Enve 3.4 Disc vs 4.5 Disc

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

trainergav

by trainergav

Hey gang,

Long time listener, first time caller. I am in the market for a new disc wheelset and have narrowed it to either an Enve 3.4 or 4.5. I was pretty convinced that I wanted a set of 3.4's as it is quite hilly here in Vancouver, BC and I do alot of riding on the North Shore, but the reviews for the 4.5's are pretty great.

It looks like the weight difference is about 85g of rolling resistence between the two plus the difference for the wider tires it'll need to run but the 4.5's would be better on rollies and flats.

It would be my only dry weather wheelset so it'll have to do everything from riding in the flats to climbs up the North Shore mountains and a bit of gravel. I do however have a gravel/winter bike so the wheels wouldn't have to do too much gravel except for special occassions.

Any input between the two wheels would be very much appreciated! Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

are you ready for the limited number of tires you can actually use on the 4.5's.. 28c and up only.. tubeless only.. they are very wide rims ~31mm and 28c tires will be 32mm plus.

other then that I love my 4.5ARs
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

markdjr

by markdjr

If you aren't using it for Winter/Gravel, I would look at the 5.6 Disc. I have the 3.4 rim brake and 4.5 AR disc, I like them both a lot. The 5.6 are about 100g heavier but will benefit from the most recent work Enve has done behind the scenes and Aero trumps weight a majority of the time. Also, the 5.6 will look way better than the 3.4.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

OP : are these for your checkpoint.. or another bike?
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2023 Pivot E-Vault

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I would get one of the 3.4s or 5.6s, and then later on get the other. The 4.5s are firmly in the middle...a Jack of all trades, master of none.

Bordcla

by Bordcla

Very impressed with my 4.5ARs on my Aeroad. Running them with the ubiquitous Conti GP4000sII tires, with tubes, with Enve's blessing, and I have nothing but good things to say. Bike is fast as hell, rides like a magic carpet, accelerates quickly, grip galore in the turns, and more cushion than you will have ever experienced if you ride bad pavement. Running 55 psi front and 60 psi rear at 180 lbs. Not a hint of squirming, unlike with a narrower profile inner rim. Perfect for real world riding (if you like your real world riding very fast...)

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I dont have much time on my 5.6s... I have too many sets around the 50mm deep range.. so if the 4.5AR fit my BMC and my Tri Bike.. I'm going to be awful tempted to sell my 5.6 and move to 7.8 or just get a Roval321 for the TT bike. The 4.5AR are really nice wheels. I also have CLX50 disc.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2023 Pivot E-Vault

trainergav

by trainergav

spdntrxi wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:54 am
OP : are these for your checkpoint.. or another bike?
Hi all,

Thanks for all of your responses! And I apologize that I started a new thread when there was already the exact same one from a few months ago. I didn't see it until I posted. My bad.

Regarding which bike it would go on, I also have a BMC Roadmachine 02, which is what I would put the 3.4/4.5's on. That being said, they would both be far superior to the DT Swiss's that I am curently riding on the Checkpoint ALR so I can see a wheel swap for special occasion gravel rides..

moyboy

by moyboy

Make sure you check the 4.5 AR allowed tire list too. Since it's a hookless rim.

trainergav

by trainergav

Thank you for your responses, after much hemming and hawing I decided to go with the 4.5's! They should be at the shop by next week and the plan is to run them with Schwalbe Pro One's. Sadly for my finances but happily for my Strava results I also found a wicked deal on a Cervelo R5D frameset to go with this. Will be eating KD for awhile but it'll be a sweet setup when it's all together.

AnkitS

by AnkitS

If you are not racing, I would go with the 4.5's larger tires equate to a comfier ride and time over hills doesn't matter. If you are racing or do a lot of group riding, then I would go with the 3.4s, I am under the opinion that if you are behind someone else's wheel, the depth of your wheel loses a lot of its impact and the 3.4s are going to accelerate faster and be faster up hills. How much do you weigh btw? 85g won't really matter if you are a taller/bigger rider.

scb

by scb

i had this decision to make recently. Do a lot of group rides. So opted for 3.4s on windy/hill climbing days and 5.6s on less windy/roller and flat days.

trainergav

by trainergav

icantaffordcycling wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:50 am
If you are not racing, I would go with the 4.5's larger tires equate to a comfier ride and time over hills doesn't matter. If you are racing or do a lot of group riding, then I would go with the 3.4s, I am under the opinion that if you are behind someone else's wheel, the depth of your wheel loses a lot of its impact and the 3.4s are going to accelerate faster and be faster up hills. How much do you weigh btw? 85g won't really matter if you are a taller/bigger rider.
Thanks, I'm 68kg but I'm commited to the 4.5's as they're due to arrive at my LBS any minute now. I figure that the 4.5's will still be lighter than the Fulcrum Quattro's that I am coming from and the 28mm tubeless tires will be helpful on our crappy roads..

moyboy

by moyboy

Do what makes you happy! congrats on the purchase!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nycebo

by nycebo

Let us know how they fit and if there is any rub. I'm eyeing those same wheels.