Handlebar height and comfort

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

themidge

by themidge

I think there's a sweet spot when it comes to handlebar height. Obviously you can go too low, but there's definitely a case for avoiding going too high as well. I find that with my pretty normal amount of drop (I want to say 10cm, but I'm not sure) that I can ride all day and get more and more comfortable the longer I'm on the bike. The hoods should definitely never feel too low, even on a long ride, but I think it's okay if you start to feel it in the drops after half an hour, they're supposed to be for being aero after all!

mattr

by mattr

TBH, when i was racing, the harder i was going, the less uncomfortable the drops were.
So at anything north of maybe 80% effort, even if it was intervals, i could happily sit on the drops for a couple of hours.
Rolling along at half effort, it'd get uncomfortable after 20-30 minutes, weight distribution was different, muscle useage was different etc.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jih

by jih

It depends on the intensity of the ride. If you're increasing your power, lower might be more comfortable. But, on an easy ride, I find that low is not comfortable at all.

On a 10 mile road bike TT I have my bars about 25mm lower than on a double century. Both are comfortable for their application.

sfo423

by sfo423

Get a shorter stem or shorter reach bar, or both.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Here's a good one - I have two spinal injuries, one in my lower back and one in my neck. My back injury requires a low bar position. The more horizontal my back, the less vertical compression on the damaged lumbar vertebrae. The neck injury requires an upright position because it can be painful to hold my head up when my torso is horizontal. The solution - I have my bar at a medium height and alternate between super aero on the drops and sitting straight up with hands on the tops. I can handle about 30 minutes of each max before I have to switch. It's a crazy business this cycling thing. :)
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

^

The real solution here is a recumbent because yeah I don’t want to aggravate preexisting spinal injuries.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:27 am
^
The real solution here is a recumbent because yeah I don’t want to aggravate preexisting spinal injuries.
That is some harsh medicine. I guess for some it's the only option. Is there such a thing as a 13 or 14 pound recumbent? :D

My solution has been dextrose injections into the surrounding muscles to stabilize the lower spine. For the neck I just make sure I use the lightest helmet possible. And for both I use a coctail of drugs. I doubt I'd pass doping contol :P

The bike is good for some back conditions. Having three points of the body connected to a solid object helps stabilize things. As we know, the key is to be able to roll the pelvis forward to maintain the spine in a straight line. For many it doesn't even matter how horizontal - as long as the spine is relatively straight. Saddle choice and tilt is critical.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

F45

by F45

sparklywheels wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:08 am
I’m not crazy like my club mates tell me then! :D. How tall are you guys by th me way, since I think tall riders tend to have more drop.
6'. Barely above manlet by US standards.

JerryLook

by JerryLook

6’ here as well. It would make sense that a taller person would have more saddle to bar drop since they probably have longer arms.
2010 Orbea Opal 54cm
5.97kg

guyc

by guyc

Mr.Gib wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:27 am
Here's a good one - I have two spinal injuries, one in my lower back and one in my neck. My back injury requires a low bar position. The more horizontal my back, the less vertical compression on the damaged lumbar vertebrae. The neck injury requires an upright position because it can be painful to hold my head up when my torso is horizontal. The solution - I have my bar at a medium height and alternate between super aero on the drops and sitting straight up with hands on the tops. I can handle about 30 minutes of each max before I have to switch. It's a crazy business this cycling thing. :)
Exactly what I do - legacy of a broken neck and snapped shoulder blade/shoulder dislocation.