Need an impossible bike

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Shrike

by Shrike

Thought I was past the N+1 stage, but it bit me last month and I've finished that build. Not satisfied though, the floodgates are open and I need one more. This one is at the other end of the scale though. I need a beater bike that's cheap enough that I won't be completely gutted if it gets stolen.

Here's what I want from it or what to do on it:

Cheap
Commute
Cross
Winter base miles
Single ring
Doesn't look like ass
Doesn't look so flash that it'll attract scum
Can be fun enough to want to stick on narrow tyres and do ultra distances on

I'm thinking something that will be on sale come Jan or even now will be my best bet. I was eyeing up the Canyon Grail AL single ring, but it's 1400 and I'd prefer something sub 1k.

Any ideas what might fit the bill?

Also will want a cheap and discreet power meter..

SilentDrone

by SilentDrone

Get something used.

by Weenie

Shrike

by Shrike

I was a bit surprised at the dearth of decent bikes on eBay. Thought I could snap up a Focus Mares (have a thing for Focus cross bikes) at a good price, but there's hardly anything there. Maybe it's the worst time to buy a cross bike, suppose everyone's getting into it around this time of year.

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

Used giant tcx advanced sx, or maybe one of the aluminum versions with a force groupo

morganb

by morganb

Every time I tell myself I'm going to buy a beater bike it eventually ends up with Dura Ace and fancy wheels.

Wookski

by Wookski

Spooky gas mask in raw alloy- shopping trolley chic. Here’s a pic of one of my previous spooky parts bin/ travel bikes. Ignore the AX wheels, I was predominantly running Bora One 35:

F45

by F45

I picked up a Fuji cross bike for $500 that fit your specs.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

C’dale Topstone?

mrlobber

by mrlobber

morganb wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:44 am
Every time I tell myself I'm going to buy a beater bike it eventually ends up with Dura Ace and fancy wheels.
This.

Although recently, I've convinced myself Ultegra is good enough.
Retired bikes: Cervelo S5 2015 / Felt AR FRD 2014 / Cannondale SS HM 2014 / Scott Addict SL 2014 / Scott Plasma Premium 2014 / Orbea Orca 2008 / Look 596 /

Shrike

by Shrike

Yeah same here, I've never not immediately started upgrading a bike before. This will be a real test :P

Checked the above options but no joy. Found a new 2018 CAADX in a burgundy colour that's nice and autumny looking in my size. £800 but if they'll take a Cycle to Work voucher will take it to around £500ish 8)

Tiagra on it, but should be enough to last at year of abuse then I can get 1x on it. Have a feeling the Tiagra disc brakes are going to be a ball ache.

Would prefer this colour and still on the lookout for one:

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

OP, are you space limited and therefor need one bike to fit all those criteria? I see 2 different very cheap to cheap bikes to fill those criteria. For example, I have 2 different townies. Combined they cost less than $700 and accomplish their slightly different tasks better than a single $700 bike would. And if one gets stolen I'm only out $350ish.

Here's your criteria split into 2 bikes:
Cheap, commute, doesn't attract scum, maybe single ring (spend as little as possible)
Cross, winter base miles, doesn't look like ass, single ring (spend the rest of your budget)

Shrike

by Shrike

Very intuitive! Yes space is an issue for us. Two bed city flat, lucky if it has 60sq meters. This will be the 4th bike in the place. Could easily jump to 6 or 8 if we both had all the bikes we want but we’d be bathing, sleeping and dining with the bikes then :P

Cleaning this bike will be an issue for me too because we’ve nearly finished a complete renovation so now I’ve got to look after this posh new wood floor. Actually think it’ll be easier than carpet as oil should just wash off if treated right. Anyway that’s another story. Maybe time to get a power washer instead of cleaning bikes in the bathroom. Was hoping to get out of the city and into somewhere more rural but plans changed so.. it’s on the cards. And then I’ll fill the place with tons of bikes :D

DJT21

by DJT21

Shrike wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:10 am
Yeah same here, I've never not immediately started upgrading a bike before. This will be a real test :P

Checked the above options but no joy. Found a new 2018 CAADX in a burgundy colour that's nice and autumny looking in my size. £800 but if they'll take a Cycle to Work voucher will take it to around £500ish 8)

Tiagra on it, but should be enough to last at year of abuse then I can get 1x on it. Have a feeling the Tiagra disc brakes are going to be a ball ache.

Would prefer this colour and still on the lookout for one:

I think the Tiagra model comes with the Promax calipers? I've never used them, but did own a set.
They certainly looked a bit cheap and agricultural, I doubt they'd perform particularly well.
First thing I'd do is swap them for some Spyre calipers: £35 at the cycleclinic https://thecycleclinic.co.uk/products/t ... and-rotors

As for the rest of it, it's all functional, heavy kit.

I'd probably do a custom build with a second hand frame/forks/wheels/finishing kit if I were you.

DJT21

by DJT21

Here's another option for you: https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-c ... -tiagra-1/

The components look better and I think they'd have a higher resale value if you were to swap them out.

It's also got a full carbon fork so I think it'd be a good bit lighter than the CAADX.

Shrike

by Shrike

Ribble looking good, will shortlist it. Found a great deal on a Ridley X Night but it’s a 52cm and I usually ride a 54. I’m 5ft 10.5.

Not sure if I can get away with it. Toe overlap etc. No clue about the geometry of these sorts of bikes or handling.

by Weenie