What to buy ... Domane, Defy or Roubaix?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dim

by dim

Hi Guys ....

I'm looking at buying a new bike for long Audax rides. Looking for something lightweight, comfortable for long distance, can use 28mm tubeless tyres and take fenders/mudguards

So far, my 1st choice is the Domane, 2nd choice is a defy advanced and 3rd choice is the Roubaix. I will add dynamo lights, mudguards, and a stages power meter and I will also use this bike as my daily commuter (35-40km/day)

I will be looking at the 2nd hand market so I will not be able to test ride one.

My other bike is a Giant TCR with Dura Ace 9000 and HED Belgium Plus wheels with Chris King hubs (ceramic bearings), and I'm very happy with this bike and will keep it, but want something similar and a bit more 'relaxed' fo longer all day rides and commuting.

Any other suggestions?
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

diegogarcia

by diegogarcia

New Defy Adv pro 1 or pro 0.

Stunning bit of kit. Apparently wins the bike shootout in this months cycling plus and stacked up against a new Madone too.

The pro 0 is everything a modern bike should be if we are being railroaded into disc, this would be my choice.

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

I’d go for a Cervelo C2 or C3. Something different yet brilliant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Focus Izalco Max - 4.84kg without pedals
Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg
Trek Madone SLR Rim - 7.73kg
Standert Triebwerk Disc - 8.47kg

dim

by dim

thanks for the responses .... some good suggestions .... my son just laughed and said that I will most probably buy a bike that I had never even considerd such as an S-Works Tarmac or venge .... (I always end up buying something totally different to what I research ) ... when I get paid, I HAVE to buy on the same day :D
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

dim wrote:thanks for the responses .... some good suggestions .... my son just laughed and said that I will most probably buy a bike that I had never even considerd such as an S-Works Tarmac or venge .... (I always end up buying something totally different to what I research ) ... when I get paid, I HAVE to buy on the same day :D
Tarmac or émonda disc can fit 28s easily so it wouldn’t exactly be the opposite of what you’re after.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Focus Izalco Max - 4.84kg without pedals
Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg
Trek Madone SLR Rim - 7.73kg
Standert Triebwerk Disc - 8.47kg

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

I don't have any first hand experience with these particular models but seeing as you mention weight, be wary of the Trek Domane. Yes the SLR is great but the lower models are battleship heavy.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

ilikegreen

by ilikegreen

The new (2018 model year) Cannondale Synapse seems to be listed in every comparison featuring the bikes you've listed.

Fenders, up to 32mm wheels, endurance geometry and comfort, Stages do a unit for the Hollowgram crank arm.

Not sure that they're all that available second hand yet. The earlier models do up to 28mm tyres only, don't have fender mounts built in, and are a touch heavier as well as less compliant. But more readily available second hand.

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

What size? I’m selling a 2017 56cm Domane SL disc frameset at the moment - nothing wrong with it, just time for change. PM if you’re keen.

Marin

by Marin

dim wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:16 pm
long Audax rides
comfortable for long distance,
can use 28mm
take fenders/mudguards
dynamo lights
as my daily commuter (35-40km/day)

My other bike is a Giant TCR with Dura Ace 9000 and HED Belgium Plus wheels with Chris King hub

You already have a China-built composite bike - nothing wrong with that - but for your needs you want a custom(?) steel or maybe titanum frame. You'll love it *much* more than another overmarketed fashion bike, believe me.

Put fast wide tires on and you won't notice any performance difference because there isn't one.

diegogarcia

by diegogarcia

Marin wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:08 am
dim wrote:
long Audax rides
comfortable for long distance,
can use 28mm
take fenders/mudguards
dynamo lights
as my daily commuter (35-40km/day)

My other bike is a Giant TCR with Dura Ace 9000 and HED Belgium Plus wheels with Chris King hub

You already have a China-built composite bike - nothing wrong with that - but for your needs you want a custom(?) steel or maybe titanum frame. You'll love it *much* more than another overmarketed fashion bike, believe me.

Put fast wide tires on and you won't notice any performance difference because there isn't one.
The Giant label is a seal of quality. Performance wise as fast as each other but certainly a reach gain on the Defy for example which is what the OP wants. :thumbup:

amngwlvs

by amngwlvs

I test rode a 2017 Defy AP0 before buying my TCR and it was certainly much more lively than I expected from an "endurance" bike. While I only rode in a parking lot I can't vouche for it's comfort on long rides relative to your TCR but it was an impressive bike.

I think the Defy would offer better value for dollar than the Domane or Roubaix.
2018 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc
2015 Giant Propel Advanced 2
2013 Trek 520

Phuddy

by Phuddy

Test ride some of the gravel bikes, they’ll give you the comfort of the endurance bikes but open up a whole new world of cycling for you.

dim

by dim

Phuddy wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:44 pm
Test ride some of the gravel bikes, they’ll give you the comfort of the endurance bikes but open up a whole new world of cycling for you.
I owned a Whyte Suffolk gravel bike for a few months (aluminium, with carbon forks) .... It was comfy, but it was slow (compared to my TCR) ....

nice for a commute bike, but I'm looking at something a bit lighter and more exciting to ride. I'm looking very closely t the Tarmac .... there are some reasonably priced ones in my size (52cm) on Ebay at the moment. I'm not sure if 28mm tyres will fit, and if I have to have mudguards for some Audax rides, I will look at Crud mudguards or similar. (on some Audax rides, mudguards arerequired by the organizers)

Payday is on the 21st and I'd like to have the new bike before Christmas (I might attempt the Strava Rapha 500 challenge over Christmas/New Year)

I also like the Defy :noidea:
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

themidge

by themidge

dim wrote:
bike for long Audax rides.
lightweight,
comfortable
28mm tubeless tyres
fenders/mudguards
I will add dynamo lights
Custom all the way. You've basically described the kind of long distance/randonneur/audax bike that quite a few custom builders will knock up for you.
Maybe something like this:
I know I want one!
dim wrote: I will be looking at the 2nd hand market
Oh :?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dim

by dim

themidge wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:39 pm
dim wrote:
bike for long Audax rides.
lightweight,
comfortable
28mm tubeless tyres
fenders/mudguards
I will add dynamo lights
Custom all the way. You've basically described the kind of long distance/randonneur/audax bike that quite a few custom builders will knock up for you.
Maybe something like this:
I know I want one!
dim wrote: I will be looking at the 2nd hand market
Oh :?
I have £1600-£2k to spend .... with that money on the 2nd hand market, I'm hoping for something pretty decent 8)

The bike that you show, looks more like a touring bike .... I'm after something a bit more 'sporty'

something that looks similar to this:

Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand