Giant/Liv carbon steerer marks (Giant owners please chime in)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sparklywheels

by sparklywheels

Hey guys, so I just got a new bike and was adjusting my handlebars when I found these marks on the steerer... Is it normal or should I go back to the shop to complain? I’m probably cutting off this section anyway, but I can’t tell if the marks are problematic as it does seem to be just the clearcoat. Anyone with a Giant/Liv mind giving their opinions? Thanks!
IMG_0081.jpg
Last edited by sparklywheels on Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:20 am, edited 3 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

westham7

by westham7

Take it in immediately that's a warranty issue

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

That's a lot worse then just "marks". Almost looks like some cracks. Even if you cut off the affected area, do you know for certain they rest of the steerer is perfectly sound?
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

sparklywheels

by sparklywheels

Mr.Gib wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:56 am
That's a lot worse then just "marks". Almost looks like some cracks. Even if you cut off the affected area, do you know for certain they rest of the steerer is perfectly sound?
They're not cracks, excepting the spot near the very top, which is probably damaged. The rest does look like the clearcoat came off, as I inspected the stem and found no edges sharp enough to do that kind of damage. Removing and reinstalling the stem made some more of those scratches so the clearcoat seems pretty soft, but I'm not completely sure.

beanbiken

by beanbiken

Looks dodgy to me, even if it is ok I would suggest having it looked at by the shop you purchased it from. The worst they can say is that it is fine. I don't own a Giant but have heard great things about their back up so you may get to put that reputation to the test.

BB
BB

Coffee & carbon