Argon18 sizing

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Byza

by Byza

Hi guys,

First time poster long time interested reader. Im looking at a new bike in the near future. I currently
ride an emonda alr 60cm.

I have been for a professional bike fit and included the diagram along for your interest. I am basically
after something a little more racy and different from and had settled on the Synapse before I came across the new Argon18 Gallium Pro disc. It is apparent at this stage i need something a little more upright I believe and this bike with its 3D fit system would work. My fitter has recommended a size M/L. Just wondering your thoughts on this before I go any further.

Thanks in advanceImage

B

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sfo423

by sfo423

Have no clue about your sizing but a 90 mil stem? was that recco'ed or that is currently on your bike? Regardless, get a shorter TT.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

sfo423 wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:57 am
Have no clue about your sizing but a 90 mil stem? was that recco'ed or that is currently on your bike? Regardless, get a shorter TT.
Why? These specs could be the best he is going to do on the bikes he is considering. This is what happens sometimes for people with long legs and short arms. A shorter TT (smaller bike) would most likely mean more spacers (already at 30 mm) under the stem. Tough to find a bike that would work with a saddle height of 80 cm and a top tube shorter than 55 cm.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

fa63

by fa63

Byza wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:40 pm
My fitter has recommended a size M/L.
I am looking on Argon 18's website, and I do not see a M/L size option:

https://www.argon18bike.com/uploads/fil ... m-disc.pdf

I think size L might work, but with a good stack of spacers, in addition to the 3D headtube extender.

I am also intrigued that your saddle height is almost 80 cm, but the saddle setback is only 34 mm. Do you have long legs but short femurs (which seems unlikely)?

RussellS

by RussellS

Something is wrong here. You claim to ride a 60cm Trek Emonda ALR. The 2019 60cm has a toptube of 58.6. And your frame picture has a toptube of 55.7cm. 3cm different. And a 9cm stem. Your picture has a center bottom bracket to top of saddle distance of 80cm. Mine is 79cm. But I would choose a 58cm Trek frame with 57cm toptube and 12cm stem. Your picture above matches well with the 56cm Trek Emonda ALR frame. It has a 56cm toptube. So why do you ride a 60cm Emonda??? If your frame diagram picture is correct, then you must be a very weirdly shaped person. Legs of a 6 foot tall person, and torse of a 5'6" person. And I don't even know what to make of the 9cm stem.

sparklywheels

by sparklywheels

RussellS wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:32 am
Something is wrong here. You claim to ride a 60cm Trek Emonda ALR. The 2019 60cm has a toptube of 58.6. And your frame picture has a toptube of 55.7cm. 3cm different. And a 9cm stem. Your picture has a center bottom bracket to top of saddle distance of 80cm. Mine is 79cm. But I would choose a 58cm Trek frame with 57cm toptube and 12cm stem. Your picture above matches well with the 56cm Trek Emonda ALR frame. It has a 56cm toptube. So why do you ride a 60cm Emonda??? If your frame diagram picture is correct, then you must be a very weirdly shaped person. Legs of a 6 foot tall person, and torse of a 5'6" person. And I don't even know what to make of the 9cm stem.
Well everyone’s shaped differently... I have a 90 cm inseam at 182 cm tall, so what frame size would you put me on? It’s difficult to fit uncommon bodies because bikes are designed around the average, and some compromises need to be made.

sparklywheels

by sparklywheels

Byza wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:40 pm
Hi guys,

First time poster long time interested reader. Im looking at a new bike in the near future. I currently
ride an emonda alr 60cm.

I have been for a professional bike fit and included the diagram along for your interest. I am basically
after something a little more racy and different from and had settled on the Synapse before I came across the new Argon18 Gallium Pro disc. It is apparent at this stage i need something a little more upright I believe and this bike with its 3D fit system would work. My fitter has recommended a size M/L. Just wondering your thoughts on this before I go any further.

Thanks in advanceImage

B

May I ask why you want to be more upright? Is it pain/discomfort or simply personal preference. It’s counter intuitive but being more upright does not necessarily mean more comfortable. How tall are you by the way and what’s your inseam about?

sfo423

by sfo423

Look at at the Altum or Roadmachine. I’d suggest sizing down: go for more post.

I have similar fit issues and you need to look at a lot of options. Similar to the Argon is the R5 but slightly longer reach.

sparklywheels wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:30 am
RussellS wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:32 am
Well everyone’s shaped differently... I have a 90 cm inseam at 182 cm tall, so what frame size would you put me on? It’s difficult to fit uncommon bodies because bikes are designed around the average, and some compromises need to be made.

ChiZ01

by ChiZ01

those measurements really don't mean much because each frame has different HT angel, ST angle, and BB drop. the fitter should have provided stack and reach, they are the only absolute value because they are relative to the BB

Karvalo

by Karvalo

I don’t like criticising any bike fit or position without seeing the rider in motion on it first... but that looks like a pretty rubbishy bike fit.

I wouldn’t have much confidence recommending any specific bikes based on it, tbh.

Byza

by Byza

Hi guys, thanks so much for all the replies.

To put into context, the Trek was bought and ridden for past 3 years. Approx half the time I go riding I
get lower back pain after riding for about 90mins. Not all the time, but most times.

My inseam is 95cm. Does this help at all. So the trek i currently have is too big apparently. The fitter said I was long in leg, short torso.

Does this help. I am a bit
perplexed by it all. Sometimes I have no back pain at all on the trek but others i do. Ive tried shorter stems, different saddle positions and just cant get comfortable.

This guy who did the fit came highly recommended by others I ride with.

rgds

B

Sjoerd

by Sjoerd

I know it's all very personal, and I don't want to cause any confusion but I am at 81,5 cm saddle height with a 91/92 cm inseam. To be honest, if your inseam is 95 cm the saddle height looks to be a bit on the low side.

fa63

by fa63

Byza wrote:My inseam is 95cm. Does this help at all. So the trek i currently have is too big apparently. The fitter said I was long in leg, short torso.
How tall are you?

Byza

by Byza

Thanks guys Ill check seat height again. Im 193cm.

Sjoerd

by Sjoerd

I have the 91-92 cm inseam at 187 cm and I think I have long legs and a short torso. Maybe you are an exception to the rule, but a 55,7 cm top tube paired with a 9 cm stem does sound very short for someone who's 193 cm tall. For what it's worth...I ride a 59 cm Colnago Extreme C, which has a 57,1 cm (horizontal) toptube. I have a 12 cm stem in -17 degrees and my saddle is at 81,5 cm. Going by your inseam and overall length I would say you definately need a bigger frame than me.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com