereabouts.

I get your point about the angles/spacers though.
Cervelo R3 - 5.4kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=142420