TRP R970SL brakes ... rubber ring placement?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

StanK

by StanK

I managed to get probably one of the last pairs of TRP R970SL brakes in white. All good for now, but here is question.
What is the purpose of that small rubber/silicone ring?

On the brakes unmounted in the box it was like that, on bottom of barrel adjuster, barely holding on it, and I leave it there when brakes are mounted. Now, when riding, it's just slide down on brake wire and hanging there with no purpose.

Is this wrong place for it, should be somewhere else? I mean, I can get it back up on the adjuster, but sooner or later, when riding, it will again slide down with ease. :noidea:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

liam7020

by liam7020

Think it might just be there to hold the adjuster in place in the box until the caliper is actually mounted.
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

StanK

by StanK

It makes sense. Guy at the LBS told me almost the same, but wasn't sure. So I was leave it there.

I thought maybe that ring goes between barrel adjuster and brakes body, so when slides off (aka quick release) not to scratch paint on brakes. But maybe not. :D
I don't recall Shimano had some ring there, but I never looked.

Beaver

by Beaver

Liam is right - they have no other purpose than making sure the barrel adjuster doesn't get lost when the brake is not mounted. ;)

Those are nice brakes, I also have some sets on several bikes - not as strong as the new Shimano brakes or direct mount ones, but not really weaker than the older models or SRAM Red. For me they are all I need. And they are pretty and light. ;)

liam7020

by liam7020

Yep, nice brakes. I have them on a couple of bikes, the stopping power is good and they're pretty light.
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

StanK

by StanK

Ok, that's it then, ring goes to the box. Thanks guys, I really appreciate.
User manual not mentioned that part at all. And Tektro is obviously "too big" company to answer on such inquiry.

Yes, brakes are really nice. In fact, the only ones lighter than "Big 3" top models, with dual pivot design, no bad reviews and that I really likes the look.
Although, on first ride (with new Shimano pads) I thought "oh my, that was bad braking", but from there it's been better and better. Obviously pads need few rides to get break in. As well as brakes itself, probably.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com